Author Topic: Annoying "Renew early" popup even with Silent Mode on..  (Read 21090 times)

Offline chris..

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Re: Annoying "Renew early" popup even with Silent Mode on..
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2022, 10:43:52 AM »
At the same time, the last known virus dates back to 2011 and the name "antivirus" is mainly used for commercial reasons.
"Because consumers believe that the words 'virus' and 'computer threat' are synonymous, companies name their cybersecurity software products 'antivirus,' leading consumers to believe that viruses are still the problem."
Yes, it's up to everyone to look for answers on the web, but highlighting only the commercial term used (antivirus) - without any other technical explanations - seems to be very light to determine the real level of protection. :-\
Many anti-malware products are de facto anti-viruses, as the viruses themselves are malware.
Of course, this does not mean that Avast antivirus is a simple antivirus, otherwise it would be a real security sieve.
I use avast, but the fact that it advertises "anti-virus" has never been a lesser factor in my choice .... otherwise I know how to read when "anti-malware" products explain how they also protect against "viruses".
« Last Edit: January 01, 2022, 11:14:48 AM by chris.. »

Offline xSean

« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2022, 01:05:44 AM »
Any status on fixing his issue?
Been getting it again for months now, but been hoping it would have finally been fixed.

Instead the only change I've seen is to the Firewall settings which is more cumbersome to use than before and still doesn't have a way to export/import Firewall rules.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2022, 09:59:19 AM »
Instead the only change I've seen is to the Firewall settings which is more cumbersome to use than before and still doesn't have a way to export/import Firewall rules.
Hi, you can export/import (screenshot) your settings.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline xSean

« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2022, 02:11:23 PM »

Then it must be bugged as using Import/Export from there did not keep any of the previous Application Settings or manually blocked IP ranges.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2022, 02:16:29 PM »
Then it must be bugged as using Import/Export from there did not keep any of the previous Application Settings or manually blocked IP ranges.
Update to the latest version (21.11): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=310650.0
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline datamungo

« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2022, 11:49:22 PM »
This is still happening.

One avast moderator says "its a bug" in this thread.
One avast moderator says "this is intentional sales" in this thread.

Which is it? And FFS already put in an option to STOP it.

Offline r44flyer

« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2022, 12:53:35 AM »
I followed through and cancelled my renewal.
I installed Malwarebytes Premium (on 3 PCs) in September 2021 and haven't had any issues with it.
It runs in the background quietly and scans are efficient.
No annoying Pop-ups.
Occasionally a message from MB that a particular Google searched website has been blocked and would be un-wise to proceed.
So all good for me getting rid of Avast.
It's  not an AV but, it's your computer.
You are way out of date, yes it is

Offline xSean

« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2022, 01:07:35 AM »
Update to the latest version (21.11): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=310650.0

Rather not go to a build that isn't ready for a full public release yet.

On the main subject of this topic, have noticed that the spam alert seems to pop up at regular intervals, and if it is supposed to be an intentional thing then it is having the exact opposite effect. A popup should never happen to PAID users, especially when they're at ~6 months away from their subscription ending.

Even if it was close, this should be relegated to one email within a month close to the expiration, not as a daily popup to everyone within the same subscription.

Most frustrating part is that there's been little word on why this is happening at all.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2022, 01:13:42 AM »

Rather not go to a build that isn't ready for a full public release yet.
<snip>

This was released to the public on 16th December 2021.
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=310650.0
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline xSean

« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2022, 03:31:09 AM »
This was released to the public on 16th December 2021.
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=310650.0

Looks like I'm actually already on 2.11.2500, though has it listed as being released on the 9th which is what threw me off.

Exporting and then importing to a new PC definitely did not work as I recently (around the 20th) installed Avast to a fresh PC and imported settings only to see none of the Firewall settings be there.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2022, 04:01:45 AM »
Mine is on 21.11.2500 (build 21.11.6809.528).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline datamungo

« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2022, 02:24:47 AM »
Does any Avast Employee care to comment on this?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2022, 03:36:05 AM »
Does any Avast Employee care to comment on this?

They already have, but it was a rather long time ago in reply #40
Hi,

We are currently looking into this issue.
Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Offline datamungo

« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2022, 02:04:24 AM »
Yes, here is the post from the moderator:

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2021, 04:48:20 PM »

Hi,

We are currently looking into this issue.
Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Then the same moderator says:

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2021, 12:17:24 PM »

As an update and to clarify the pop message issue.
This is not a bug. We are offering an upgrade service package (Ultimate).
We believe this to be a great deal and package. We understand the frustration with the pop-up offer, and we're looking into doing optimizations on the frequency of these.
It is currently not possible to disable these upgrade offers within Avast. However, we are looking into solutions.

So basically if I am reading this correct, the program we pay for to remove viruses and spam from other sources is in turn spamming up with daily upgrade offers? And this is what the company INTENDS.

He then comes back a third time with

« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2021, 04:31:17 PM »

Hi,

We are genuinely sorry for the inconvenience caused.
Please know that we are still working on a permanent fix, and we hope to release it soon.

That was 4 months ago...

Then the 4th response is to silent all notifications so we cannot see warnings or notifications. And he even admits it might not work.

« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2021, 01:27:07 PM »

Hi,

You seem to have Avast Premium Security, and enabling silent mode should fix this. Please see https://support.avast.com/en-eu/article/Antivirus-popup-notifications/
If you are receiving the renew early notifications after having enabled silent mode, please contact Avast Support via https://support.avast.com/en-gb/contact/paid

It would be nice if R@VAST would respond further to explain this.

Offline xSean

« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2022, 01:15:22 AM »
Ad spam has actually gotten worse lately with even more intrusive popups.

Just have a toggle for those that are already paying customers.
Spamming paid subscribers with constant upsell popups is a good way to lose business.