Author Topic: CCleaner Trojans  (Read 162726 times)

Dangerman

Re: CCleaner Trojans
« Reply #195 on: June 15, 2007, 10:25:07 AM »
Aah GrahamE, another thing I'm thinking is, that you and me we have habit to clean temp-cache-etc. daily. How many people do you know making the same?
Example: if I run CCleaner only one time a month (and I know people...) and avast give me a warning for trojans, I may see the situation from a different prospective, thinking that avast works good, and no more. So viewing situation like an absolutely normal situation. (Just an idea, an hypothesis, of course)

NTFS me too.

P.S. Tomorrow I have to go away from my city, for some days. So please, no bad news on my return  ;D
Greetings
And remember, if you are using the older version of CCleaner prior to around 28/04, Avast won't pick them up.  I reverted to an older version at one stage and everything came up clean after each scan.  I'm sure there are many users of CCleaner who probably haven't upgraded, or who may be using another anti-virus application as on access which wouldn't pick them up (as experience has shown that nothing else detects these trojans).

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #196 on: June 15, 2007, 01:45:21 PM »
And remember, if you are using the older version of CCleaner prior to around 28/04, Avast won't pick them up.  I reverted to an older version at one stage and everything came up clean after each scan.  I'm sure there are many users of CCleaner who probably haven't upgraded, or who may be using another anti-virus application as on access which wouldn't pick them up (as experience has shown that nothing else detects these trojans).
Another reason to correct the false positive detection.
The best things in life are free.

mauserme

« Reply #197 on: June 15, 2007, 02:00:23 PM »
GrahamE and Gabriel08 mentioned that they use the secure deletion option, but what about the others?  And if you turn this option off does the problem persist?

GrahamE

« Reply #198 on: June 15, 2007, 05:44:44 PM »
GrahamE and Gabriel08 mentioned that they use the secure deletion option, but what about the others?  And if you turn this option off does the problem persist?

Very difficult to tell, since there is no pattern to the alerts anyway. I haven't had anything for 2 days now, deleting in secure mode. If I turn it off, I may still not get alerts, but I won't know if that's because I've gone to single-overwrite, or whether there's been nothing to alert on (or, Avast have finally sorted this!  ;D), and I wouldn't have got alerts with 3-overwrite as well (if you see what I mean!). The only way I'd know is if I revert to single-write deletion and I get an alert.

Rick F

« Reply #199 on: June 15, 2007, 06:35:38 PM »
Quote from: Gabriele 08
Aah GrahamE, another thing I'm thinking is, that you and me we have habit to clean temp-cache-etc. daily. How many people do you know making the same?

I use CCleaner almost every day to clean out temp files, typed URLs, & cookies (don't trust reg cleaner), and I've not had this trouble with avast detecting any trojans.

BUT, I'm still on an older version of avast! (4.7.942). It's because of this thread and the one with 'reboot @ every update' that's kept me from updating the program.

Quote from: Dangerman
I'm sure there are many users of CCleaner who probably haven't upgraded,

Yep, that's me as well.  I haven't upgraded CCleaner either.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 06:37:16 PM by Rick F »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #200 on: June 15, 2007, 07:39:49 PM »
or, Avast have finally sorted this!  ;D
For this reason it will be good an official word... we're loosing time trying to help and not a word from them... I don't like these Alwil silences...

GrahamE

« Reply #201 on: June 15, 2007, 08:27:59 PM »
I'm still on an older version of avast! (4.7.942). It's because of this thread and the one with 'reboot @ every update' that's kept me from updating the program.

I suppose the only problem with that is that you could be leaving yourself open to whatever the update protects you from. Also, as Tech and Gabriele 08 pointed out, each PC is different, and there's no reason why you should suffer the same problems as others. While I hate to tempt fate, I have had no problems with having to reboot after updates after upgrading to 4.7.1001, yet I have suffered the problems with CCleaner, while others haven't.

For this reason it will be good an official word... we're loosing time trying to help and not a word from them... I don't like these Alwil silences...

But then to be fair, this thread's only been going for a month, and with only 200 posts, perhaps it hasn't been noticed yet... 8)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 08:35:19 PM by GrahamE »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #202 on: June 15, 2007, 09:13:09 PM »
But then to be fair, this thread's only been going for a month, and with only 200 posts, perhaps it hasn't been noticed yet... 8)
Maybe a grin would be better than a cool smile ;D

GrahamE

« Reply #203 on: June 15, 2007, 09:20:08 PM »
Maybe a grin would be better than a cool smile ;D

I was using the shades to hide the tears welling up in the eyes!  ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #204 on: June 15, 2007, 10:45:39 PM »
I was using the shades to hide the tears welling up in the eyes!  ;D
There is not a reason to be ashamed of the tears  :'( :'( :'(

philly12

« Reply #205 on: June 16, 2007, 12:47:39 AM »
I have been using the very latest versions of avast (fully updated every day) and the latest version of ccleaner.  I have a feeling that many people do not upgrade ccleaner very often because the update feature isnt that noticeable and there really isn't an autoupdate feature (that I notice).  Maybe this has something to do with the fact that not many people are complaining.

Dangerman

« Reply #206 on: June 16, 2007, 09:22:49 PM »
I use the secure deletion option, 3 passes. 

Nothing detected since 11th June, so it's looking good so far, but the HAI{Trj} still comes up as a virus when scanned in the chest.

Dangerman

« Reply #207 on: June 28, 2007, 10:18:56 AM »
Very strange.  16 days totally clean, nothing picked up having used CCleaner deleting Firefox cache many times and then last night Win32:Agent-HAI [Trj] turns up again.  Only had this one once before on 1st June when it was picked up with a "G" {Trj}. 

As others on this thread have also had Win32:Agent-HAI [Trj] turn up alongside the "G" series trojans, I'm still convinced that this is another false positive and Avast haven't got around to it yet, but really strange the time period lag of this being picked up.

Anyone else still having this problem?

GrahamE

« Reply #208 on: June 28, 2007, 11:19:11 PM »
Yeah, it's certainly strange that it's suddenly appeared after all this time. I've also been clean for 16 days. The HAI 'Trojans' in the Chest are still being alerted on.

In the absence of any response from 'the team' or updates to sort this out, I think I've stumbled across what I hope is a solution, for me at any rate. Both Tech and Gabriele 08 pointed out that every PC is unique, and what happens to one may well not happen to another with the same software installed. My solution (ok, I was going to buy one anyway!) arrived by courier today, in the shape of a swishy new(ish) PC!! It's lovely!  ;D ;D

If I come back to this thread because I've had alerts, there'll be tears!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #209 on: June 29, 2007, 02:51:16 PM »
Very strange.  16 days totally clean, nothing picked up having used CCleaner deleting Firefox cache many times and then last night Win32:Agent-HAI [Trj] turns up again.  Only had this one once before on 1st June when it was picked up with a "G" {Trj}.
Did you try to remove CCleaner completely, removing it's folder. Booting, installing CCleaner again (last version)?
If this does not work, can you uninstall Firefox and start the installation of it all over again?