Author Topic: Why Avast Update has started to require Windows restart so frequently?  (Read 3976 times)

emusic

Hello!

I use Avast Update during several years and it required Windows restart relatively rare (monthly or even more rare). But about a month ago, Update began to request Windows restart 2-3 times per week.

Avast never found viruses on my computer. In the setup.log file, it said a reboot is needed because a resident module, aavmker4.sys, was changed. But I don't use resident protection, it is turned off.

Regards,
Eugene

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Program updates require a reboot for the changes to come into effect, there have been a number of minor program updates recently, but certainly not 2-3 times per week.

There have only been 4 program updates since 15 Jan 2007, http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-4-home_pro-revision-history.html.

So I thing that your 2-3 per week is an exaggeration or there is something wrong with your installation. If however, it were something wrong with the installation and it kept requesting reboot it is likely it would be more than 2-3 times per week.

What version are you using, the latest is 4.7.1001 ?
Operating system restart needed by avast message - First check the contents of the C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\setup.log file, which should show you why it thinks the reboot is needed.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Frankly, it was not our intention to have so many updates during the last 3 weeks (since 4.7.942). However, some problems have been identified that deserved a program update - so here they were. Hopefully, 4.7.1001 is going to last for some time.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

javatyger

:-[ I am also having that same problem with Avast! constantly asking for a restart.  This started probably about 2 weeks ago, and every day, it asks for a restart.  I'm using Version 4.7.1001 and VPS File Version 000740-0. I would appreciate any help.  I did try to uninstall it, reinstall it and I got the same issue, including during the initial installation saying that the computer required a restart.  There is definitely something wrong here.  :'(

Offline ToM ™

• Avast team

sylvia_s

In our case (two computers) there is no 'requiring'  .... the system restarts itself without any announcement. We thought we had a problem with the electricity supply until we discovered that Avast is the cause. Also: the system does not finish the restart before it restarts again and again ... Please fix this bug! Thanks!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
If there is as you say 'no requiring' then it isn't the same problem as avast doesn't force a boot but give the option. So there is something else going on with your system.

It may well be better to create a new topic for this as it isn't exactly the same problem.

In it can you answer the following questions:
What Operating System are you using ?
Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
The system restarts itself without any announcement.
You can configure this into avast update settings.
But, if what is happening is a crash, you need to disable Windows automatic restart after a crash to see the BSOD.
The best things in life are free.