Author Topic: BIG Lag starting up Windows after upgrade  (Read 3865 times)

Alistair Craven

BIG Lag starting up Windows after upgrade
« on: May 18, 2007, 05:39:05 PM »
Dear support team and forum members,

I open a new topic because i have a problem with avast and i hope you can help. I appologize if this prob has been addressed before, but i couldn't find something similar in the previous threads.

I have Avast home edition 4.7 and i run it on a pc with amd 64 proc 3200, 512 mb ram and win XP sp2. It all worked fine until the upgrade i did about 2 weeks ago. The computer started, the desktop  wallpaper appeared, the mouse and keyboard worked, but the desktop icons and taskbar did not appear, so i couldnt do anything. I tried pressing ctrl-alt-del and stopped aswUpdSv.exe and then windows worked! At short time after, there was another upgrade available and after i installed it, the problem persisted, but the trick with task manager doesn't work anymore.
I just have to wait about 5 min from the moment i see the desktop and the moment i can use my computer.

What can i do?

Thank you!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: BIG Lag starting up Windows after upgrade
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 05:50:20 PM »
What other security based software do you have that might have an effect on boot, e.g. anti-spyware applications, SpySweeper, Spyware Doctor (StartUpGuard or OnGuard), PrevX, WinPatrol, ProcessGuard, etc. ?

If nothing has changed on your system (new security applications or updates) prior to this problem:
Try the Program Settings, Troubleshooting and check the 'Delay loading of avast! services after other system services' and see if that has any effect.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Alistair Craven

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 12:35:18 AM »
Thank you, it worked!

just to let you know, i also use ZoneLabs zonealarm firewall and spybot seach&destroy with his IE resident, but those two never made me problems and i haven't ever noticed a conflict between them and avast. I was sure it was the antivirus, because the the problem ocurred right after the update & reboot.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 01:17:25 AM »
No problem, glad I could help.

Welcome to the forums.

It is just that a recent tweak to the program designed to get the avast services to load quicker to start protection as soon as possible has in some cases conflicted with another service causing this delay. Un-checking that option reverses the tweak.

ZA Free shouldn't be an issue with avast (only the ZA Pro and privacy function caused a problem), S&D again shouldn't be a problem with avast.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 03:49:46 PM »
Have you recently updated your Windows?
Sometimes (once a month at least), after the Tuesday patch, we got a lot of trouble on loading and updating avast after making login due to the resources being consummed by Windows Update services (scanning, downloading, etc.).
But test the tweak posted by David to see if the login process goes better.
The best things in life are free.