Author Topic: moved/renamed files disappearance  (Read 5386 times)

madrilenyo

moved/renamed files disappearance
« on: May 20, 2007, 05:10:00 PM »
Hello!  I searched this problem on the forum, and did not find the answer.

During a scan, Avast! gave me the option of moving and renaming a suspect .pst file (my outlook email file).  I accepted, but then I got a message that there was a problem in the action.

The .pst file was gone from its Outlook location, and Outlook could not find it to open.  So, I looked for the file in all my avast folders (chest, moved, etc.).  Nothing.   Gone.  No .vir file, or anything.

So, I looked at the program settings of Avast! and I saw that there is a 256mb default limit to the size of the chest.  I know that the .pst file is bigger than that.

I suspect that this limit aborted the move/rename action, but I don't know what happened to the original file!  In the Avast! logs, I found this reference:
5/18/2007  1:27:02 AM  1179466022  ssacco  460  Error in aswChestC: chestAddFile Error 1753. 

Can anyone give me an idea of my options?  I need that .pst file  :( Thank you!!

I have Win XP Pro.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: moved/renamed files disappearance
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 05:47:58 PM »
I think you are in trouble, I don't use outlook (only outlook express), but the loss of the pst file is I fear unrecoverable unless you have a backup and recovery strategy that you can restore the main .pst file.

Outlook should be able to create a new .pst file but you will have lost the emails from the old on without backups.

The limit in the Chest shouldn't have any effect in the Moved folder as that is outside the avast Chest (that is however, an assumption on my part, but if avast uses the same method to send it there perhaps not). However, from the error message you posted I'm not sure if you didn't send it to the chest 'chestAddFile Error 1753.' I take it that you looked in this folder C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\moved assuming you installed into the default location ?

I'm sorry this isn't good news but many AVs suffer from the same problem, they can't extract an infected email from a database file (email folder) so they have to move or delete the complete file.

The file should still be present in the original location on the HDD but is removed from the list of files on the table. So it may be possible to recover it with some un-delete application, Google, recover deleted file, http://www.google.com/search?q=recover+deleted+file or http://www.google.com/search?q=recover+deleted+pst+file, you need to do this relatively quickly to have any possible chance of recovery, slim that it might be.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

madrilenyo

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 08:37:20 PM »
Hi DavidR - Thank you very much for the generous and thoughtful response.  I will try your suggestions.  I do have some older backups, so not all is lost, if the recovery proves impossible.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 08:43:38 PM »
Your welcome, sorry I couldn't be of more help.

No help at present but you can increase the size of file allowed and the chest size, Program Settings, Chest, though as you say the pst files can be very large. In OE I keep my inbox (.dbx file, the one most likely to be corrupted or deleted) almost empty moving them to a more appropriate folder depending on content after I have read and actioned them.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 12:15:30 AM »
Isn't there any big file in the original (outlook) folder? Maybe called something like trz12345.tmp?

madrilenyo

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 01:07:19 PM »
Hi Igor, thanks for the suggestion.  I just looked in the folder, and searched for *.tmp on the whole drive.  No such luck!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007, 05:10:41 PM »
Hi Igor, thanks for the suggestion.  I just looked in the folder, and searched for *.tmp on the whole drive.  No such luck!
Isn't it hidden?
To unhide them, open any folder and go to Tools >folder options > View, then scroll down to where it says 'Hidden files and folders' and then check/tick the 'Show hidden files and folders'.
The best things in life are free.

madrilenyo

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 12:23:23 PM »

Isn't it hidden?
To unhide them, open any folder and go to Tools >folder options > View, then scroll down to where it says 'Hidden files and folders' and then check/tick the 'Show hidden files and folders'.
[/quote]
Hi Tech, thank you for the suggestion, but I had already checked that.