Author Topic: Why is avast! asking for a Reboot Daily ?  (Read 54866 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Why is avast! asking for a Reboot Daily ?
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2007, 11:32:12 PM »
In XP, if you press F8 when starting Windows and select 'Last known good configuration' from the boot menu, will this 'reboot loop' disappear?
The best things in life are free.

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Perseverance Furthers...
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2007, 02:47:51 AM »
Hi all

Had the same problem yesterday. I ran Advanced WindowsCare V2 Personal and ccleaner this cured yhe problem

Buzzby

That's odd . I have used Advanced WindowsCare in the past and recently unInstalled it . Just before reading this I copied the installer to my Hard disk thinking it may show up some obscure setting which has been changed. I'm clutching at straws . Since applying the registry changes listed earlier I've had connectivity problems  ??? So restored my original settings from a registry backup I made before tinkering ...
In XP, if you press F8 when starting Windows and select 'Last known good configuration' from the boot menu, will this 'reboot loop' disappear?
No Tech , it doesn't . I suppose it's some system setting which has conflicted with the Latest Avast! program update , doesn't seem to be only myself experiencing this problem though  ::)

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2007, 03:00:25 AM »
I'm just guessing ... since I cannot reproduce the problem (I've never installed the 8.3 tweak).

However, after reading the posts of Buzzby, I am wondering if two things might be needed.

1) the registry edit to remove the 8.3 tweak
2) cleanup of the Windows temporary files folder to clean up any rubbish left by avast in earlier efforts

I think a manual check of the Windows temporary folder and deletion any avast files (but not the folder containing Webshlock.txt) might be worth trying.

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2007, 03:22:27 PM »
I'm still experiencing the the " Avast! needs to restart  Computer " popup problem after Auto Update of Vps update to 000738-4 .

1. I deleted C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\reboot.txt

2. Applied the .reg file ; Enable8dot3Name.reg , checked that the value was 0 . It is , and still is .

Seems I have to endure the restart message ,  ???

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2007, 04:50:16 PM »
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\reboot.txt
I suggest you uninstall, boot, use the avast Uninstall tool, boot, install again.
I my mind something is telling that folder access rights have some to due with this...

2. Applied the .reg file ; Enable8dot3Name.reg , checked that the value was 0 . It is , and still is .
Re-Booted . Went online and updated vps . Avast! wanted to restart Comp. I said , No .
3. Found :
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager,"PendingFileRenameOperations".
Exported the "Key" as a .reg file , then deleted it from registry.
Re-Booted.
Indeed, you need to reboot when the system file option is changed.
NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation
REG_DWORD
•   Set the value to 0 to enable the creation of 8.3 file names.
•   Set the value to 1 to disable the creation of 8.3 file names.
You must restart the computer before this change takes effect.
More info: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/guide/sas_fsd_xdvz.mspx?mfr=true
I think these options do NOT apply to FAT32 as seems to be the Abraxas' system file.

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2007, 05:05:20 PM »
Tech:
I suggest you uninstall, boot, use the avast Uninstall tool, boot, install again.
I my mind something is telling that folder access rights have some to due with this...

Thanks for your advice Tech . Will follow the these instructions . Yes I'm using FAT32 file system , have two smallish Hard disks .

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2007, 01:53:50 AM »
Tech:

Performed a clean install as suggested , problem solved. After using Avast! for many years was probably a good move to freshen up the installation . Working perfectly , one happy camper here ...  ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2007, 02:48:52 AM »
Tech:

Performed a clean install as suggested , problem solved. After using Avast! for many years was probably a good move to freshen up the installation . Working perfectly , one happy camper here ...  ;D
Abraxas, you deserve the help here. You're always welcome 8)

TheWhiteknight

« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2007, 05:25:12 PM »
Yep I can confirmed have followed these instructions with new fresh install all is well . Thanks

gdiloren

« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2007, 12:55:56 AM »
 :)I erased the reboot.txt file and it worked 100%!!!
Thanks

water

« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2007, 09:52:19 PM »
I uninstalled, used the removal tool, and did a clean install but the problem remains for me. I'm running Vista business.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2007, 11:29:24 PM »
I uninstalled, used the removal tool, and did a clean install but the problem remains for me. I'm running Vista business.
Please, post the last 100-150 files of avast log: C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log\Setup.log

martosurf

« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2007, 06:27:35 AM »

This seems to have occured sinc the update to the latest version. Evety time avast updates,
it's asking to reboot.  (vps update)  ???

me too :P  every time I check for updates manually or avast! updates its virus database I have to reboot :'(

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2007, 01:57:22 PM »
every time I check for updates manually or avast! updates its virus database I have to reboot :'(
Did you try a clean installation of avast, from the scratch?

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2007, 10:31:59 PM »
martosurf,

one of the folks I support reported the same issue to me after the 4.7.1001 update.

Before trying a complete re-install I took a look at his system (remotely). 

Here's what worked for him:

1) checked and found he had the 8.3 registry tweak installed - set it to 0 (as advised by avast).
2) deleted the reboot.txt file from the folder C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup
3) used the Repair option of avast - it said it had repaired avast and requested a restart
4) restarted the system

Since then there have been no more requests by avast to restart after a manual VPS update check or an automatic VPS update.