Author Topic: Blocker function. What other file types can I add besides default set?  (Read 1921 times)

Solomon

Was wondering besides the normal file types that are blocked using the standard default set, what other file type extensions can I add to the blocker function?  Is there a limit?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Personally I would leave this alone as it doesn't really have any effect unless you also tick the operations that should be blocked for those files.

By default the Blocked Operations: are unchecked so none are blocked, you would be surprised how much this could get in the way of your normal use of your system.

Basically the only files that are in the default set are executable ones, that feasibly be able to carry out one or more of the blocked operations. So there would be little point adding non-executable files to the list.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Appart from the fact that the Behavior Blocker is an old feature and it's usefullness is very limited in today's Windows environment. It is a blocker of suspicious behavior (thus preventing an unknown virus to spread).

Almost all the actions on your computer are performed by .exe files. If you prevent .exe files from executing their actions (such as opening a file for writing), you block almost everything - Word won't be able to write the .doc file, e-mail client won't be able to save the downloaded e-mail, programs won't be able to store their settings. The operation "opening a file for writing, performed by an .exe file" is very common and there's nothing suspicious about it. On the other hand, the operation "opening an .exe file for writing" is much less common and more suspicious (actually, I think it's even more suspicious when it's performed by a file with .xyz extension - that cannot even be started in an ordinary way - than by an .exe file). It will prevent files (like BAT,VBS,WSH,SCR,EXE...) to execute their actions.
The best things in life are free.