Author Topic: boot scan problem  (Read 9277 times)

noob

Re: boot scan problem
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2007, 01:09:30 PM »
sadly no change..........
I am convinced Avast is not the problem, it is the monitors somehow. I loaded the same version of Avast on my laptop without this problem. I have searched the forum and have found reference to this sort of problem from others, and there has been reference to fixing some setting in the boot ini settings, but the posts are a bit over my head.
your efforts have been appreciated none the less!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2007, 02:39:07 PM »
I too doubt that avast is the problem as the scan is going on in the background, and it does seem display related though I can't be sure. 

I have just run a boot-time scan to familiarise myself with it again. At first it looks like it is going to enter windows, I see the initial windows flag logo and then the avast boot-time scan starts whizzing through the folders and files. If and only if there is a detection then you should see the screen similar to my first image, otherwise you will see the same layout without the options and showing the scans progression through the drive.

Having said that by the fact that the windows logo first appears an then avast intercepts the normal boot and then you should see the avast boot-time scan screen. Are you even seeing this windows logo prior to the avast scan ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

noob

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2007, 04:20:16 PM »
Now i can't remember what I see?.... :-\
I will have to go thru the process again. I see the dell logo, then a request to enter my boot password (which i enabled for security)... then the windows logo and then my prompt for my user password.
Perhaps i should disable my boot password, and try???
stay tuned!
 :o ???

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2007, 04:55:56 PM »
The D(H)ell boot may be the fly in the ointment, it may work by disabling the boot password, but then again would it just automatically boot without the password or would you have to change the boot to auto. I don't know I have never owned a D(H)ell system.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

noob

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2007, 05:08:48 PM »
well that didn't work either!
I did pay attention as to what fires up before it goes dark...
goes thru Dell logo, then the windows splash screen where I log on, then out go the lights!
Starting to drive me bonkers just on principal!
ah well.... you have all given it more than enough attention, but we may be beaten!
I am convinced it is all going on happily behind a dark screen. The monitor that switches to "low power" is hiding the entire process from me, and despite much fiddling with the arrangement I have been defeated!
I will no doubt keep fiddling about.....
cheers ::)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2007, 05:11:31 PM »
The monitor that switches to "low power" is hiding the entire process from me
Can't you disable this power setting?
The best things in life are free.

noob

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2007, 05:14:16 PM »
I am not sure, but I will have a look.
I will fiddle with the various power settings....

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2007, 06:07:03 PM »
How old is your system ?
Is it worth talking to D(H)ell support to see if this power settings can be changed.

This is one of the reasons I have never liked D(H)ell systems the stuff they install and the customisations that are for the benefit of D(H)ell and not the end user. The decrapifier ilnk previously does a reasonable job but if you ever have to restore your system (from the recovery partition), you end up with it as it left the factory, to my mind as bad as any problem that required it.

noob

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2007, 06:28:01 PM »
system is pretty elderly... but i have stuck many new bits in over the years. Dell won't talk to me anyway, it has long since expired for any service.
It is some power setting somewhere... the dual monitors run off a dual head video card I put in when i decided I wanted two monitors.... I expect it is fixable situation, i just need to find the solution hiding somewhere!
I found a power setting in the "setup" menu which i changed. When I get back from work I will have another go.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2007, 06:47:38 PM »
I ended up with a 20" TFT instead of the dual monitor scenario.

If you right click on an empty part of the screen select Properties, Screen Saver tab, Monitor Power, Power button. Here you can set the monitor power settings. I don't know if this will be the same on your system.

Good Luck

noob

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2007, 12:52:15 AM »
well I quit!
I have found and altered all power settings for the monitors, to no avail. for some reason the Monitor that avast boot scan chooses to run on puts itself in a "low power"state. I thank you all for your efforts to help.
If i ever find a fix I will certainly post.
cheers

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2007, 01:31:13 AM »
Your welcome, we hate mysteries too.

I think all you can do as a work around if you have to schedule one is to set the Advanced options to in the boot-time settings to 'Move infected file to Chest' but 'Ignore delete or Move for system files' and check the aswboot.txt file for any actions taken and ignored files, etc.