Author Topic: Security Software  (Read 20098 times)

the Tester

Re: Security Software
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2007, 05:53:11 AM »
Resident:
Comodo Firewall Pro 2.4.18.184.
Avast Home.
WinPatrol Plus.

On Demand:
SUPERAntiSpyware free.
A-Squared free.

Immunisation:
SpyWare Blaster.

Sandbox:
Sandboxie.

louis_zuo

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2007, 01:11:41 PM »
hi, i have a fool question.... umm will the computer run very slowly cuz installed so many security software like anti-virus, spyware terminator, firewall, p2p guard......?
sorry about my poor english, im new here :P

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2007, 01:39:59 PM »
Of course it will. If you install too many things and have them running all at once, sure it will have some heavy impact on your system resources, especially if you install some applications that will "kill" each other while running on the same system in the same time.

If you follow some advices some people posted here in this forum, you'll find which ones of those utilities are "secure" and safe to use inside one system and in the same time.
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2007, 02:13:55 PM »
To add to Sasha's post, it also depends on what kind of machine you are running.
A fast machine may be able to handle a few more of these programs running in the background, but even the fastest systems can be slowed down considerably by using too many of these programs. So you really need to find the right balance beetwen performance and security for your machine.

I have a pretty decent Core Duo system(pretty well OCed aswell) with 2gb's of ram and even this quite powerful machine get's slowed down considerably if i put on too many of these programs. ATM(i am still deciding on my security setup) i am running 3 resident antimalware programs, an AV and a firewall and the machine handles it with no problems but i am pretty certain if i would put all these programs on my other machine(stock barton 2600+ with 1gb ram) it would slow it down to a crawl.

BTW don't worry about your english, it's fine ... ;)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 02:16:20 PM by Darth_Mikey »

louis_zuo

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2007, 05:25:02 PM »
thank you guys, i have learnt a lot in this forum ;)

E

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2007, 07:44:36 PM »
Well, the on demand stuff might not tax much as long as you run a single program at a time maybe

Jeleal

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2008, 11:24:45 PM »
Added Mamutu recently and all seems well with latest 4.8 version. I doubt I need an antispyware program running resident, but can anyone tell me how well the recent release of Spyware Terminator runs with Avast? Thanks.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2008, 11:33:25 PM »
But can anyone tell me how well the recent release of Spyware Terminator runs with Avast?
I don't see a problem.
Will you run it on-demand or you want it to be resident?
Will you use the ClamAv integrated into SpywareTerminator or not?
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2008, 11:39:56 PM »
All the programs mentioned in this topic obviously work with avast and spyware terminator was one of them and is in use with many forum members because it id free and offers resident protection. If you use this application, I don't think you should install the toolbar or crawler or the anti-virus module.

SAS is an on-demand scanner in the free version and I feel it has a better detection and clean-up rate than ST.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Jeleal

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2008, 12:13:19 AM »
Hey thanks Tech. I was thinking of running it in realtime without the AV of course as it seems to have improved with the new version that's out. That's why I asked if anyone is running Avast with the latest release. Thanks DavidR for your reply about the toolbar and WSG. I think it slows down Firefox what i remeber in the older versions of ST. I want to install Comodo 3.0 again, but my uses my PC and I always feel worried she may deny something and lock me out of my PC. I know this is very unlikely, but it has been reported as happening in the Comodo forums more than a few times, and it has been suggested that something needs to be done about it. What's do either of you think about Comodo Firewall Pro? Thanks.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2008, 03:17:01 AM »
What's do either of you think about Comodo Firewall Pro? Thanks.
I'd like version 2.4. Never worked well the version 3 on my Vista computer.
It's a good firewall, but not for me. Too many problems, conflicts, incompatibilities, install troubles.
On Vista, I'm using PCTools firewall. Stable. Doing its job.

Jeleal

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2008, 03:44:28 AM »
Yeah, PC Tools Firewall is a nice one. Very light and it offers some extra protection besides just its firewall capabilities doesn't it?

Offline Justin_22

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
  • Free your soul and let it fly
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2008, 04:32:00 AM »
Ill put in my bit its not to good.... yet

Antivirus- Avast! 4.8 Home
Antispyware- resident- Avast!
Antispyware on demand- Superantispyware, Spybot
Antirootki- Avast!
Firewall- Windows xp sp2 firewall

its not to beefed up yet im missing a few essentials but ill be getting on that as soon as school ends homework has been bogging me down

Avast!  2014 beta - Sandboxie - K9 Web Protection

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2008, 02:30:38 PM »
and it offers some extra protection besides just its firewall capabilities doesn't it?
Hmmm... I don't think so. It's just a firewall. What do you expect from it?

Jeleal

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2008, 05:01:01 AM »
and it offers some extra protection besides just its firewall capabilities doesn't it?
Hmmm... I don't think so. It's just a firewall. What do you expect from it?

I thought I read it also provides Application Protection which I think is similar to the extra protection the old 2.4 version of Comodo Pro Firewall had. I may just go ahead with Online Armor Personal if it runs well with Avast. Take care Tech. 
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 06:34:57 AM by Jeleal »