Author Topic: Freezes with Definitions Update  (Read 32121 times)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:Freezes with Definitions Update
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2004, 02:39:57 PM »
Such a freeze would be OK.

Obvious question - did you enter the registry thing correctly, and have you rebooted since entering it?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Jeccu

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2004, 04:15:34 PM »
I've done all the above, and got the update.  This did lead to the freeze, but it is not a total freeze.  I can move the cursor around, but not do anything else.  Trying the start menu, or launching an application does nothing.

Sounds like a problem that I had a week ago except that in my case this happened in user account only (not admin).
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=2715

I solved my problem few days ago. I think the problem was c:\windows\temp directory where avast! saves/deletes some temporary files during the definition update. As a user I didn't have enough rights to this directory (I was even unable to view the content of it). I solved this by moving the XP's temp directory to the shared folder. After that I've had no problems.
Anyway, in your case it must be something else if updating didn't work in admin account.

-- Jeccu --

« Last Edit: February 22, 2004, 04:48:32 PM by Jeccu »

Tom McCune

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2004, 07:22:05 PM »
Such a freeze would be OK.

Obvious question - did you enter the registry thing correctly, and have you rebooted since entering it?

Thanks
Vlk

Yes I did all changes as stated, with double and triple checking everything.   I've done multiple reboots.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2004, 07:24:03 PM »
Is your keyboard connected via USB?

Tom McCune

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2004, 07:33:42 PM »

Sounds like a problem that I had a week ago except that in my case this happened in user account only (not admin).
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=2715

I solved my problem few days ago. I think the problem was c:\windows\temp directory where avast! saves/deletes some temporary files during the definition update. As a user I didn't have enough rights to this directory (I was even unable to view the content of it). I solved this by moving the XP's temp directory to the shared folder. After that I've had no problems.
Anyway, in your case it must be something else if updating didn't work in admin account.

-- Jeccu --

I had originally installed from an admin acct, and the problem was in my limited user account that I normally use.  I have since changed my limited user account to an admin account, where the problem remains.  I'm wondering if I should consider uninstalling, and then reinstalling from this account while it is still an admin account, and see if this resolves the problem.  And if so, they seeing what happens when it goes back to a limited user account.

Tom McCune

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2004, 07:36:40 PM »
Is your keyboard connected via USB?

This is a laptop, with no external connections, unless you count the WiFi card.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2004, 07:49:06 PM »
Laptop? Which brand? I'm asking because it might be a bit more difficult to press the ScrollLock key on a non-101 key keyboard. Have you tried it with the Fn key down?

Tom McCune

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2004, 09:26:55 PM »
I apologize for frustration this may cause.  I decided that rather than trying again, and perhaps stumbling onto the answer of key combination to do the dump, and then sending my RAM contents that I don't really feel comfortable with sending, I tried a reinstall.  The reinstall didn't really go well, and I think I've just spent way too much time on this for now.  

I really like Avast on my desktops and will continue with it there, but have for now returned to what was working well for me with this laptop.  I do appreciate all the help, and hope you can understand my decision to move on for now.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2004, 09:40:43 PM »
Well, no problem, I understand and respect your decision... :-\

Thanks for your time
Vlk

Tom McCune

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2004, 12:16:15 AM »
I appear to have found the problem.  I deactivated PGP's auto wipe on delete option, reinstalled Avast a couple days ago, have done updates including today's, and all has been problem free.  When I was using NAV, that PGP option gave me difficulty with some file deletions, leading me to think it might be a similar complication with Avast.  BTW, AVG has no problem with that option.

I decided to try again after seeing how difficult it is with AVG to simply delete an email received in Pegasus that has the Netsky attached, and having seen how easy it was with Avast on my desktop.  Since I receive that on a daily basis, the inconvenience was significant.  

An issue with Avast, is that I can't do email scanning with it, since it won't allow me to send email out through my RoadRunner SMTP server as being from my mccune.cc email address.  This is even when just setting it for incoming scanning.

drahnier

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2004, 12:11:30 PM »
fwiw:

on ony of the systems i administer - xp pro german with avast!4 german - these freezes have happened three times in arow now. - waiting for the next iavs update ...

drahnier

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2004, 12:25:06 PM »
fwiw:

on ony of the systems i administer - xp pro german with avast!4 german - these freezes have happened three times in arow now. - waiting for the next iavs update ...

what permissions are rewuired for avast! in %systemroot%temp?

Jeccu

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2004, 02:22:49 PM »
I have to admit I was wrong.

This problem seems to have nothing to do with c:\windows\temp directory. I still have the same problem. I didn't know this because I was using avast with "Ask when update is available" setting for a while (it works just fine). Now I'm using the setting "Automatic" and administrator account and my computer has freezed three times a row also.
I don't know anymore. I've tried almost everything. Maybe it's related to XP's language version somehow...? I'm using a finnish version of XP Home.

-- Jeccu --

drahnier

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2004, 04:36:11 PM »
I don't know anymore. I've tried almost everything. Maybe it's related to XP's language version somehow...? I'm using a finnish version of XP Home.

Mh. I have three machines here. Two with English OS and English avast and one with German OS and German avast. The problem only occurs on the "German" machine.

Jeccu

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2004, 09:24:46 PM »
Hmmm. Very interesting... I was just informed that my mother-in-law's computer does the same thing, hangs after automatic update. She also has a finnish version of XP Home and avast Home.

So, the question is: Is there anyone at this forum who is using other than english version of XP and avast with automatic update setting? Does it work?

-- Jeccu --