Author Topic: Acer Laptop  (Read 12813 times)

Offline SUSZANNAH

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • There We Are Then
Acer Laptop
« on: May 16, 2007, 02:34:31 AM »
Hi has anyone an Acer laptop? there are so many things Acer have put on at startup and have no idea what they are for so need to get rid of some if no use:

1 is a catalyst thingy...whatever that is?

Have realtek studio .......don't know how to stop it, dont even use it

the empowering thingy no idea what to do with that, just want it to run like my desktop

sorry if i sound dull on this........     :)

CharleyO

Re: Acer Laptop
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 03:56:51 AM »

I can't help you much but if this Acer Laptop has ATI graphics card/video, then Catalyst is most likely the UI/drivers for the card.

Offline SUSZANNAH

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • There We Are Then
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 04:30:07 AM »
ahh yes it has , is it safe to stop from startup?
It just sits in notification area and glares at me     :)

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 04:59:38 AM »
Catalyst is the graphics card drivers. i would not remove them unless you are sure windows has a driver built in for your card
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

CharleyO

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 05:05:52 AM »

If you stop it at start-up, your graphics may not work correctly. I have a friend that has an ATI card and will ask about hiding the icon.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 05:13:45 AM »
Once you know the name of the startup, Pacs Portal http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm has a link to a comprehensive guide http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php
e.g. Ati2cwxx.exe
For some ATI video cards. Probably used to access features and may not be required - for example the ATI Radeon works fine without it
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 05:22:23 AM by Vladimyr »
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

timcan

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 11:25:17 AM »
ahh yes it has , is it safe to stop from startup?
It just sits in notification area and glares at me     :)

Hi, have you tried to hide this icon in the taskbar properties settings? There is an option to 'never show'.Hope this helps.

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2007, 11:54:01 AM »
This page may be useful:

http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/

What it removes:

http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/removes

You might actually want to keep some of this crap pre-installed trial software, so look at each item found and consider if you really want to keep it- deselect any you decide to keep and let the program remove the rest.
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

CharleyO

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2007, 05:51:36 AM »

In regards to the ATI card Catalyst program, I guess you're referring to the icon in the task bar? You can get rid of the icon by opening up the Catalyst Control Center and going to the Preferences tab at the top of it.  You just uncheck the Enable System Tray Menu. After that, when the icon's gone,  if you need to use the Control Center, you will have to access it by going into "programs" off the START button.

I hope this helps!    :)

Offline SUSZANNAH

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • There We Are Then
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2007, 11:10:10 PM »
Thanks everyone for all the info, just fired laptop up and went to 'msconfig' seems I have 27 items in startup.......

Don't even know where to start with them all   lol

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2007, 11:19:40 PM »
Google is a start point on the startup item name or the file name at the end of the location.

However 27 is extra ordinary, there are only 6 in mine.

There are many applications that on installation want to run on startup, unless it is a security or absolutely essential you should be able to uncheck some after investigation.

You could post a screen shot of some that you are unsure of, expand the columns to see the file name in the Command column, see image.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline SUSZANNAH

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • There We Are Then
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2007, 11:20:33 PM »
Have looked in Franks link at pcdecrapifier, nothing there that I have......  :(

I have things like:-

RTHDCPL
ALCMTR
AzMixerSel
ntiMUi   etc etc     :(

Offline SUSZANNAH

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • There We Are Then
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2007, 11:26:49 PM »
have screenshots but don't know how to get them in here??

Offline Snagglegrain

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2007, 11:29:02 PM »
Spybot has a nice tool that some may not even realize is there.

System Startup allows users to see what is starting, and offers pretty good detail on each by highlighting, then clicking on the vertical button between panels.

It also gives you the ability to disable unwanted items.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2007, 11:29:30 PM »
You could also do a HiJackThis log and copy the contents into one of the on-line analysis sites, these usually also report a legit application but is not essential to run at start-up.

On-line analysis - HiJackThis Log file - On-line Analysis OR HiJackThis Log file - On-line Analysis 2

One of the most common applications for this are sodding media players, etc. and you don't need them until you click on a media file and then they will open automatically.

RealTech/RealAudio is one of the worst in wanting to take over the world and your computer.

It is probably better to google the file name that I previously rather than the startup item name.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security