Author Topic: Symantec and Avast  (Read 4015 times)

Alex123

Symantec and Avast
« on: May 11, 2007, 05:21:06 AM »
Apologies in advance - this must have been discussed somewhere but I haven't found it.   The closest I've seen was a thread from 2005 that asked the same question.

I am trying out Avast.    I have Symantec 10.1.5 Corporate Edition.   Naturally, I have disabled the resident "auto protect" from Symantec.   Though it is not running (service not running) when I reboot Avast says it has detected another AV and is disabling its own resident AV protection.  But here is the deal, as far as I can tell, the Avast resident protection IS running despite the warning.

Any way to ensure this?

In short, I dont' want to uninstall Symantec at this point, there should be a way to disable it so Avast doesn't throw the error.   And is there any issue with Avast resident protection showing to be running but actually not because I can't rectify the error on startup with the activity of the program.

Thanks

Offline Snagglegrain

Re: Symantec and Avast
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 06:11:47 AM »
I am trying out Avast.    I have Symantec 10.1.5 Corporate Edition. ... In short, I dont' want to uninstall Symantec at this point, there should be a way...
What you are trying to do is not going to work.  Symantec goes too deep into your system for you to even consider running another AV as resident.

Why not do what I just did.... I imaged the drive, then uninstalled Norton AntiVirus.  I had to go about it the proper way.  As you must know, Symantec has a removal tool you can run after uninstall, and even after that, running registry cleaners multiple times is a good idea.

But once you have Norton gone for good, and you have your entire OS backed up as a safety net in case you don't like the new AV, then you are free to try avast! the way it should be tried, which is without conflict from a competing AV product.

I have avast! version 4.7 Home Edition now running as smooth as can be on one of my computers, and I have installed BitDefender v8 as an on-demand scanner, and I couldn't be happier.

But it was the confidence of knowing that I had that Acronis True Image back up ready for a fast restore in case something went wrong that was the key to success.

Good luck.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 06:12:51 AM »
Antivirus programs have had, over time, like the threats they attempt to counter to become more and more invasive into the operating system.  That means essentially that parts of them need to be loaded along with the operating system.  At this stage they are not designed to coexist - the other co-existing entity could be a threat.  The antivirus designers do not get together in some back room and cozy up to each other and find ways to coexist, why should they?  They are, after all, business rivals seeking to be our chosen product.

That means you, me and all the others users pretty much get to make the choice of which single antivirus program do I want embedded in my system now.  We do not get the choice of which pieces of various antivirus programs we want, any more than we get to choose which pieces of which operating systems we want running together in our system.   

Look at it this way, you cannot test drive two cars at the same instant.  You get into one, test it and then get out, you then get into the other and test it.  You then decide which one you want to drive everyday.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 06:17:24 AM »
Hi Alex123

From what you've said, I'd recommend trying out Avast! on another PC on which you have first removed all traces of other active-scanning AV programs.
Even if you can install glitch-free, there will be conflicts with having more than one low-level AV program installed on the same machine even if you disable the on-access scanning on one and if nothing else, you won't be able to properly evaluate Avast!

PS: Hi to the 2 faster typists above!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 06:20:11 AM by Vladimyr »
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline Snagglegrain

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 07:36:40 AM »
Even if you can install glitch-free, there will be conflicts with having more than one low-level AV program installed on the same machine even if you disable the on-access scanning on one and if nothing else, you won't be able to properly evaluate Avast!

BitDefender 8 Free Edition is an on-demand virus scanner.

Installing an on-demand, "scanner only" AV (which BitDefender 8 Free Edition is) does not involve "disabling the on-access scanning", simply because there is none to disable.

So I am having no problem properly evaluating avast! 4.7 Home Edition while using BitDefender 8 Free Edition as a scanner.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 08:10:24 AM »
Hi Snagglegrain
Thanks for your input but my comments were actually directed to the original post from Alex123. (I didn't see yours 'till after I posted mine.)
I too have BitDefender 8, and Clamwin, alongside Avast and as you rightly say, there's no conflict.
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 10:28:39 AM »
What on earth has all this muttering about BitDefender got to do with the question posed by the originator of this thread? 

If you want to talk about BitDefender ... why not start a thread to discuss it to your heart's content?

Alex123

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 02:20:17 PM »
Thanks for the input!   That helps me out a lot.   :)

Offline Snagglegrain

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2007, 03:16:24 PM »
What on earth has all this muttering about BitDefender got to do with the question posed by the originator of this thread?
On earth, as you say, the muttering about BitDefender pertained to the original question because there were concerns about more than one AV conflicting.  Providing specific information about non-conflicting software shows that more than one AV can work, and why.

If you want to talk about BitDefender ... why not start a thread to discuss it to your heart's content?
I'll look for the thread you start about test driving cars.  You were doing a bit of muttering yourself... "You get into one, test it and then get out, you then get into the other and test it".