Author Topic: Log and Report Functions  (Read 4237 times)

Offline chameleon

Log and Report Functions
« on: February 19, 2004, 12:38:01 PM »
 ::)

Greetings All. I am very new to avast!, I have only had it on a few days, but already it has detected two viruses, via e-mail.

My first question is: does the log viewer require any special activation?

And two: I created a report file, ticking for all the functions to be reported, except ok files.

To my great surprise, the list of  "files skipped because of scanner setting" s is enormous! I havn't sat and counted, but it seems to be so large that I wonder if avast! scanned anything successfully! (The list really is that big.)

Finally: The report log also says that access to the master boot record was denied.

I very much like avast! but I am starting to wonder if it is working, on the whole.

I have Windows XP. And, I have not changed the settings in any major way. Just put the senstivity to high, and that is about it.

Can anyone shed any light?

Thank you in advance.

Chameleon.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:Log and Report Functions
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2004, 01:07:10 PM »
To my great surprise, the list of  "files skipped because of scanner setting" s is enormous! I havn't sat and counted, but it seems to be so large that I wonder if avast! scanned anything successfully! (The list really is that big.)

That's because you weren't scanning in the thorough mode. That means that files that have been determined to be impossible attacks for viruses are skipped (speeding the scanning process up).

Skipped by setting as so-called soft error - so disabling reporting of soft errors will safe you from seeing these in the log.

Finally: The report log also says that access to the master boot record was denied.

Master boot record of which disk? Does the date/time of the entry correspond with a scan?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2004, 06:34:57 PM »

Skipped by setting as so-called soft error - so disabling reporting of soft errors will safe you from seeing these in the log.

Thanks
Vlk

Don't forget there's also a specific report tick-option for "skipped files".  I leave that un-ticked but leave the "soft-error" one ticked, and that seems to eliminate the long list plus (hopefully) it'll report anything I should know about.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline chameleon

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2004, 03:12:26 PM »
>That's because you weren't scanning in the thorough mode. That means that files that have been determined to be impossible attacks for viruses are skipped (speeding the scanning process up).

I am fairly sure I was scanning in thorough mode, but I am running it again to make sure.

>Master boot record of which disk? Does the date/time of the entry correspond with a scan?

This is the message I got re: the scan and boot record.

Task 'Simple user interface' used
* Started on Thursday, February 19, 2004 6:25:47 PM

Disk 0 Master Boot Record [E] Access is denied (5)
Disk C: Boot Record [E] Access is denied (5)
Infected files: 0
Total files: 105
Total folders: 21
Total size: 44.7 M

Thanks for your help.
 Chameleon.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2004, 03:50:54 PM »

To read these things, avast needs to be running under an administrative account. Is this the case?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline chameleon

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2004, 04:26:18 PM »
Quote from: Vlk [quote

To read these things, avast needs to be running under an administrative account. Is this the case?

Yes, I have run it under both admin and regular account, and still the same problem. :'(