Author Topic: Can't load web pages with Web Sheild on  (Read 3408 times)

vlawde

Can't load web pages with Web Sheild on
« on: May 12, 2007, 01:58:23 AM »
 I've used Avast for several years with no problems. I got a new comp (Dell XPS410 w/Vista) last week and installed Avast. Afterwards I couldn't bring up any web page, just a blank white screen....didn't matter whether it was Firefox or IE Then when I disabled web shield everything worked as usual. Odd thing is, when I WAS blocked from webpages, my Yahoo IM was still connecting to the internet.

Any ideas?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Can't load web pages with Web Sheild on
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 02:23:48 AM »
What firewall came with the new system ?
Does it allow ashWebSv.exe internet access ?
- If it does delete the entries for them and do a manual update and reconnect to the internet, this will force the firewall to ask permission again.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

vlawde

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2007, 02:33:46 AM »
I have no idea what that is. I did disable the windows firewall

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2007, 01:40:26 PM »
I did disable the windows firewall
Windows firewall shouldn't be blocking the avast WebShield to connect and scan the Internet traffic.
When you got the new computer, was there any antivirus installed in it? How did you uninstall it to install avast?
Can you try to install from the scratch?

1. Uninstall avast from Control Panel first.
2. Boot.
3. Use Avast Uninstall for complete uninstallation.
4. Boot.
5. Install again.
6. Boot.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2007, 02:24:47 PM »
Dell are in the habit of packaging lots of other trial software, often the likes of Symantec/Norton security products.

So what other security based software do you have that might have an impact, e.g. anti-virus or anti-spyware applications, etc. ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

CharleyO

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2007, 06:17:09 PM »

If you disabled the Windows firewall and have not installed another, then you have no firewall. Your new computer is a sitting duck. On a new computer, the Windows firewall should not be disabled until another better firewall is ready to be installed (off-line, of course).

If you have been on-line more than 10 minutes without a firewall, it is very likely that your new computer has some type(s) of malware infection.    :(

vlawde

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2007, 06:39:11 PM »
My firewall is in my router. On my other computers I run Norton, AVG, Avast for virus as well as Spyware blaster, Spybot and Adaware for spyware. Never had any problems. I set up this computer the same way, except no Norton, the wild card is it came with McAfee

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2007, 07:27:32 PM »
Having two resident scanners installed is not recommended as rather than provide twice the protection it can cause conflicts that could leave you more vulnerable.

McAfee has an uninstall tool that you could run to ensure any possible remnants are removed.
http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/VSCleanupTool.exe
2007 version - http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe