Author Topic: How do I shutdown Avast?  (Read 15705 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: How do I shutdown Avast?
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2007, 07:38:48 PM »
when I click the quote button, all the quotes appear. How do I select just one quote, or part of one quote?
Manually, adding the beginning and the end of the quote... Are you using quick reply (at the bottom of the page) or another page is loaded when you quote someone?

Why do you not recomend Xsoft. I know its your opinion and you won't be badmouthing xsoft. I have noticed, in the last two moths or so, that it has not been picking up too much, but once in a while it will catch something. That could be because I use FF that is supposed to block out the effects of adware.
The anti-spyware "Xoftspy" is, after all, a "hoax", a rogue program that installs spywares and remove them, making the user think it's good and efficient. It was detected as being spyware by Ad-Aware and by avast in the past.
http://www.adwarereport.com/mt/archives/followup_xoftspy_rogue_or_reputable.php
http://spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm#xos_note

Any idea on the initial (post cleanup) sloooooow (about 4 min.)?
If you disable Windows Updates (Control Panel > Automatic Updates) and boot, will it help?
The best things in life are free.

diligentinquirer

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2007, 01:47:19 PM »
Your answer/question: “Manually, adding the beginning and the end of the quote... Are you using quick reply (at the bottom of the page) or another page is loaded when you quote someone?”
I’ll try the “manually, and see what happens, Thx. I just use “reply” button located at the bottom of the page of the last post to which I am replying. I dunno what you mean by another page is loaded. I just click quote on the last post and get the whole quote.

You state: The anti-spyware "Xoftspy" is, after all, a "hoax"….  That is possible, though it did work on a lot of adware before the (about) last two months. I’ll test Xsoft.

You state “If you disable Windows Updates (Control Panel > Automatic Updates) and boot, will it help? I have no such “(Control Panel > Automatic Updates)”. Have an old win98 gold. Think I have to manually set that up. Good try though! After cleanup, and defrag, once it makes a conntection and downloads web page info in the cache, then it starts to "get in gear" and seems to work OK on that and other web sites. But sometimes, it just doesn't "get into gear" and draaaaaags. So I do another cleanup/defrag and maybe then it gets "in gear". There is something internally, I think, that causes this. Just don't know what it is. But if I let the running progs run, it draassgs even more, to the point that it takes a very long time to connect and load---if it ever does.

Thanks, Diligent

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2007, 01:55:19 PM »
I dunno what you mean by another page is loaded. I just click quote on the last post and get the whole quote.
Divide the full quote into pieces adding manually the end of the quote... copy the first statement of the quote, paste and start another... You can see this if you quote a post with 'divided quotes' you'll 'see' the structure in the screen, quote, for instance, this post and you'll see how to divide a quote into parts.

You state: The anti-spyware "Xoftspy" is, after all, a "hoax"….  That is possible, though it did work on a lot of adware before the (about) last two months. I’ll test Xsoft.
Please, post the results 8)

diligentinquirer

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2007, 03:03:06 AM »
I should be able to try the quote system after study. Still a bit confused. I''l try.

I will do the Xsoft test. Think I'll be, hopefully, simple. Maybe not. Won't reveal my method for obvious public display (readable?) reasons, but will email the same to you if you wish at at any email you wish. Thanks for your help, Diligent.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2007, 03:23:23 AM »
But will email the same to you if you wish at at any email you wish. Thanks for your help, Diligent.
I'd rather if you use the forum instead of email me 8)
This way other users could know the results.

diligentinquirer

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2007, 04:02:52 AM »
I agree that the forum should be fully informed. But I do not know who all the forum consists of (maybe Xsoft interested persons), so, I will continue to not reveal the "METHOD" I use in on this forum, FOR NOW. The results will be fully revealed, to wit: NOW (one sole instance):

The results of this ONE test, is that Xsoft currently does still detect ONE (emphasis added) low risk adware tracker namely: tribalfusion.com.

This is ONE test only, though. We'll see more after more time.

diligentinquirer

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2007, 02:02:01 PM »
test results for Sunday:

Xsoft did NOT detect the tribalfusion tracking adware this time. But oddly, neither did spybot. Adware-Se did pick it up. This is a more common adware, so why spybot did not pick it up leaves this detection in somewhat of a questionable state, unless spybot just does not detect this particular adware. But we do know that Xsoft did detect it one day, then the next day did not, so this gives some credibility to the hoax proposition presented above.

Diligent.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2007, 03:36:57 PM »
so this gives some credibility to the hoax proposition presented above.
Thanks for your tests.
Although, missdetection could be related to a signature problem and not, always, with a 'spyware' compromise with the spyware maker...

diligentinquirer

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2007, 04:04:37 AM »
Yes, I am a bit suspicious too. But, I can say that with more tests it seems that Xsoft simply does not work, or works very little, with regard to Firefox, thus explaining that perception of mine. It does work, in its limited--fast--way with IE malware. It certainly is not a complete malware detection program though!

Sure, probably no program is wholly complete, but I do think that Xsoft is structured to pick out certain malware--just for profit.

In any case, I agree that there is some credibility problem. Although sale "puffing" is legal (I'm a legal research analyst), this Xoft statement is untrue:

"Xoftspyse v.4.31 is the latest and most advanced spyware detection and removal application on the internet."

This cannot be true, in itself, being it detects no FF collected malware, and certainly does not detect all the malware that (e.g.) Spybot does.

In its truly limited role, it is fast for more common malware, and does pick up some extra malwre once in a while, but just (mostly) when one is using IE.

So to all you potential users out there, please be aware that Xoft is NOT a complete solution, but is handy for many common malwares, and IS FAST.

Thanks for your alert, tech!

Appreciated, Diligent.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2007, 05:41:18 PM »
Yes, I am a bit suspicious too. But, I can say that with more tests it seems that Xsoft simply does not work, or works very little, with regard to Firefox, thus explaining that perception of mine. It does work, in its limited--fast--way with IE malware. It certainly is not a complete malware detection program though!
A lot of users think the same about Xsoft. There are a lot of other good programs to use.