Author Topic: CCleaner Trojans  (Read 162714 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: CCleaner Trojans
« Reply #120 on: May 30, 2007, 03:32:33 AM »
It would probably be better to up load them together in a zip file, which will make it easier to download the collection.

I have just downloaded 1 and it is 2:32 a.m. here so I'm calling it a night. If you upload them together in a zip I can collect them later today and submit to avast.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

GrahamE

« Reply #121 on: May 30, 2007, 12:22:18 PM »
It would probably be better to up load them together in a zip file

Yeah, sorry, I should have done that. It's done now. Could you let me know when you've done it please, so I can change the password.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #122 on: May 30, 2007, 02:54:14 PM »
OK, done now, probably best if you remove the user name and password from the previous post, so it isn't hanging in the wind.

I will upload them shortly.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

GrahamE

« Reply #123 on: May 30, 2007, 03:03:23 PM »
OK, done now, probably best if you remove the user name and password from the previous post, so it isn't hanging in the wind.
I will upload them shortly.

I've done that. Thanks very much again for your trouble.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #124 on: May 30, 2007, 03:08:23 PM »
Your welcome, lets hope there is a quick correction.

Dangerman

« Reply #125 on: May 31, 2007, 03:27:36 PM »
I had the same problem with these trojans using the latest version of CCleaner.  I found that reverting back to an older version, CCleaner, 1.31, Avast no longer picked them up while cleaning.  You may want to try an older version and see if they are still picked up on your system.  False positives?

You can download older versions here.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #126 on: May 31, 2007, 08:22:26 PM »
False positives?
Indeed it seems so.
What is strange is that the old versions of CCleaner seems to have the same procedure, cleaning temporary files the same way, but do not affect avast ???
It's not a solution, going to old versions, but a workaround. I hope Alwil team could reproduce this in their lab... Maybe it will be good to ask CCleaner team to know if they have something to explain/correct.
The best things in life are free.

Dangerman

« Reply #127 on: May 31, 2007, 09:07:06 PM »
My problems with these trojans began when I installed CCleaner V1.39.502.  Below are the "Whats new" in that version.

v1.39.502 - [17th April 2007]
- Rewritten secure deletion code, now over 2x faster.
- Performance improvements deleting Internet Cache.
- Fixed bug in Recycle Bin cleaning.
- Fixed overflow error with a large number of temp files.
- Added AntiVir PE Classic and Premium cleaning.
- Removed PerfectDisk 8.0 cleaning.
- Optimized file size for language DLLs.
- Added Bosnian translation.
- Added Macedonian translation.
- Updated several translations.
- Minor bug fixes.

http://ccleaner.com/

Note - Added AntiVir PE Classic and Premium cleaning.

So, does CCleaner now run an Anti Virus built in when cleaning? If so, I suspect it conflicts with Avast running and throws up the false positives?

This is the Avira AntiVir website (I assume this is the AntiVir PE Classic mentioned).

http://www.free-av.com/

GrahamE

« Reply #128 on: May 31, 2007, 09:24:06 PM »
You may want to try an older version

The only problem I have with that is that 1.39.502 was fine until the end of April. Updating to 1.40.520 made no difference, Avast still detected stuff. The fact that 1.39.502 was ok for quite a while tends to suggest that the problem is with Avast detecting things that CCleaner is disturbing, rather than a problem with the newer versions of CCleaner. Possibly, the older versions weren't cleaning as deeply as the newer versions, I don't know.

It's not a solution, going to old versions, but a workaround.

Yeah, it's a bit like stopping using CCleaner, and using something else instead.

What is strange is that the old versions of CCleaner seems to have the same procedure, cleaning temporary files the same way, but do not affect avast ???

It's also strange that not everyone (you included) is experiencing this problem when using the latest CCleaner  ???

On a brighter note, I've had no alerts from Avast when using CCleaner since the one on 28th at 5.06pm which I detailed in an earlier post. Fingers crossed, I guess! Avast still sees Trojans in the stuff in the Chest though.

So, does CCleaner now run an Anti Virus built in when cleaning? If so, I suspect it conflicts with Avast running and throws up the false positives?

Unfortunately, this doesn't explain why it ran successfully for a while. Coming out on 17th April, I installed it on 21st (I'd already downloaded it before reformatting on 21st, which is how I'm pretty sure of the date), and so it therefore ran for a week before problems arose.

mauserme

« Reply #129 on: May 31, 2007, 09:34:05 PM »
It's also strange that not everyone (you included) is experiencing this problem when using the latest CCleaner  ???
That's confusing to me too, though not everyone has the same software, drivers, etc installed beyond the avast!/CCleaner combination.  Sometimes its the not-so-obvious things that cause the conflict.

