Author Topic: I hate Vista's UAC  (Read 2821 times)

Crashman

I hate Vista's UAC
« on: May 19, 2007, 09:49:42 AM »
Greetings,

I hope I'm not raising an issue that has been discussed elsewhere in this forum -- if I am, I apologize.  I've become glassy-eyed from trying to make my new machine with the indescribably vexing Vista Home Premium stop badgering me every time I want to run avast! or update its definitions.  For the record, I'm running 32 bit Vista with avast! 4.7.1001.

I cannot run the main scanner (ashavast.exe) or launch a manual definition update without getting "A program needs your permission to continue..." EVERY SINGLE TIME.  It is, to say the least, annoying.  I don't blame Alwil for this -- it's another example of a Microsoft "innovation" that somehow doesn't work without being in your face constantly and causing as many issues as it solves (though, admittedly, all these prompts are not as bad as a rogue invader app commandeering the system).

I'm now on my second clean install of Vista.  The first time I installed avast! as the first AV I tried, and the permissions popups began.  After the second reformat and install of Vista I tried a trial version of KAV, and the problem does not occur with that one.  But I still prefer how light on the system avast is, so I uninstalled KAV, cleaned the registry, and tried avast! again.  Same permission issue.

Am I the only one who is having this problem?  Please tell me I'm not, or I may start to weep uncontrollably. ;D

Many thanks for any info or ideas,
Crashman

Devware

Re: I hate Vista's UAC
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 02:47:52 PM »
I agree with U, I don't recommend this new version to everyone except person who is:

- Computer Technician
- Computer Book Author

And any computer related occupation

mauserme

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 04:47:35 PM »
UAC can be disabled

http://lifehacker.com/software/vista/windows-vista-tip--disable-annoying-need-your-permission-to-continue+-prompts-230866.php

though you lose that extra security of not being able to easily run any programs  ;D

Rick F

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 08:21:06 PM »
I cannot run the main scanner (ashavast.exe) or launch a manual definition update without getting "A program needs your permission to continue..." EVERY SINGLE TIME.  It is, to say the least, annoying.

This reminds me of that great Mac vs PC commercial on security... "cancel or allow".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JheuLfWYSsc

Sorry, I know this doesn't answer your question.  :-X

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 10:15:57 PM »
And why you don't leave avast! to do the updating on it's own? While you're clicking that UPDATE button your USER account is crossing the SYSTEM account of the system. And regular users aren't exactly allowed to "be" there...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Crashman

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 07:35:53 AM »
Greetings again,

Sorry for the long delay in replying.  Mom suffered a non-trivial stroke, and I've been trying to figure out how her care and living arrangements go forward from here (she's a widow and I'm the only child, so I get this responsibility all to myself...).  She has improved a bit, and that gives me a brief chance to do some of the things I would otherwise be doing now.  Today, that means trying to sort out Vista and avast! Besides, I need a different problem to focus on after a week of talking to doctors about Mom's.

It's not just (manually) updating that gives me the prompt.  Since my avast! is at this time the free edition, I have to start the main program to run a scan.  And I get the prompt every time I open the program's UI, even before I actually start the scan.   Moreover, though it is not good security policy to do so, I am running as an administrator (though I don't understand Vista well enough yet to know whether that also makes me THE administrator, if that distinction is valid).

I agree that disabling UAC is probably the best option at this point, but it bugs me that this goofy UAC is so invasive that, ironically, disabling it to conveniently run a well-established security program seems to be the most viable option.  Surely a company like Microsoft should be able to allow in a straightforward way enough elevation of privilege that a mainstream virus scanner can at least run its main UI without having to explicitly allow it every time. Apparently it possible to do so since KAV can do it, but it is obviously not a simple thing to do since so many other security apps seem to have their own issues with this new "feature".  I don't even want to think about trying a third-party firewall, for example, even though Vista's inbuilt firewall has its own significant weaknesses.

Time to get some overdue rest, I think... I detect that I'm close to not making any sense when I say things.  ???

Thanks again for your input.

Crashman