Author Topic: My web or chat program stops connecting to the internet !  (Read 4767 times)

charmy

My web or chat program stops connecting to the internet !
« on: November 14, 2005, 07:54:32 PM »
Hello! I have installed avast! 4.6 after installing my operating system (Windows XP Proffessional with SP2). If I run a game, or another application, after closing it, all of my web browsers stop connecting to the Internet - and I mean when I enter the browser, I can't visit any page at all, it's like my connection would be inexistent. The same, if I disconnect my instant messaging program, I run another application and then I try to reconnect, the IM program doesn't connect. I must log off Windows and then log on again, to use the web browser or the IM program, or I must give the computer a restart (both work the same). I wonder if this is because the antivirus' firewall or because the antivirus itself. I have never used avast! before therefore I think this might be the problem. Please, give me an advice or some indications because it's really nasty to log off and on before start using the web or chat after a while. Anticipated thanks and sallutations to the avast! team. Yours faithfully Charmy.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: My web or chat program stops connecting to the internet !
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 08:00:18 PM »
avast is only an antivirus (not a firewall).
Will it work if you disable the WebShield provider?
Which firewall do you use?
Do you have any proxy application (like Proxomitron or any other anonymizer application)?
Did you have, in the past, any other antivirus in this computer?
The best things in life are free.

charmy

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 08:07:13 PM »
My bad, please excuse me. When I said 'firewall' I was thinking about the 'shields' that avast! has.
It doesn't work if I disable the WebShield provider, I tried this many times. :(
I was using the Windows SP2 Firewall but I don't use it anymore. Even so, I have used it before re-installing Windows and it didn't make me any problems at all. I've forgotten to specify that I have done a 'clean' reinstalling, meaning that I have done the format for the partition I have installed Windows on ( C:\ ).
I don't have any proxy application because I don't need such things for now.
I had in the past other antiviruses but avast! is the first antivirus I have installed since I have reinstalled Windows.

Please help me :(

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 08:29:56 PM »
I was using the Windows SP2 Firewall but I don't use it anymore.
But it's there, it's working if you do not disable it...

Which browser are you using? I suppose Internet Explorer and that your Windows is updated...
It's strange, I can't imagine that it is avast! which is blocking your connection as when disabled, it does not work either  ::)

charmy

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2005, 08:40:57 PM »
The firewall it's disabled.
I'm using Avant Browser, but when this happens, it happens in IE too. :(

Thank you anyway...

neal62

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2005, 09:32:51 PM »
Did your computer originally come with WinXP? Or, did you use an older version of windows before and upgrade to XP on the same computer?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2005, 09:58:55 PM »
David,

I have done the format for the partition I have installed Windows on ( C:\ ).

I think the problem is not related to OS update...
Anyway, it's difficult to imagine a solution...  ::)

Rattrap

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2007, 07:52:32 AM »
I appear to have a similar problem. To my best tinkering, avast seems to be...not cutting off my internet access, but bogging it down to unusability. I've been independently turning on each avast service one by one to determine the cause, and it appears to be the "avast! AVS4 Control Service". Deactivating that consistently returns my access to its normal speedyness, and doesn't appear to interfere with any of the other services working.

Does this sound reasonable? Is there any problem with simply leaving that one particular service off? It is assuredly the problem - I've done everything from ping tests to using other computers on the network while the one running avast was having troubles to rule out other causes.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2007, 12:43:20 PM »
It sounds rather strange. As far as I know, this service does only very little - initiates automatic updates when needed. Are you sure everything is OK if you switch it to "manual" or "disabled"?

Rattrap

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2007, 06:02:56 PM »
It's strange. I can't say for sure, no; my internet works every time I have avast disabled (now I'm not even convinced it's the above-mentioned specific service, as I've that off and it seems to bog down from time to time). The thing is, having avast on doesn't consistently make the internet unusable. Just sometimes.

What I do know:
  • The problem isn't caused by anything external (router, ISP, ethernet cord etc.)
  • The cause doesn't cut off the internet entirely - just to the point that nothing really will load
  • The internet problem isn't consistent when avast is turned on
  • The problem seems fairly random after turning the system on (or restarting; logging on and off has yet to change anything)
  • The internet problem is consistently not a problem when avast is turned off

I run a pretty clean computer as far as cookies/Java/spyware/viruses are concerned, though I suppose that doesn't entirely rule out those things.

Rattrap

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2007, 09:17:33 PM »
Well, nevermind. After more experimenting, it seems my problem does stick around sometimes even with avast (or virtually everything nonessential to using the internet) off.

So I guess I haven't the foggiest idea what it is. Thanks all the same, though.