Author Topic: Who has this formula and know how to fine-tune it?  (Read 10326 times)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Who has this formula and know how to fine-tune it?
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2007, 05:53:39 PM »
Just keep in mind, however, that several people posting in this thread apparently don't know enough about computers to be able to keep themselves safe using more advanced technology - i.e. anything more complicated than an antivirus scanner appears to be beyond them.

Considering your lack of time here in these forums to get any idea of what the posters in this topics experience might be, to tar everyone as being incapable of using anything more complex/complicated than an anti-virus is out of order.

Had you said 'Just keep in mind, however, that several people reading this thread, etc. etc.' would have been nearer the mark, but you didn't, effectively a slur on the posters in this topic.

You say "It's been a relatively effective piece of software, from my personal experience" and we accept that statement, we don't say anything about your experience as we simply don't know what that might be and don't make assumptions.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2007, 05:58:39 PM »
Just keep in mind, however, that several people posting in this thread apparently don't know enough about computers to be able to keep themselves safe using more advanced technology - i.e. anything more complicated than an antivirus scanner appears to be beyond them.
I read something once that mentioned something about stones and glass houses etc. Wonder if that applies to this statement.... ??? ??? ???
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2007, 12:03:21 AM »
Strange way to appear in a forum... It's a pity. Besides, you're wrong, there are a lot of knowledge and help on avast forums, you can test the number of happy users...
Some people are never satisfied, some people are always sad...
The best things in life are free.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2007, 05:05:12 AM »
"Is this the room for an argument?" . . . everyone take a deep breath and relax.

No names...
I tried BOClean and it lasted a whole hour before I uninstalled it, you can't run an on-demand scan, its configuration is I feel limited and I hadn't got a clue what it was meant to do, zero help file and sod all in the way of what it does on the web site. I will not install security applications where I have limited controls and worse still don't know what it does or how it works.

As far I could learn, it is only an on-access (resident) scanner.

still have boclean on my laptop but what is it doing

Please forgive me if you have already read and digested this info but  http://www.comodo.com/boclean/boclean.html  and support/configuration at http://www.comodo.com/boclean/supboc.html are very clear and informative as to what BOClean is, does & doesn't do.

Solcroft's comment may be presumptuious and blunt but perhaps he/she took a 'mile' having been given at least an 'inch'.

Anyway, to the point. I use BOCLean at home (with Avast! Home) and on a corporate network (with CA Antivirus) and for me, its great strengths are that it uses almost no resources, does not require user intervention (except to make an addition to the exclusion list) and can be configured to be invisible to the user. Now it's free as well which is almost too good to be true.

Happy trails
Vlad

« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 08:57:47 AM by Vladimyr »
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2007, 03:15:36 PM »
I don't believe anyone is looking for an argument and I believe we are relaxed.

You could simply have posted the relevant information links and been done with it, but your comments just elicit a response as I said, I don't feel we are arguing just making the point that the poster doesn't know anything about those he slights and I believe we are calm and relaxed.

I don't know how long these links have been up but a prior look at the Comodo site basically referred you to the original BOCllean site. The first link is to generalised more like advertising/PR/Press release. The second link is much better.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2007, 03:17:05 PM »
Hi Vladimyr,

The only hickup with BOClean is that I cannot update it on the one normal user account, and have to go back to the admin account on my XP computer, even while I gave the update program particular privileges in the COMODO FW, but apart from that I am satisfied.
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2007, 05:56:26 PM »
almost no resources
But does it do anything at all that WinPatrol is not doing or avasts is not scanning?
Security needs some resources... miracles do not happen every day: a software that does everything and consume nothing...

mauserme

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2007, 11:49:02 PM »
Anyway, to the point. I use BOCLean at home (with Avast! Home) and on a corporate network (with CA Antivirus) and for me, its great strengths are that it uses almost no resources, does not require user intervention (except to make an addition to the exclusion list) and can be configured to be invisible to the user. Now it's free as well which is almost too good to be true.
Agreed.  I also have it in both environments and I like the extra layer of protection on computers where the users are not always as careful as I prefer.   But I would like a little more feed back from the program -  even a simple clock showing total time active, or a scanned file count, would give me greater comfort.

As to the previously made comments, all I can say is I know Tech's abilities, I know DavidR's abilities, and I know FwFrank's abilities. 

I don't know solcraft so I searched the forum for an indication of his superior abilities.  Didn't find it.  Searched the web for other forums he might be on.  Found one about body building and injecting steroids (probably not the same solcraft) and a web design site.

Now don't misunderstand.  I'm not criticizing his ablitiies because I don't know what they are.  I am saying if he chooses to criticize the likes of Tech or DavidR or FwFrank then he should be specific and he needs to show what he's got.  If any of us makes a mistake in the help we've given and he, or anyone, has a specific way to remedy it or prevent a problem we might have caused then for sure post it.  If he has better methods or deeper insight into a problem, then post it.  Since I seem to be a member of the uneducated I'll add that I would love to learn more from him.

But a general statement that the un-named "they" don't  know security is not productive. 
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 11:55:37 PM by mauserme »

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2007, 03:40:48 AM »
Hi DavidR
First, don't take the Monty Python quote, or me, too seriously (none of my family do!)
But I was serious when I said "Please forgive me if you have already read....." because I had read these pages back on April 27, following this post from Polonus http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=28016.0  so I apologise for presuming that you and/or others would also have seen them.

Polonus
Re BOClean updating. Have you tried the fix http://www.comodo.com/boclean/supboc.html > 'Cannot get BOClean to update on "limited user accounts"' about 1/4 way down the page?

Tech
"Almost no resources" - in terms of CPU cycles. Of course it uses some memory as well.
But does it do anything at all that WinPatrol is not doing or avasts is not scanning?
I've not used WinPatrol, but if Avast! and its VDB were always 100% failsafe, then nothing else would be necessary.

cheers,
Vlad
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 08:55:11 AM by Vladimyr »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2007, 03:43:07 PM »
That is why the forum smilies are for ;D ;D or <G> that indicate it is humorous, not to be taken seriously.

However, to suffix it with ". . . everyone take a deep breath and relax" kind of takes the edge of any implied humour as the statement indicates you feel we aren't relaxed and should take a deep breath.

The thread was effectively dead when you first posted, everyone had said their piece and no response from the original poster of the comment. So as I said simply posting that information would have ended it there. Personally I'm done with this as there are much better things to be getting on with.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2007, 08:37:20 PM »
Tech "Almost no resources" - in terms of CPU cycles. Of course it uses some memory as well.
I've not used WinPatrol, but if Avast! and its VDB were always 100% failsafe, then nothing else would be necessary.
Thanks. I'd rather stay with WinPatrol: easy configuration, not that much resources (similar to BOClean as far I can see) but I can understand what is going on...

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2007, 03:20:50 AM »
Hi DavidR
Personally I'm done with this as there are much better things to be getting on with.
Agreed, and thanks for the "smiley science" tip.

cheers

neal62

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2007, 10:45:50 PM »
Just a bit of "FYI" about the Comodo BOClean program. I downloaded it. I am running WinXP SP2 all current updates. I noticed later that when shutting down my computer it took almost 3 minutes to do so where it had only taken about 45 seconds prior to using this program. Finally after a couple of weeks I uninstalled the program. Now my pc is back to shutting down in the 45 sec time frame it used to do prior to me using BOClean.
    Not trying to stir up any trouble over this, just wanted to relate my experiences and what I did to put things back to normal.  :D