Author Topic: Avast Smart Scan  (Read 1439 times)

Offline Wittmann

• Pegasus
  • Retired professional engineer BSc.Eng M.I.Mech.E
Avast Smart Scan
« on: June 19, 2021, 12:32:50 PM »
I have recently had my PC repaired and Avast Free retained. Avast version = 21.4.2464 build 21.4.6266.670.

I want to get rid of "Advanced issues" on the scan - see image
With that selection, Advanced issues still appears on the scan - how do i get rid of it ?

UTRINQUE PARATUS
Windows 10 version 20H2 - Avast free AV - ZoneAlarm Firewall

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast Smart Scan
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2021, 04:20:42 PM »
The NOT so Smart Scan used to have section in the main Avast settings and that actually allowed to do what you seek. 
However, that has long gone, now you have to go into the geek:area via the Menu > Settings > Search and type geek:area, and scroll down, see attached images.  Even then there is no selection of which scans you want.

Your image is just the Avast Components, the smart scan isn't a component but part of the avast protection

I'm sure I have probably mentioned it before, but the smart scan to me is more of a vehicle to promote other avast paid products and this Advanced issues is the main element.

I abandoned the NOT so Smart Scan ages ago, and only run what scan I feel are worth my time (as resident scanners make on-demand scan much depreciated), That would be the very occasional WiFi Inspector and possibly the Software Updater, which incidentally has been temporally removed from the smart scan), but still available as a manually run on-demand scan.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 04:24:30 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Wittmann

• Pegasus
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2021, 04:42:05 PM »
The NOT so Smart Scan used to have section in the main Avast settings and that actually allowed to do what you seek. 
However, that has long gone, now you have to go into the geek:area via the Menu > Settings > Search and type geek:area, and scroll down, see attached images.  Even then there is no selection of which scans you want.

Your image is just the Avast Components, the smart scan isn't a component but part of the avast protection

I'm sure I have probably mentioned it before, but the smart scan to me is more of a vehicle to promote other avast paid products and this Advanced issues is the main element.

I abandoned the NOT so Smart Scan ages ago, and only run what scan I feel are worth my time (as resident scanners make on-demand scan much depreciated), That would be the very occasional WiFi Inspector and possibly the Software Updater, which incidentally has been temporally removed from the smart scan), but still available as a manually run on-demand scan.

I have more scan programs to use instead of Avast - SUPERantiSpyware, AdwCleaner, Emsisoft Emergency Kit and SpywareBlaster in hiding.
UTRINQUE PARATUS

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2021, 05:56:34 PM »
I honestly think that you can get bogged down with multiple AV/malware/Adware scanners.  You start to become a slave to keeping them all up to date for what I feel are of limited benefit.

I gave up on SpywareBlaster so long ago I forget, followed by SAS for all of the benefit they were and I have never used the others you mentioned and yet here I am still uninfected.

I think some people are more prone to infection because of their browsing/security habits.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Wittmann

• Pegasus
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2021, 11:41:49 PM »
I honestly think that you can get bogged down with multiple AV/malware/Adware scanners.  You start to become a slave to keeping them all up to date for what I feel are of limited benefit.

I gave up on SpywareBlaster so long ago I forget, followed by SAS for all of the benefit they were and I have never used the others you mentioned and yet here I am still uninfected.

I think some people are more prone to infection because of their browsing/security habits.
David - I used to rely totally on Sandboxie and Avast with great success until Sandboxie went bust, not it is only Avast.
UTRINQUE PARATUS

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2021, 12:02:18 AM »
Off topic :)

Open source Sandboxie fork Sandboxie Plus is still under active deveopement :

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/released-sandboxie-plus-sbie-fork-versions-with-signed-driver.434924/

Greetz, Red.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )