Author Topic: Are these cookies related to avast?  (Read 4853 times)

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Are these cookies related to avast?
« on: February 18, 2004, 08:19:03 PM »
Hi,

I don't worry too much about tracking cookies except the notorious ones like Doubleclick.  I do use Cookie Pal, which gets along tolerably with IE-6.  Tracking cookies generally can't cause problems other than increasing the volume of spam, right?

I've got a couple of odd ones, from navrcholu.cz and toplist.cz.  The domain obviously suggested they're possibly connected with avast, or at least your site servers.

They're odd in the sense that one of the navr... ones is over a week old (expiration, that is), and yet has not yet been deleted or replaced with a fresh one.  Ad-Aware has no complaint with either of them.

Do they sound familiar to any of the crew?  Maybe my best bet is simply to delete them, along with any "always accept" I might have set up for them, and see where and if they re-appear.

This would probably be more at home over at Wilders, but I thought I'd try here first because of their ".cz".

Thanks and best,
Mike

(edit) I've just done what I'd suggested above, deleted them.  And I found I'd set them up as "always accept" in both Cookie Pal and IE-6 Privacy (I think IE6 inherits Cookie Pal's filter settings), so deleted those permissions as well.  So now it'll have to ask again next time it runs into them (if it does), which will help track them down.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2004, 09:01:06 PM by MikeBCda »
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

stevejrc

Re:Are these cookies related to avast?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2004, 11:28:20 PM »
I dont think these are Avast cookies, there not on mine. Also toplist.cz is in IE-spyads definitions so its spyware.

I set my IE privacy to advanced (custom), block 3rd party (usually spyware cookies) and accept 1st party and session cookies.

I installed Spyware blaster / guard (blocks most spyware installs/disables) and IE-spyads (adds spyware sites to restricted sites zone). FREE...

kubecj

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2004, 01:25:30 AM »
stevejrc - I would like to see your definition of 'spyware'.

Tracker cookie, maybe.

Both toplist & navrcholu are used on our pages just for access counts. The cookies are there to avoid duplicities.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2004, 02:06:09 AM »
Both toplist & navrcholu are used on our pages just for access counts. The cookies are there to avoid duplicities.

Thanks, kubecj, question answered -- they're yours after all, which I'd guessed they might be. :)  I don't do a heck of surfing (from Ont. Canada) onto Cz sites except here, at least not that I've noticed.

Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

stevejrc

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2004, 02:47:15 AM »
stevejrc - I would like to see your definition of 'spyware'.

Tracker cookie, maybe.

I was just going by what the popular IE-SPYAD program below says, which contains toplist.cz in its list. So I presumed its spyware, as there list doesn't (normally) contain harmless "no. of visits" etc tracking cookies.

You may want to ask the author why he has it in his list ? I didn't know it was Avasts cookie and never meant to accuse Avast of using Spyware.

Avast rules!!

; --------------------------------------------------
;
; IE-SPYAD: Internet Explorer Restricted Sites List
;
; Copyright (c) 2000-2004 Eric L. Howes
; Contact: eburger68@myrealbox.com
; Download from: http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/
;
; --------------------------------------------------
;
; Note: This file will add a long list of known ad/spy domains & servers to the
; "Restricted sites" zone of Internet Explorer. It is based in part on info from
; the latest HOSTS file of Stephen Martin (http://www.smartin-designs.com/).

one of many entries:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\toplist.cz]
"*"=dword:00000004