Author Topic: Win32 Kuang Virus/Trojan  (Read 4796 times)

joeschmoe

Win32 Kuang Virus/Trojan
« on: February 15, 2004, 01:50:12 AM »
 :o I have just recently started using Avast AV (3 days) and this afternoon I came in and checked my machine once I started it (power save mode) Avast gave me the warning that Win32 Kuang or Win32 Kuang2 had infected my machine (don't remember which one it was) I then told Avast to repair the infected file some .dll file...It then closed the window and I guess it worked :o

Here's my problem I go into the logs and there is absolutely no entry for finding the virus/trojan or repairing the file or when I do a search I find no log information... How do I know
1 that the virus is repaired?  
2 how do I know that it was there to begin with?
3 Am I missing something here???

If I could find the information I would search and destroy my machine until ALL elements of this thing is gone but I don't know the exact file name because there is no log entry. Any and all help appreciated...

Del

Re:Win32 Kuang Virus/Trojan
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2004, 10:40:51 AM »
http://pestpatrol.com/pestinfo/k/kuang_2.asp

has manual removal instructions for kuang 2, I guess you could search your machine for the files listed here.
I couldn't find any info for 'kuang' only 'kuang 2'.
Good Luck.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2004, 01:27:52 PM »
Check this thread, please.

joeschmoe

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2004, 04:19:48 PM »
Igor,thanks for the info...I had used Pandas Online scanner to check my machine hopefully that was just a remnant file left over.   ::) So far I am very impressed with Avast Pro it beats Norton AV by miles...I will probably purchase it after my 60 day trial expires...How is this program at detecting scripts...Like javas and trojan dialers???

fabfudge

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2004, 08:04:08 AM »
I also have just installed Avast 4 (home edition) and straight away it picked out; -
Win32:Kuang2     (imscan.dll)
Win95:Matyas     (pav.sig)  This one was entered twice.
Avast placed them all in the virus vault.
Strange? My prior program (AVG) had not picked them up.
I had just uninstalled it before I installed Avast, and I had not been on the internet in between!
I thought it was just a dummy virus test to show that Avast was working.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2004, 09:41:18 AM »
As I wrote (or rather referenced) 2 posts above - it's a false alarm caused by Panda AV not encrypting their virus samples.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2004, 09:41:33 AM by igor »

fabfudge

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2004, 11:59:57 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D Many thanks Igor, it did have me wondering and just a wee bit concerned.