Author Topic: Starting Avast modules manually  (Read 5419 times)

lazarus000

Starting Avast modules manually
« on: May 04, 2007, 01:24:01 AM »
is there a way to start avast modules manually?

for instance, if a i get "program is running so the XXXX module will not be started"

can i start this module manually after startup without rebooting?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Starting Avast modules manually
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 02:51:45 AM »
Can you be a little more specific, like the exact error text or screenshot of the error.

If there is an interaction like with another AV or security application that is causing avast to disable a module then that same issue would be present when trying to do a manual start. Since you didn't mention what module/provider I can't even guess ?

Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

What other security based software do you have an effect, e.g. Spybot S&D (TeaTimer), AdAware (AdWatch), SpySweeper, Spyware Doctor (StartUpGuard or OnGuard), PrevX, WinPatrol, ProcessGuard, etc. ?

I'm just about to turn in for the night almost 2 a.m. here, hopefully one of the other forum members wil pick up with yoyr additional information.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 03:12:24 AM »
Start button > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services
or run
net start "Service name"
But it will be good to know more info like David asked you...
The best things in life are free.

lazarus000

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 05:35:52 AM »
or run
net start "Service name"
thank you ... i will try it

btw - this is not a Avast problem, it's caused by other programs i use. Did you know that the new version of Zone Alarm firewall/antivirus shows up listed as Kasparsky by Avast?

lazarus000

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 06:03:57 AM »
or run
net start "Service name"
didn't work .... all it does it restart the modules that are already functional.

haven't found a way to enable a module once it's not initial during boot.

that would be a good feature for a new version

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 07:49:28 AM »
Did you try left click the "a" icon, near the clock, select the provider you want to start, and click the start button?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 02:00:45 PM »
btw - this is not a Avast problem, it's caused by other programs i use. Did you know that the new version of Zone Alarm firewall/antivirus shows up listed as Kasparsky by Avast?

If you are trialing their suite of free version with all the add ons (that they would like you to buy) then the AV elements must be disabled/uninstalled.

Having two resident scanners installed is not recommended as rather than provide twice the protection it can cause conflicts that could leave you more vulnerable.

or run
net start "Service name"
didn't work .... all it does it restart the modules that are already functional.

that would be a good feature for a new version

As I said previously if the problem is on of interaction/conflict with something else. No point in trying to have a new feature to start a provider that might cause conflict, the very reason why avast is disabling it in the first place.

Quote from: DavidR
If there is an interaction like with another AV or security application that is causing avast to disable a module then that same issue would be present when trying to do a manual start. Since you didn't mention what module/provider I can't even guess ?

So you should uninstall the Zone Alarm AV element and avast won't detect it as kaspersky and disable providers to avoid conflict.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 02:02:18 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 03:49:56 PM »
Which module are you talking about?
The problem seems a conflict that David is trying to help you to solve... please, answer his questions.

lazarus000

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2007, 06:05:45 PM »
Which module are you talking about?
The problem seems a conflict that David is trying to help you to solve... please, answer his questions.
fine ..... you want to know exactly what's happening.

i use zone alarm security suite. It comes with a firewall/anti-virus/anti-spyware

BUT...........

Zone Alarm doesn't not play well with P2P programs ... so i need to turn the Zone Alarm off when i occasionally use my P2P program.

i was hoping to be able to turn Avast on during that time ..... but apparently that's not possible.

when i boot up Avast says "you already have an AV program running so the Avast anti-virus will be turned off"

since i guess you can't turn Avast on without rebooting and since rebooting sort of defeats the purpose .... i guess i'll just have to find another anti-virus solution.

Thanks for your time

btw - i will say one thing though ... i've only been to this forum twice. Even in that short of time i've found that questions about Avast are met with a certain amount of hostility. Instead actually answering the question .... people tend to doubt the questioner.

"how can you manually turn avast on?"

"why would you want to do that"

"avast in great, you should never want to turn it off"

"if you are using something else, it's a mistake ... Avast should be left on at all time"

"Avast isn't catching this virus, what should i do?"

"what did you do wrong?"

"Avast is the best, you must of screwed up"

"Avast is list as the best ...... it never makes mistakes ........ it must be user error"

i mean wow

maybe you should take the word "support" out of the forum title.

good day

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2007, 08:31:54 PM »
i use zone alarm security suite. It comes with a firewall/anti-virus/anti-spyware
Zone Alarm doesn't not play well with P2P programs ... so i need to turn the Zone Alarm off when i occasionally use my P2P program.
ZA antivirus doesn't play well with any other antivirus due to conflict reasons. So...

i was hoping to be able to turn Avast on during that time ..... but apparently that's not possible.
No. The P2P protection is not enabled by another service besides the the ashServ.exe, the main avast service, and this will conflict with ZA antivirus.
So, no solution.
My suggestion... give up on ZA. You can find better firewalls for free and better antivirus/antispyware for free...

i guess i'll just have to find another anti-virus solution.[/quot]
Thanks to avast to alert you about the conflict. You'll have with any other antivirus IF you're using ZA antivirus/antispyware...