Author Topic: Avast constantly demanding reboots  (Read 4738 times)

billryan_nz

Avast constantly demanding reboots
« on: May 17, 2007, 10:45:56 PM »
Guys, are you currently making significant changes to the programme - or is something odd going on here? 3 computers (2 x Vista Ultimate, 1 x Home Premium) running Avast 4 Home. Two of them (2 x Ultimate - but not the Home Premium machine) are requiring full restarts after updating (as has always been required for a programme update but not an iVAS update). Over the last 3 days, has happened 4-5 times. Any thoughts?

Bill

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: Avast constantly demanding reboots
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 10:53:50 PM »
Have you used any tweaking tools?
This is a compatibility problem between the latest avast version and the "NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation" registry setting.

Cheers
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 10:56:44 PM »
If, after answering Vlk you still have problems with reboots, please, install avast from the scratch:

1. Uninstall avast from Control Panel first.
2. Boot.
3. Use Avast Uninstall for complete uninstallation.
4. Boot.
5. Install again the last avast version 4.7.1001
6. Boot.
The best things in life are free.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 11:10:01 PM »
Also see 8,3 Tweak issue - Check out this thread (it is what Vlk refered to)and see if some of the possible solutions can help you too.
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=28199.0
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

billryan_nz

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 07:55:58 AM »
Vlk, many thanks,that's almost certainly it - will post back if it (or one of the thread suggestions) doesn't work but I imagine it will (not an essential tweak, anyway). Thanks too Tech and DavidR - and sorry about not picking up the previous thread. I hadn't picked this up earlier. I've been an Avast user for about 4-5 years but when I converted to Vista a couple of months ago, I decided to try out MS LiveCare. Talk about a waste of a subscription - that'll teach me! Now back in the care of one of the best software products I've used over the years...
Bill

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 02:10:13 PM »
I decided to try out MS LiveCare. Talk about a waste of a subscription - that'll teach me! Now back in the care of one of the best software products I've used over the years...
MS is not a good company on protection, security, antivirus and so on...
I wish each company stays on what they have of best and don't want to eat all the software market.
You've learned the hardest way, paying.
Welcome back 8)
The best things in life are free.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 02:40:24 PM »
Vlk, many thanks,that's almost certainly it - will post back if it (or one of the thread suggestions) doesn't work but I imagine it will (not an essential tweak, anyway). Thanks too Tech and DavidR - and sorry about not picking up the previous thread. I hadn't picked this up earlier.
<snip>
Bill

There is a lot if information on the forums and it can be difficult to find when you aren't sure what to search for, this particular problem would just seem so strange and not associated with the reboot requests, making it even harder to find.

What might help for the future when using the forum search tool, there is an Advanced Search option, which is really useful as you can order the results in a most recent first. This is most likely to return 'current' problems people have and may be more likely to return more relevant information.

The main thing is to get the problem sorted and hopefully you will.

Welcome back to the avast family.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

noadware

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2007, 09:32:47 AM »
Hi,

Same problem here. :) Sometimes it even asks for reboot when computer starts not just after it finished updating.

Thanks,
Karl

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2007, 03:01:37 PM »
Then check out the link to another topic in my Reply #3 above.