Author Topic: Windows Vista Problems After Downloading New Avast?  (Read 5156 times)

MTWieme

Windows Vista Problems After Downloading New Avast?
« on: May 03, 2007, 01:48:04 PM »
Hello,

I downloaded the new version of Avast 4 Home yesterday as the last thing I did before closing the sssion for that day. When I started my computer today (a 24 GH comp with 2 GB Ram and Windows Vista), it took him five minutes when before it took him roughly two. Same with shutting it down.

Besides, the computer also does not do the customary startup test at all (he is working on beginning it), when I open Avast. Yesterday he did it in a matter of seconds.

Might this be related to some sort of software clash with Vista? And how can I solve it?

Thanks for your help!

MTWieme

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Windows Vista Problems After Downloading New Avast?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 02:07:38 PM »
Something that you can try, Program Settings, Troubleshooting, tick the 'Delay loading of avast! services after other system services,' see image.

Some changes to speed up avast loading were made with the latest versions, ticking this should reverse that, see if it makes a difference. For most people they didn't have a problem with the normal loading, however this early loading helped a lot of people suffering a Red circle and bar over the avast icon (avast not running).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

MTWieme

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 02:17:01 PM »
Hi David!

Thanks for your help! I will try this and get back to you, if it does not work

MTWieme

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 02:27:00 PM »
No problem, later, it would be nice if you also confirmed if it worked.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

MTWieme

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 02:32:47 PM »
Well, I am back now and it did not work :( Instead, Vista also chose to swallow the icon in the menu bar :(

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the nice welcome :)

MTWieme

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 02:40:46 PM »
1. uncheck the setting and see if that takes you back to where you were.
But did it speed up the boot ?
If so leave it for the time being.

The loss of the avast icon is often associated with the presense of another security application killing the ashDisp.exe.

What other security based software do you have that might block new startup entries, e.g. Spybot S&D (TeaTimer), AdAware (AdWatch), SpySweeper, Spyware Doctor (StartUpGuard or OnGuard), PrevX, WinPatrol, ProcessGuard, etc. ?

As a temporary measure until this is resolved you can create a desktop shortcut for this file C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashDisp.exe (the avast icon and interface to the providers).  Right click on the file and select Send To, Desktop (create shortcut). You will need to run this after each boot until the problem is resolved.

Check the option in the Appearance tab of Program Settings. Or Make a link to ashdisp.exe in your startup folder.

MTWieme

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 02:51:30 PM »
1. uncheck the setting and see if that takes you back to where you were.
But did it speed up the boot ?
If so leave it for the time being.

The loss of the avast icon is often associated with the presense of another security application killing the ashDisp.exe.

What other security based software do you have that might block new startup entries, e.g. Spybot S&D (TeaTimer), AdAware (AdWatch), SpySweeper, Spyware Doctor (StartUpGuard or OnGuard), PrevX, WinPatrol, ProcessGuard, etc. ?

Sadly, it did not speed up the boot (neither the Vista one nor the Avast one). When I checked the settings, the box was unchecked again... Should that restore the icon during the next boot?

As for other software, I have nothing installed specifically, only what the Windows Vista premium package offers on first buying it.

MTWieme

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2007, 04:06:38 PM »
The Show avast! tray icon should be enabled by default, so yes it should be checked, the same as the animate the icon when scanning. So checking it should restore it on the next boot.

Was this a new system that came with Vista loaded ?
If so some system builders are in the habit of installing other software and a trial version of some AV or other.

Unfortunately I can't be any practically help with Vista as I don't have it installed.

As you said in the topic 'Problems After Downloading New Avast,' was this an update or full installation ?
What avast! version do you have (see about avast!, latest 4.7.1001) ?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 04:08:56 PM by DavidR »

MTWieme

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2007, 12:42:49 PM »
The Show avast! tray icon should be enabled by default, so yes it should be checked, the same as the animate the icon when scanning. So checking it should restore it on the next boot.

Was this a new system that came with Vista loaded ?
If so some system builders are in the habit of installing other software and a trial version of some AV or other.

As you said in the topic 'Problems After Downloading New Avast,' was this an update or full installation ?
What avast! version do you have (see about avast!, latest 4.7.1001) ?

The system is a Microstar 24 GH dual processor with 2 GB RAM, which I bought with Vista loaded already two weeks ago. It had a AV called Bullfighter installed but that one was removed when I had the PC configurated at the shop where I bought it.

It was an update that I had to configure meaning I had to approve the installation before it was done, because the only automatic updates are the ones for the database. I am on the newest version now.

Even if you cannot help me yourself, do you know where I could go and ask for help with the Vista boot?

thanks for the informaion so far :)

MTWieme

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2007, 03:16:53 PM »
I have to admit that I have never heard of an AV called Bullfighter, but one called BullGuard, so I will have to assume that whatever it was the shop has removed all traces, both on the program folder and registry, etc.

If you fully uninstalled avast and do a clean install, I wonder if the windows boot would be as normal or still experiencing this slowdown. If it does then you could contact the shop and see if they have any ideas. If not re-install

Before you uninstall it is best to have everything ready to reinstall so you don't go on-line unprotected.

Ensure you have your registry key that was emailed.

Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here and save it to your HDD so you can find it later.

Download the latest version of avast http://www.avast.com/eng/programs.html and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall.

Uninstall, reboot, run the uninstall utility, reboot, install, reboot.

I don't know if there are any Vista users on the forums that could help as many people experience of Vista is very limited.