Author Topic: Pre-install questions  (Read 2347 times)

rvtraveler

Pre-install questions
« on: May 24, 2007, 04:54:54 PM »
Hi y'all,

I'm switching from NAV to Avast and have looked over the FAQ's, etc., but I have a couple other questions.

First, it says for profit computers are not eligible for free home version.  I don't consider my websites for profit (mainly travel blogs) but I do have Google ads on them.  Does this make me ineligible or not?

Second, it says to uninstall NAV before installing Avast.  But instructions say it takes 24 hours to get key from Avast to register product.  Do I uninstall NAV before I even start downloading Avast, or wait until I get key so I'm protected in the meantime or what?

As you can tell, I'm no computer guru, and would appreciate any guidance in this regard.  I've had a few problems with my computer lately and have heard it may be NAV related so I'm anxious to get rid of it but don't want to be unprotected in the meantime.  I'm online pretty much all the time.

Thanks!
Malia

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Pre-install questions
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 05:48:34 PM »
If your use is for Home, Non-commercial purposes then you would qualify for the free home and I think the explanation on this page covers the bases, http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html, see image.

So if your blog is a hobby, pastime, etc. and not a commercial enterprise you should be OK. If it is commercial, non-profit or otherwise you would need the Pro version. You could confirm your status with sales @ avast.com without the spaces.

You could download and use the Pro trial version for 60 days unrestricted access in the mean time, so no worries about 24 hours to receive a key (usually much quicker). When you know your status if you are eligible for the home version, complete the avast! 4 Home Registration form and you will receive an email from register @ avast.com (without the spaces) with your registration key. Enter your registration key whilst on-line and the version will be converted to the home version.

Insert Registration Key - Video

Some might suggest it would be better to download the Home version, uninstall the Pro trial, reboot, install the Home version and enter your registration key.

If you don't qualify for the Home version you would have to purchase a Pro license and enter that key into the Pro trial version.

NAV can also be a bit of a pig to remove completely.
A link worth looking at, which is a program removal tool that can remove the remnants of a number of different Norton Programs:
Removing your Norton program using SymNRT
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 05:55:02 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security