Author Topic: A Rebooting We Will Go  (Read 1882 times)

jrapoport

A Rebooting We Will Go
« on: May 19, 2007, 01:37:58 AM »
My Avast seems to update about 4 times per day, and every time that it updates I need to reboot.  What gives, why all of the reboots?

I have the following information on my Avast:

4.7.1001 Home version
Compilation date 5/18/2007
File version: 000741-4

Can someone please tell me if this is normal?

Thanks,
Joseph

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: A Rebooting We Will Go
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 02:40:44 AM »
No it is not normal and there are a number of topics in the forums relating to always avast asking for reboot.

Operating system restart needed by avast message - First check the contents of the C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\setup.log file (the last 50 or so lines), which should show you why it thinks the reboot is needed.

This could be solved, in some systems, by deleting the file C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\reboot.txt

If that doesn't resolve it check this:
You can also check this registry entry (right after computer restart):
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager, if it contains "PendingFileRenameOpertaions".

Check its contents and if there's only "reboot.txt" from avast4\setup folder, delete PendingFileRenameOperations, don't delete any other key.
Back-up (export) the registry key before you edit/delete, just in case.

If none of the above are the cause it could be a tweaking issue that is having an effect on avast:
- see 8,3 Tweak issue - Check out this thread and see if some of the possible solutions can help you too.
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=28199.0
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security