Author Topic: Wondering why Avast accesses "everyone's internet, inc"  (Read 5085 times)

Kristi

Wondering why Avast accesses "everyone's internet, inc"
« on: February 19, 2004, 03:13:31 AM »
noobie to Avast.  Looks great so far!.  But definitely wondering what it is doing accessing 6 different sites owned by "Everyone's Internet, Inc", supposedly in order to update?

???  (I finally get to use that emoticon!

tia
Kristi
(XP Pro, etc etc)

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
Re:Wondering why Avast accesses "everyone's internet, inc"
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2004, 05:03:18 AM »
Hello, newbie ;). Do you mean those ones defined in servers.def ? They're just for avast's updating, avast uses the chosen one at random. I can't provide you more stats about updating; I heard some servers are more prefered/used than the rest, don't know if it was still right...  ???

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2004, 08:02:32 AM »
Hi Kristi,

what makes you think that the servers are owned by "Everyone's Internet, Inc"?

Most of our servers are operated by one of the world's biggest server-hosting company and are physically located in Houston, TX.

Of course, the reason that avast is periodically trying to contact these servers is the auto-update feature. If you're not comfortable with this, you can disable the auto-updater by accessing the Settings item in the menu in main avast application.

Hope this helps,
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

kubecj

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2004, 06:30:43 PM »
Just a minor nitpicking:

1) Avast does contact 7 different servers now. It needs them for internet updates.

2) 5 of these are hosted by an American company and located in Houston, TX.

3) The company was called Rackshack in the past, now they're called EV1.net, what means Everyone's Internet. See www.ev1.net for more details.

4) The IPs are of course their, so if somebody does reverse lookup and checks whois, it's them who are reported.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2004, 06:33:13 PM by kubecj »

Pavel Baudis

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2004, 06:50:01 PM »
1) Avast does contact 7 different servers now. It needs them for internet updates.
Also, the list of our servers is on our website (FAQ section) - look here for details...

Pavel

Kristi

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2004, 08:39:10 PM »
[quote author=Vlk link=board=2;threadid=2823;start=0#msg19926 what makes you think that the servers are owned by "Everyone's Internet, Inc"?

Most of our servers are operated by one of the world's biggest server-hosting company and are physically located in Houston, TX.

Vlk

Thanks Vlk!  yep, that's cool - no prob.  The way I found out is that my firewall (Kerio) notified me for each of them.  I did a whois and that said "Everyone's...". So I thought I'd ask!  Thanks for the answer.  I have opened the access for Avast! to everything to port 80.

This thing truly rocks!!!  I did a standalone check right after install and it found about 8 viruses and several swenworms (none had been executed so the system was okay, but it was nice to have them flagged and removed).  I was running Eset's Nod32 and am licensed for it, but am now using Avast.

thanks again!
Kristi