Author Topic: Should I delete?  (Read 6892 times)

ifihadonechance

Should I delete?
« on: May 22, 2007, 09:22:58 AM »
Hi Guys.

I used to have spybot - search and destroy and had a few bad spyware. I fixed them, according to spy bot.

I uninstalled spybot and you know how when you scan you computer with avast, when you finish avast shows a whole lot of things they can't scan? Most of them are spy bot because it is password protected. I know where they are located but is it safe to get rid of them?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 09:24:50 AM by Josh C »

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
Re: Should I delete?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 09:55:39 AM »
Hi Josh,

Yes, you can safely delete the Spybot folder and everything in it.
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 04:06:02 AM »
Frank answered your question, but I want to do one for you: why did you uninstall Spybot?
The best things in life are free.

ifihadonechance

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 04:56:27 AM »
Frank answered your question, but I want to do one for you: why did you uninstall Spybot?

Because a worm went to my computer using spy bot. So now I dont want spybot.  :-\

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 05:10:19 AM »
SpyBot is clean. The worm could have passed its protection.
Well, there is not a perfect software. At least, try one antispyware on-demand in your computer.
I suggest you download, install, update and run AVG Antispyware. Some users recommend SUPERantispyware, Spyware Terminator and/or a-squared (take care about false positives).
If any infection is detected, better and safer is send the file to Quarantine than to simple delete than.
The best things in life are free.

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 09:25:34 AM »
Spybot is more of an anti-spyware/anti-malware program- it can't really be expected to protect against worms.

Did you have the Teatime feature enabled? Did this feature tell you about registry changes made by the worm? Did you accept or deny these changes?

Spybot has no resident protection apart from this (optional) feature. Your AV should really be intercepting worms.
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog