Author Topic: After Update to 4.7.1001 in Vista x64 no access to Internet..?  (Read 5696 times)

FlyBye88

Thank goodness I have a dual-boot system which still has xp (and a different anti-vir-) I was notified that a programme update was available for avast! - I let it be d-loaded and installed. Result: no access under vista x64 to the Internet anymore?
Tried to repair avast! = No improvement.
Uninstalled avast! = no improvement.

So what now?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: After Update to 4.7.1001 in Vista x64 no access to Internet..?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 10:05:36 PM »
Even with avast uninstalled you can't connect the internet... if so, why do you think this is avast related?
Which firewall do you use? Any other antivirus in this Vista installation? Even in the past? Which one?
The best things in life are free.

FlyBye88

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 07:28:25 AM »
Even with avast uninstalled you can't connect the internet... if so, why do you think this is avast related?
Which firewall do you use? Any other antivirus in this Vista installation? Even in the past? Which one?

My impression that this is an avast- related problem comes from the fact that while the pc worked perfectly before it was right after doing this last avast update that the internet connectivity was gone.
There is no other anti-virus programme installed on the vista partition at the moment - I did once try agp or whatever it was called with no success and removed it also.  The avast installation has been working for some months with no problem - including a couple of programme- updates up until yesterday.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 01:01:45 AM »
Which is your avast version? 4.7.1001?
If you uninstall and install from the scratch, will it work?

FlyBye88

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 07:31:15 AM »
Which is your avast version? 4.7.1001?
If you uninstall and install from the scratch, will it work?

Yes it was while updating to version 4.7.1001 that the problem turned up. I had uninstalled it when not able to connect to the net anymore. Now I have (useing the xp installation on a different partition-) downloaded the setupger.exe <I am a British guy living in Germany - have a German OS> and done an install from scratch in the vista x64.  There is still no access to the net there.

(Perhaps it is relevant that I use the c-fos packet shaper.  But all was well with this also running alongside avast untill this recent attempt to update avast.)

Thanks for your assistance...

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 11:11:39 AM »
So, even after you UNINSTALLED the product the problem hasn't gone away?
And, by saying "cannot access the Internet" you mean the Web or other services such as PING etc?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

FlyBye88

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 02:14:16 PM »
So, even after you UNINSTALLED the product the problem hasn't gone away?
And, by saying "cannot access the Internet" you mean the Web or other services such as PING etc?

Thanks
Vlk

No after the uninstalling (+ restarting-) the problem was still there.
I normally use pppoe to access the internet - the connection cannot be made - I get a fault report number 814 saying the the underlying lan system cannot be found.  In the system-management (ger. Systemsteuerung - not sure of the term used in Engl.) the network adapter seems fine, no yellow exclamation mark next too it.

(Of course I tried to do a system restore.. but as this is a dual-boot system with xp - all the vista system-restore points are continually deleted when xp starts. This seems to be a know vista problem that I guess a vista-sp1 will hopefully address.)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2007, 05:59:54 PM »
(Of course I tried to do a system restore.. but as this is a dual-boot system with xp - all the vista system-restore points are continually deleted when xp starts. This seems to be a know vista problem that I guess a vista-sp1 will hopefully address.)
Do you mean all partitions restore points or only the Vista one?
It's strange that XP deletes a Vista restore point into Vista partition...
Can you explain me more about the problem? Thanks.

FlyBye88

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 07:46:23 AM »
Do you mean all partitions restore points or only the Vista one?
It's strange that XP deletes a Vista restore point into Vista partition...
Can you explain me more about the problem? Thanks.

I guess that you, your collegues have access to MS TechNet Forums - there you can find this theme discussed under "Windows Vista Setup-" Forum.

As far as I can figure out - it is the Vista one that goes.. and there has been the suggestion that if one switches off the system-restore on the xp - the vista one can be preserved (and xp is gone of course..) All this does not help when the incident <as above-> has already occured with no access to a sys-rest-point.