Author Topic: Automatic Update not working  (Read 12285 times)

sjd

Re: Automatic Update not working
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2007, 04:41:58 PM »
OK, so I:

1. uninstalled via the Control Panel
2. restarted
3. ran the Avast Uninstaller
4. restarted
5. then downloaded and installed Avast via the CNet link on Avast.com

On restart, I once again received the update error box, and an outdated VPS file warning.

ABOUT shows:
Build: 4.7.942
VPS date: 1/15/2007

I am attaching both my setup.log and warning.log

Steve

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2007, 05:09:42 PM »
ABOUT shows:
Build: 4.7.942
VPS date: 1/15/2007
But, look, you should install the 4.7.1001 version and not an old one...
The best things in life are free.

sjd

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2007, 05:29:11 PM »
OK, I'll try to do a manual update to get the latest. I can't help it that the Avast.com site leads me to an outdated download site. ;)

Steve

sjd

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2007, 05:50:17 PM »
This is getting frustrating. I can't even do a manual update now.

Steve

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2007, 07:31:35 PM »
OK, I'll try to do a manual update to get the latest.
No Steve, install the new one from the scratch, following the steps I've posted before.
Install the new version in a *new* (not existing before) folder.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2007, 04:19:43 AM »
Sorry, to ask again Steve ...

You showed us the setup log for when you installed the updated to avast ... after that you got an update error and for that you showed us only the warning log. 

I do not think we have any interest in the setup log for the installation of 4.7.1001 (unless it has a problem).

If you get another automatic VPS failure and error popup then please show us the end of the setup log after that problem occurs.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2007, 04:29:41 AM »
Tech,

I compared the avast repair log posted by Steve with an avast repair log in my system.  The lines that caused you to suspect access problems to the avast program files appear exactly the same in my repair log.  I think they are just part of the repair efforts by avast and do not indicate any problem in Steve's system. 

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2007, 04:58:14 AM »
Tech,

I compared the avast repair log posted by Steve with an avast repair log in my system.  The lines that caused you to suspect access problems to the avast program files appear exactly the same in my repair log.  I think they are just part of the repair efforts by avast and do not indicate any problem in Steve's system.
Thanks.
Again we have lack of Alwil support: update and reboot problems with 4.7.1001 :'(

sjd

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2007, 02:34:32 PM »
Here's where I'm at now.

When I couldn't even do a manual update, I did some further checking and found out that my Windows Defender had not successfully updated for some time again. Back when I had that happen before, Microsoft had suggested that I go into MSCONFIG, disable all NON-Microsoft services, and disable all startup items. Then I was able to successfully update Windows Defender. I then went back and enabled everything that I had disabled.

I decided to try this again, only this time I ONLY disabled all the NON-Microsoft services and left the startup items alone. Once more, was able to update my Windows Defender. While I was at it, I tried doing a manual update on Avast, but nothing seemed to happen. I went back to MSCONFIG and enabled the Avast items I found and was then able to do a manual update of both the iAVS and program.

This morning when I turned on the computer, I had my fingers crossed. I was amazed/surprised when the box popped up a a voice told me that my "virus database has been updated"!!

That leaves me with 5 services still disabled, with one of those possibly causing all the problems?? The services still in question are:

1. Ati External Event Utility
2. Google Updater Service
3. iolo DMV Service
4. Symantec Core LC - I did have this one disabled before and had the problems, so it's probably not this one.
5. XAudioService

Unless anyone has some ideas, I will slowly enable these services one by one and see when the problems recur. Then I'll have to try to figure out if there are updates available for the offending files.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan?? Thanks for your help so far.

Steve

sjd

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2007, 07:14:53 PM »
It's appearing that "iolo DMV Service" is the culprit. I enabled the other four services and the Avast updates went smoothly. Once I enabled the "iolo DMV Service" the update problems returned, and when I disable it, the problems go away. I'm just wondering if that is the cause of my problems with Windows Defender and McAfee. Time will tell. Thanks all.

Steve

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2007, 12:59:14 AM »
I did a search for "iolo DMV Service" and most of the hits that came referred to it being a cause of problems.  I do not think that we have heard of that product being related to avast automatic update problems before.  Something for us to keep in mind.