On a brighter note, I've had no alerts from Avast when using CCleaner since the one on 28th at 5.06pm which I detailed in an earlier post.
Well that's a good sign ...

Avast still sees Trojans in the stuff in the Chest though.
though I don't get that at all.

Still, 3 days with no further alerts does indicate false positives.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #130 on: May 31, 2007, 09:41:42 PM »
Rewritten secure deletion code, now over 2x faster.
Performance improvements deleting Internet Cache.
Fixed overflow error with a large number of temp files.
Maybe something here...

Note - Added AntiVir PE Classic and Premium cleaning.
I don't think so... cleaning of their files I suppose (logs, temp files, etc.).
The best things in life are free.

Dangerman

« Reply #131 on: May 31, 2007, 11:13:41 PM »
You may want to try an older version

The only problem I have with that is that 1.39.502 was fine until the end of April. Updating to 1.40.520 made no difference, Avast still detected stuff. The fact that 1.39.502 was ok for quite a while tends to suggest that the problem is with Avast detecting things that CCleaner is disturbing, rather than a problem with the newer versions of CCleaner. Possibly, the older versions weren't cleaning as deeply as the newer versions, I don't know.

I did not update to 1.39.502 until the end of April so do not know what happened before then.  First trojan picked up on 28th, Win32:agent-GKD.  From then on they were not picked up everyday, until I did several scans on the 19th May, when 5 trojans were picked up.  Avast picked up nothing in the browser cache prior to each clean either.  Then I reverted back to the older version of CCleaner and nothing was picked up.

I've also used other cleaners and Avast picked up nothing when they were cleaning (perhaps they don't clean as deeply as CCleaner?). 

I've just re-installed CCleaner 1.40.520, ran it twice and all clear so far, so we will see what happens.

GrahamE

« Reply #132 on: June 01, 2007, 01:15:44 AM »
First trojan picked up on 28th

Ties in with my first find (and Gabriele08's) on the 27th.

Maybe it will be good to ask CCleaner team to know if they have something to explain/correct.

And Lavasoft. In reply #69 I posted details of Avast alerting during an Adaware scan. This has never happened again, but must surely prove that the problem doesn't originate from CCleaner.

Avast still sees Trojans in the stuff in the Chest though.
though I don't get that at all.

The whole thing is weird though. The other day, when I found that Tiscali were having problems, and DavidR kindly offered to upload some of my Chest contents to Avast, he said that I should add the files to the exclusion list before extracting them from the Chest, so that Avast wouldn't alert on them when I was preparing to upload them to Rapidshare.com (which obviously, makes complete sense).
I didn't do this, and yet Avast didn't alert. I extracted 8 files from the Chest to a folder, zipped the folder and uploaded it. No alerts at all. I then dragged the zip file to the recycle bin, still nothing. Only when I emptied the recycle bin did Avast alert. Surely DavidR was right, and Avast should have alerted as soon as I started 'playing' with the files, especially when I zipped them, and if not then, when I uploaded them? Could zipping them have masked them? Well, I'd already uploaded them individually, unzipped, before DavidR suggested zipping the whole lot together.
Why has Avast suddenly stopped alerting? I'm going to exactly the same sites, doing the same things, and yet it's suddenly stopped (I hope I'm not tempting fate here!). If it's an Avast update, why are the files in the Chest still being alerted on?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #133 on: June 01, 2007, 01:56:28 AM »
It may be that because some of the files were from the firefox cache, they are extensionless file types and depending on your standard shield sensitivity it may not scan those files. Though the web shield should have scanned them on initial download as it doesn't care about file type or extensions.

Though by CCleaner moving or opening them would cause avast to scan them, but it is certainly weird. They would be alerted on outside the chest if you used the ashQuick.exe scan as that is the most sensitive of scans.

GrahamE

« Reply #134 on: June 01, 2007, 02:14:31 AM »
It may be that because some of the files were from the firefox cache, they are extensionless file types and depending on your standard shield sensitivity it may not scan those files. Though the web shield should have scanned them on initial download as it doesn't care about file type or extensions.

Sorry, was that reply to my last post? If it was, sorry, I don't use Firefox. Standard Shield is set to 'High', incidentally.

but it is certainly weird.

Yep!  ;D