Author Topic: Home version on Win2003??  (Read 3720 times)

janvv

Home version on Win2003??
« on: February 18, 2004, 09:40:13 PM »
I'm running Win2003 on my home PC.
The setup complains about this and refuses to continue.

I just discovered that I can cheat the setup by running it in Win98 compatibility mode.
Before doing this: can I expect any problems if I install the software this way?

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
Re:Home version on Win2003??
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2004, 10:39:03 PM »
Firstly, it's madness if you had Win2003 on your home pc. Neither avast! home nor Pro version are not for this platform - only server edition.

janvv

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2004, 10:54:05 PM »
Madness??? >:(

I run my own mail- & webserver. I want to be able to logon remote when I'm not home. I want to be able to plug my notebook into the network.
So why is it madness to have a server OS on my desktop??

I did not ask an opinion about the software I run at home. And I know there's a server edition.  Just because I am so very mad (am I?) to run a server OS at home, I was wondering if somebody have tried what will happen if using the compatibilty options to be able to run programs that will not run otherwise.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2004, 11:25:43 PM »
I guess PK was trying to say that it's quite unlikely to have Win2003 for a "home non-commercial" usage.
If it's the case... that's a pity I'm afraid.
I think it's not a good idea to install avast! on Win2003 "as on Win98" - some parts may be heavily confused (e.g. the resident protection).

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2004, 12:12:37 AM »
I run my own mail- & webserver. I want to be able to logon remote when I'm not home. I want to be able to plug my notebook into the network.

Well you can do all this with WinXP or Win2K workstation as well... but anyway, I got your point, e.g. for developers Win2K3 servers is quite a usable system...

But as igor said - you're out of luck. avast Home doesn't support server OS's and it's very unlikely that we would change this policy anytime soon...

Sorry :-[

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.