Author Topic: Can i recover my avast update files??  (Read 1971 times)

vinayak1986

Can i recover my avast update files??
« on: May 13, 2007, 04:01:11 AM »
 i update avast regularly from the net and it shows some files being downloaded.. but i cant find the files in my PC when i search for it.. so if incase my harddisk is formatted,can i recover those files?? or i need to download the entire files again??plz reply

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: Can i recover my avast update files??
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 05:55:06 AM »
The only thing that you need to keep safely away is the the email with your license key if you purchase avast Professional.  Otherwise ... everything can be downloaded from scratch again without any problem - including a license key.

However, I would encourage every avast user - indeed every PC user - to create for themselves a recovery strategy that includes a regular backup of their system (at least once in while) so that you do not loose everything on your if your system hard drive should fail.  I'm not pushing my recovery product but (with Acronis True Image) my average weekly backup of my system drive is about 5 minutes - a relatively short time to ensure that I can recover my basic system and all the effort that has gone into setting it up.  A few months ago I experienced serious overheating of the primary drive delivered with my Dell PC.  Dell agreed to replace the drive and with an imaging solution available it was simply a case of opening the box, replacing the drive, and literally within 20 minutes I was up back and running, box closed, as if nothing had ever been amiss.   

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Can i recover my avast update files??
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 07:45:32 PM »
I suggest, if you need, that you backup your avast4.ini file and the skins you have downloaded.
Other files, better install fresh ones 8)
The best things in life are free.