Author Topic: Safe to use SafeConnect resident behavior-blocker with Avast?  (Read 4930 times)

ArtL7

I think it's save to use SafeConnect, an unknown malware behavior-blocker, with Avast!, but wanted to double-check here. Here's what I posted under general topics:
SafeConnect is a well reviewed softare that identifies unusual behavior that might be malware, as opposed to signature-based like Avast!....Most forums warn against having two anti-virus resident programs at the same time, but the company wrote back to me regarding some concerns and offered this reassurance:

Let me try to answer all of your questions below.  This e-mail sounds very familiar and I believe we addressed the PC Magazine forum in the forum, but perhaps not.

1)    There are no known problems with the uninstall.  We do leave a registry entry with the previous key to determine if someone is trying to obviate our licensing policy, but the application and related files are all removed.
2)    Trial versions are for 15-days unless they were acquired through one of our partners that may have a longer evaluation period.
3)    Our architecture is totally different than your mentioned products.  We are running in the kernel of the OS watching processes, not just one, but combinations that collectively do things that are closely associated with the most dangerous forms of malware including bots, rootkits, Trojans and key loggers.  We typically find most of the same threats that an AV or anti-spyware package does, but we do it by observing, not comparing files to a distinctive pattern, fingerprint, definition or signature.  Therefore, we don't conflict and we don't exhibit malware traits to other AV packages that are looking for specific identifying information.
4)    As far as "not finding" anything, remember, if there is a piece of code that is in the system and it conforms to a specific signature, than other packages will find it.  We don't report malware until it starts executing and then stop it based on the exhibited behavior.  This allows us to find both known and unknown threats.  Therefore a legacy AV or anti-spyware program will find all the known ones with signatures, but they won't find new ones for which a signature hasn't been developed.  We will find them because we don't care about the signature, we care about how it operates when it starts executing.

I hope this clarifies your questions.
Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.
Best regards,

Greg Ewald
Director, Corporate Marketing
Sana Security, Inc.

email@sanasecurity.com

www.sanasecurity.com    Click Here to read about
Primary Response SafeConnect 2.1

Does that strike Avast! users as correct -- and it shouldn't cause conflicts?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Safe to use SafeConnect resident behavior-blocker with Avast?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 12:02:39 AM »
A good review here: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1911005,00.asp
But, aren't they promissing more than it's possible...
After all, why are they just side-by-side with Symantec?

Primary Response SafeConnect and Primary Response SafeConnect for Norton AntiVirus are available! At less than $30 per license, detection and removal of malware is affordable for every PC user. And, we've bundled licenses in convenient packs to fit any organization large or small.
The best things in life are free.