Author Topic: Win32:Trojan-gen {other} probably false positive?  (Read 3985 times)

Gabriele 08

Win32:Trojan-gen {other} probably false positive?
« on: May 07, 2007, 05:02:26 AM »
Hi,
During a boot scan (Avast 4.7.896, VPS 00738-3), Avast notice for Win32:Trojan-gen {other} in
F:\....\....\....\Winrar\ls_wrar 3x.zip\ls_rar_v3.x_patch.exe

F: is not the partition of the OS but documents partition. There I have a folder and various subfolders containing all .zip and .exe files of the programs installed on my pc.
The .zip file in object is there just from 10 or more months, so I immediatly thinked for a false positive.
I pressed option 9 = ignore.
After scan I submited file to VirusTotal engine, where:
Avast version 4.7.997 = confirm virus;
eSafe = suspicious trojan/worm
webwasher-gateway = (suspicious) win32.modified UPX.gen!88
All others = nothing

Searching in forum about this, I discovered that Win:32Trojan-gen voice, is one of favourite for false positive. I think (hope) this is the case too, so the good thing to do now is to send file to Avast's team, is right?
The easier method?

Thanks in advance for your replies

DFXBB

Re: Win32:Trojan-gen {other} probably false positive?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 06:43:30 AM »
It is a crack of WinRAR?   :o

Why don't you use a freeware?

7-zip  http://www.7-zip.org/
TUGZip  http://www.tugzip.com/

ReWritable

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 09:19:19 AM »
You are false positive!  >:( >:( >:( Rob somebody and ask for help? Are u OK?

Gabriele 08

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 06:46:17 PM »
It is a crack of WinRAR?   :o
:( :( I never considered this, but...now searching with google I see that the file I posted is associate to crack!!
PC I'm using was given me more or less 10 months ago, (no new pc) there was only two pro programs: Winrar and Perfectdisk and person who gave me pc don't tell me NOTHING about they were crack!!

This is what happened, but sure I can't pretend that you believe me, so anyone may have his opinion of course!
In every case:
I Regrets very much for posting something about crack or not regular! This was not my intention!! I was in good faith, another question if I'm "dull"!
Sincerely I want to make my excuses to Avast's team! Please consider this if you want.

Sorry again!

@ dfxbb I use only freeware programs, this is not a problem. This is my philosophy, I don't use p2p.
@rewritable Consider reading what above if you want. I was in wrong, no discussion about this, but in everycase I want to say you that is always easy to accuse someone!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 08:05:48 PM »
I Regrets very much for posting something about crack or not regular! This was not my intention!! I was in good faith, another question if I'm "dull"! Sincerely I want to make my excuses to Avast's team! Please consider this if you want.
Sure. Don't worry.
Besides the other freewares posted here, I suggest IZArc (http://www.izarc.org/)
The best things in life are free.

ReWritable

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 01:32:59 PM »
To Gabriele 08 : Np it was just incredible that somebody surprised that some "trojan" can be in crack file  ;). But your situation not surprise me and trust you all.