Author Topic: Bluefox PDF Converter  (Read 1153 times)

Offline Ersoy

Bluefox PDF Converter
« on: June 21, 2021, 02:53:58 PM »
Hello,

Is this a false positive?

http://www.bluefoxpdf.com/.......

Every time and from every site, while trying to download the above file I receive a PUP warning the connection is closed by Avast.

I tried also to contact BlueFoxPdf but no response yet.

Thank you

Edited by advise
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 12:24:48 AM by Ersoy »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Bluefox PDF Converter
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2021, 11:59:16 PM »
Hello,

Is this a false positive?

-http://www.bluefoxpdf.com/BlueFoxFreePDFConvertMaster.exe

Every time and from every site, while trying to download the above file I receive a PUP warning the connection is closed by Avast.

I tried also to contact BlueFoxPdf but no response yet.

Thank you

First please change the URL so it isn't active to prevent accidental exposure, as I have above by placing -in front of the url e.g. -http

Did you change the Avast settings to check for PUPs (Potentially Unwanted Programs) ?
I thought that was disabled by default, see my attached image as I don't have scan for pups in the Web Shield settings.

A PUP could have come with other programs or can have other programs come packaged with it, etc. etc. as in Pondus's link.

So if you actually intended to download it, then it isn't so much Unwanted (you may have used it before) and you may have used it before (we don't know).  In the PUP alert did it give the option to continue ?

Avast in itself doesn't know if it was/is unwanted so I seeks confirmation.

That said, there are a great deal of other scanners detecting this in one name or other, so I would be looking at another product.  There are a few free PDF converters about but care has to be taken as free often means additional products come with it.

I did download it and scanned it and that returned two detections, one on the main file and a strangely named .dll file within the main executable.

So I wouldn't touch it with a long stick.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Ersoy

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2021, 12:32:21 AM »
Hello,

First of all, many thanks for this kind and educative response. I learned a lot from you.

Yes, I setup Avast to care about possible PUP's.

I tried to install it on another computer. With many warnings. At this time Avast was able to throw away the strange DLL file.
I started the desktop shortcut and I got the message was something like.....converter2.exe can't be found. I changed manually the shortcut. And it works great over there.

May be my own settings are too strict. But it's good this way.

Thank you, best regards

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2021, 12:58:16 AM »
You're welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security