Author Topic: Spybot compatibility  (Read 6694 times)

Don Pedro

Spybot compatibility
« on: February 18, 2004, 12:15:14 AM »
Is any problem using spybot and Avast! 4 Home/pro simultaneously?

whocares

Re:Spybot compatibility
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2004, 03:34:02 AM »
Nope.
they work well to gether..

you should just pause avast RS when scanning with spybot to speed up scanning.. ;)

techie101

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2004, 05:34:09 AM »
Don Pedro,

Avast has a negligible effect on how fast Spybot scans in actuality.  I use both at the same time.  

One peculiar thing you must be aware of is the Avast scan result.  If any files were put into the Spybot Recovery directory, Avast will not scan them and will alert you that the files are not accessible.

I only leave files in Spybot recovery until I am sure the system was not affected by their removal.  Then I delete them.

Good luck,
techie

Culpeper

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2004, 05:47:42 AM »
Question:  Aren't the spybot files deleted after a preset length of time?

Iso-G

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2004, 04:56:07 PM »
Hello Don,

I am a Japanese usesr.
An English software sometimes gives us (Japanese users) very big problem.
But I have used Spybot and Ad-aware with avast! since last September without any problems.
It does not need to be worried.    ;)
( I installed avast!4 Home last September.)

Iso-G

techie101

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2004, 05:07:29 PM »
Question:  Aren't the spybot files deleted after a preset length of time?

Spybot has the capability of selecting and deleting files over 30 days old, but this is a manual process.

In addition, you can set SB to append to the Log file or overwrite it with new files.

I am not aware of any "automatic" preset to delete files in SB nor would I advise doing so.   Automatic or preset deletions can get you in to trouble.  Usually it happens right after the files are deleted and you find that you need one!  ;D

Take Care
techie

PS:  If there is such a preset in SB, let me know.  I don't use it that much but information is always good.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2004, 05:09:16 PM by techie101 »

Lazaro

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2004, 06:29:51 PM »
Hola, Don Pedro, como soy traductor oficial de ambos programas, uso ambos y aparte se lo recomiendo a mis colegas, y nunca he visto ningun problema ni nadie me ha dicho nada al respecto.

Hi, Don PEdro, as translator of both programs, i use and recommend them both to my friends, and never have seen or heard about any incompatibility.

Culpeper

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2004, 09:24:09 PM »
I don't see any preset or automatic deletion options.  Just the default 30 day age of recovery.

bassbag

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2004, 09:27:44 PM »
I dont know whether its just my system (w98se p111 733mz,256 meg of ram) but i can effectively "freeze" my computer by setting standard shield (on access scanner) to scan ALL files ,and then doing a full scan with spybot.Avast seems to be scanning spybot log files as it scans and freezes the computer.Only setting the standard shield to HIGH (using the default) extensions fixes this problem.
me

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2004, 04:21:19 AM »
Is any problem using spybot and Avast! 4 Home/pro simultaneously?

Like whocares, techie and the others, no trouble with both programs running simultaneously...  ;)
The best things in life are free.