Author Topic: CCleaner Trojans  (Read 162113 times)

GrahamE

Re: CCleaner Trojans
« Reply #210 on: June 29, 2007, 03:03:44 PM »
Did you try to remove CCleaner completely, removing it's folder. Booting, installing CCleaner again (last version)?
If this does not work, can you uninstall Firefox and start the installation of it all over again?

Sorry Tech, but how will this help with Avast false-positives? Surely we've all been waiting for Avast to update it's definitions to stop these 'alerts', haven't we??

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #211 on: June 29, 2007, 03:16:13 PM »
Sorry Tech, but how will this help with Avast false-positives?
I was absolutely sure you'll ask this question... Like playing Chess.
My mind is: if we have a 15 page issue not solved, non reproducible in all computers, avast isn't being corrected... I'm just guessing the problem could be into CCleaner/Firefox files. I know to uninstall Firefox is a pain (install all extensions again, etc.) but, after all, it's a test. I suggest an installation from the scratch in a non-previous existing folder.

Surely we've all been waiting for Avast to update it's definitions to stop these 'alerts', haven't we??
Sure... but why we're not seeing that... Maybe Alwil team is not working hard, maybe they can't manage this (as it is not reproducible...).
The best things in life are free.

GrahamE

« Reply #212 on: June 29, 2007, 05:03:06 PM »
I'm just guessing the problem could be into CCleaner/Firefox files. I know to uninstall Firefox is a pain (install all extensions again, etc.) but, after all, it's a test. I suggest an installation from the scratch in a non-previous existing folder.

Except my 'Trojans' weren't found in the Firefox files (I don't, and never have had Firefox).

Maybe Alwil team is not working hard, maybe they can't manage this (as it is not reproducible...).

They did manage to deal with the 'G' series of alerts though, and they certainly took their time doing that!! Maybe Alwil team is not working hard.......

Like playing Chess.

I was always better at draughts myself.  ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #213 on: June 29, 2007, 08:36:49 PM »
Maybe Alwil team is not working hard...
I don't even want to think about this... :'(

GrahamE

« Reply #214 on: June 29, 2007, 09:07:56 PM »
I don't even want to think about this... :'(

It's a little difficult to think anything else really. If only there was some sort of response from them, these doubts wouldn't arise. After this amount of time, this amount of pages and posts,.......

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #215 on: June 29, 2007, 09:54:33 PM »
If only there was some sort of response from them
I wont expect this in a 15 page thread... maybe we need to start a new one, with the problems that we have right now, forgot the past...

GrahamE

« Reply #216 on: June 29, 2007, 10:47:24 PM »
Trouble is, that while I'm continuing to post in this thread, I don't have the problem anymore. As detailed above, I inadvertently found a solution by buying a different PC. So unless it starts with this one as well, I'm now in the same boat as you - I'm using CCleaner with no problems (Tempting fate?  ;D).

Obviously you know far more about the inner workings of Alwil than I do (it wouldn't be difficult to know more than me, I must admit!  ;D), but if they've failed to take notice of a thread that's been going this long, what chance does a new thread have? This thread has been hovering near the top of the forum list for well over a month now, and yet there's been no input at all. >:(

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #217 on: June 30, 2007, 01:20:22 AM »
But if they've failed to take notice of a thread that's been going this long, what chance does a new thread have?
Well, it's hard to follow a so long thread... I think IF we have a problem, posting in a new thread would help.
Maybe we should stop posting in a solved thread ;D

This thread has been hovering near the top of the forum list for well over a month now, and yet there's been no input at all. >:(
Now it difficult than ever...

GrahamE

« Reply #218 on: June 30, 2007, 02:04:30 PM »
Well, it's hard to follow a so long thread... I think IF we have a problem, posting in a new thread would help.
Maybe we should stop posting in a solved thread ;D

Well, yes, I agree that it would be a bit mind-numbing to read throught the whole thing. It's a pity that they haven't responded to the files that I (and I assume others) have sent to them from the Chest, and resolved it long ago. We wouldn't really need a comment from them if they'd done that, since this thread would have stopped weeks ago. If it is assumed (and I think it now is) that these are false results, then in a way there isn't a problem, it's more an irritation. Like most people, I'd prefer that irritation to be stopped, because it's.....irritating.

I don't feel that I can really start the new thread, since my problem/irritation has been (hopefully) solved. There is also no guarantee that they'll respond to the new thread anyway - they certainly didn't bother when this thread began, all those years ago.  ;D Perhaps I should start a thread entitled "ALWIL - LOOK AT THREAD http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=28377.0 OR DIE THE DEATH OF A THOUSAND CUTS"  8)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #219 on: June 30, 2007, 02:35:33 PM »
Well, yes, I agree that it would be a bit mind-numbing to read throught the whole thing. It's a pity that they haven't responded to the files that I (and I assume others) have sent to them from the Chest, and resolved it long ago. We wouldn't really need a comment from them if they'd done that, since this thread would have stopped weeks ago.
Yeah. Their fault on not correcting the false positives... Shame...

If it is assumed (and I think it now is) that these are false results, then in a way there isn't a problem, it's more an irritation. Like most people, I'd prefer that irritation to be stopped, because it's.....irritating.
Nobody likes a false positive...

Dangerman

« Reply #220 on: July 02, 2007, 10:40:55 AM »
Very strange.  16 days totally clean, nothing picked up having used CCleaner deleting Firefox cache many times and then last night Win32:Agent-HAI [Trj] turns up again.  Only had this one once before on 1st June when it was picked up with a "G" {Trj}.
Did you try to remove CCleaner completely, removing it's folder. Booting, installing CCleaner again (last version)?
If this does not work, can you uninstall Firefox and start the installation of it all over again?
While I agree with GrahamE that this is not about Firefox, I had been having a problem for a while with a Java Null Pointer exception, so completely un-installed FF last night as I needed to see if I could resolve that.  Well, the good thing is that the null pointer exception problem seems to have been resolved by doing this.  I ran CCleaner afterwards and nothing showed up.  However, as we know these trojans are not picked up every time.  I had the HAI {trj} 3 times on Saturday, which was most unusual as I have only had it twice before since this began.  I may well do a complete uninstall of CCleaner later today just to see what happens.  I still think however that this is something that rests with Avast to sort out.

Well done to GrahamE for solving his problem by getting a "relatively" new PC. That's a novel way to sort it out.  ;)

Dangerman

« Reply #221 on: August 03, 2007, 12:19:37 AM »
For everyone who was following this thread, Win32:Agent-HAI [Trj] is now showing as no virus in the virus chest.  I think this one can finally be put to rest.

GrahamE

« Reply #222 on: August 03, 2007, 01:03:58 AM »
And after less then 3 months as well! I'm just glad they were false positives......... ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #223 on: August 03, 2007, 04:13:19 PM »
Uff... finally the false positives were corrected.

GrahamE

« Reply #224 on: August 30, 2007, 09:11:22 PM »
While I'm waiting for the completed version of CCleaner 2.0 to come out before using it, it's interesting that the Beta version has " new installer routines to prevent false positives by anti-virus programs".

Perhaps they did listen!! :D