Author Topic: Avast disadvantage  (Read 10553 times)

nitzan6

Avast disadvantage
« on: May 18, 2007, 11:33:30 AM »
Deat Avast!

Ur anti - virus very good... but if u want that It will be better you can do that thing:
1 -  To do that the scan don't take long time.
2 - Avast makes problems with ZoneAlarm, pls fix it.
3- To improve the interface for beginners (It's hard to understand it).
4 - sometimes avast detected files that aren't viruses, trojans or worms, they are just regular files.

U can do it in 5.0 avast... ! (or to the next ver.)

*I hope that u don't ignore this Topic... pls i am trying
to help you... and the people that use ur anti virus.

ty

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast disadvantage
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 02:04:37 PM »
1 - To do that the scan don't take long time.
It depends on the number of files, how deep you're scanning (archives, etc.). But, indeed, on-demand speed is not the best on avast.

2 - Avast makes problems with ZoneAlarm, pls fix it.
ZA free has no problems. ZA Pro has a problem on *its* side. ZoneLabs should correct the driver and never did it... It's a shame.

Run ashSimp2.exe from avast folder. If you like it, just set avast to does not use skins.

4 - sometimes avast detected files that aren't viruses, trojans or worms, they are just regular files.
Every antivirus or antispyware do this from time to time... false positives are always a problem when you try to detect virus.

But thanks for your comments. Welcome to avast forums.
Feel free to come back and ask for help if you need so or just to share experiences...
The best things in life are free.

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 02:17:07 PM »
Hi nitzan6! :D
First: Why are you duplicate your post: It would be better if you just sent it to a wishlist section, but not pointing from from there to here ( But it's only IMHO ::))
Second: to your request:
1) The scanning speed was great improve (comparing to the old version), & hopefully will be more improved in future;
2) Avast indeed have some problems with ZoneAlarm (but only with Pro version), there's why i can suggest you to try more efficient Free products like COMODO Firewall Pro or PCTools Firewall plus;
3) If you don't like avast! interface, try to look for some other skins for it(which suits you), from a great variety on www.avast.com.;
4) Maybe, but there's no 100% perfect antivirus in the world, everyone has a false positives (some more? some less ::) ). In that case i like to say: "the best defense is common sense".

Avast is constantly developing product, & I'm sure that problems that you indicated will me 100% solved some time.

BTW wellcome to Avast forums 8)

@Tech:
You're ahed of me again ;)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 02:23:38 PM by avatar2005 »

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 02:51:37 PM »

3. I don't agree. I have many friends that are beginners, and they (not all, but 99% of them) like the layout and they quicky learn the functions, and they like that they can use different skins.

4. As Tech said, every antivirus or antispyware do this from time to time, this is not just something that happen for avast!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 02:53:12 PM by Bluesman »
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 03:14:18 PM »
@ avatar2005
I have to disagree, this is where things should be discussed, if you feel you are experiencing problems.

The wishlist shouldn't be for discussion, just 'specific' features you would like to see in the next major release and the above are generalisations.

@ nitzan6
1. "To do that the scan don't take long time."
- Scans that are reported as taking too long unless accompanied with scanner settings (Thorough, with Archives, how much data is being scanned, etc.) and system information (CPU, RAM), can't be compared to see if they are slow or not. avast has continued to optimise the scanning engine and I don't doubt this will continue.

2. "Avast makes problems with ZoneAlarm, pls fix it."
- Without an accompanying description of the problems that avast makes with ZA nothing can be guessed as to what that problem might be or even if the workaround will work.

3. "To improve the interface for beginners (It's hard to understand it)."
- How can you improve the Interface if it isn't said what they feel needs improving and how. Some of the other skins are much better than the default, but the skinless interface should be relatively clear.

4. FPs are a fact of life for all security based software and for avast those reported as FPs usually accompanied with information are usually corrected quickly.

Whilst you are undoubtedly trying to help there isn't much information to work with.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 07:05:51 PM »
@ avatar2005
I have to disagree, this is where things should be discussed, if you feel you are experiencing problems.
David, you know, I tried to think of that again,  maybe you 're right, besides, reading my post #2 I figured out some kind of offense on unexperienced users, so sorry for that :-\ :-X

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 08:12:27 PM »
No need to be sorry, you also answered the questions/points that nitzan6 raised, which should also point towards most are within the users control but certainly not features but problems.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security