Poll

How many Viruses have you had in the past year?

None!
13 (65%)
Once. Only Once.
1 (5%)
Twice   :|
2 (10%)
Three times  :(
2 (10%)
Four or more......
2 (10%)
What are Viruses ;)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Spyware Terminator Compatable with avast!?  (Read 15335 times)

ifihadonechance

Spyware Terminator Compatable with avast!?
« on: May 27, 2007, 11:05:31 PM »
is Spyware Terminator Compatable with avast!?

Sorry if I'm posting too many Topics. I'm sorry  :(

ifihadonechance

Re: Spyware Terminator Compatable with avast!?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 11:25:53 PM »

Sorry if I'm posting too many Topics. I'm sorry  :(

Yes it is.

Spyware terminator found 4 problems that avast didn't... :(

1. Invalid Startup Items : HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run MsnMsgr="C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background

2.  Invalid Startup Items : HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run BgMonitor_{79662E04-7C6C-4d9f-84C7-88D8A56B10AA}="C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMBgMonitor.exe"

3. Trojan/WinPro-V.32 : C:\Program Files\deskbar\

4. Adware CDN : C:\Documents and Settings\Arthur\Local Settings\Temp\.\setup.exe
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 04:57:03 AM by -- Joshua -- »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 11:49:58 PM »
Start-up entries aren't necessarily trojans, if they were I would also expect ST to also detect the actual file and not just the registry entry for 1 and 2.

Re item 2. http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/nmbgmonitor/.

I don't use msn messenger but I would have doubts about item 1. being an invalid startup item.

Item 3 seems incomplete as it isn't showing a file name only a folder ?

You could also check the offending/suspect file/s (items 1, 2, 4) at: VirusTotal - Multi engine on-line virus scanner I feel virustotal is the better option as it uses the windows version of avast (more packers supported) and there are currently 32 different scanners.
Or Jotti - Multi engine on-line virus scanner if any other scanners here detect them it is less likely to be a false positive. Report the findings here.

avast doesn't scan for registry entries, nor is is an anti adware application although it does detect some adware. Since item three doesn't have a file name we can't say what it is or if avast would detect it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 12:17:07 AM »
Yes, it is. Even with the ClamWin (antivirus) integration.
But it could take that much resources, so I suggest - if you don't browse dangerously - to use it only for on-demand scannings, not resident.
The best things in life are free.

GrahamE

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 01:05:41 AM »
Start-up entries aren't necessarily trojans, if they were I would also expect ST to also detect the actual file and not just the registry entry for 1 and 2.

The first time I scanned with Spyware Terminator, it named the startup entry for my adsl modem as invalid. It's possible that it lists any startup entries it isn't aware of as suspicious, or invalid.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 01:36:44 AM »
Possibly, of all 4 items, the only one I have any confidence in of being possibly a good detection is item 4. and that primarily is because of the /./ folder name.

So you should fully check out them all at VT or Jotti, item 3 being impossible to check as there is no file name listed.

I have to admit I wasn't too impressed with Spyware Terminator during the very short time I had it installed and this wasn't because of detections, but interface and settings/options, etc.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 03:13:30 AM »
Last year I ditched Spyware Terminator & AdAware SE because of too many false positives.

I've been back with Spyware Terminator for a month or so and I'm very happy with it.  No more false positives & no infections.  I used Windows Defender for the time I was without ST & it did a good job, but ST does a better job!  All my scanners (real-time & on-demand) show no infection, not even any spyware cookies.  No start up false positives.  My system is just clean.

Here is my security set up (I don't credit ST alone): http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=28395.msg232329#msg232329

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007, 03:43:19 AM »
I have to admit I wasn't too impressed with Spyware Terminator during the very short time I had it installed and this wasn't because of detections, but interface and settings/options, etc.
It's improving and becoming better all the time. People is working hard. Updates (even the program ones) are very often. You should test it again... you won't regret having it as a second, non-resident, scanner 8)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2007, 03:28:04 PM »
It's improving and becoming better all the time. People is working hard. Updates (even the program ones) are very often. You should test it again... you won't regret having it as a second, non-resident, scanner 8)

It really isn't all that long ago that I tried it, as I'm happy with my existing set-up I will wait even further development.

Last year I ditched Spyware Terminator & AdAware SE because of too many false positives.

I've been back with Spyware Terminator for a month or so and I'm very happy with it.  No more false positives & no infections. 
<snip>

I'm currently waiting a response in the Lavasoftsupport.com forum, to two possible false positive detections (although Low classifications) for registry entries, to date it has been three days and not a single response. I have only ever had one other FP with adaware and that was resolved quickly as it was more serious.

But two of the four detections -- Joshua -- is reporting look like FPs, one has insufficient information to make any judgement and only one which I think is most likely a good detection, so I think it might be a little premature to say "No more false positives" for Spyware Terminator.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2007, 07:55:27 PM »
I think it might be a little premature to say "No more false positives" for Spyware Terminator.
Sure... not a software is perfect.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2007, 12:16:14 AM »

I think it might be a little premature to say "No more false positives" for Spyware Terminator.

I was referring to my experience with Spyware Terminator.  I don't know what -- Joshua -- has starting up, but it obviously isn't all the same as I have starting up.  Due to me not having anymore false positives from ST, ST has improved in that area. :)

It is needless for me to say it is improbable no two people have the identical program list.  As you well know some set ups have problems with some programs that others don't.  I'm fortunate that I have little incompatibility.

Use what works best for your system & meets your needs. :)

Offline sooners2win

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2009, 06:59:24 AM »
I installed ST, i have ran a few scans and found nothing.....which I find odd, there is spyware everytime you get off web????

I didn't really care for superantispyware though......any other suggestions?

It also just now said i was not protected, said i had no av and ask me to install ClamAV for free...WTF
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 07:09:07 AM by sooners2win »
a6750f, amd phenom 9650quad core processor 2.30Ghz, Ram 8GB, Microsoft Vista Home Premium 64-bit SP2,Avast7 Free,Comodo Firewall, Malwarebytes, Superantispyware, Ccleaner, FF3.6.14,Google Chrome.

pete319

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2009, 01:04:48 PM »
I installed ST, i have ran a few scans and found nothing.....which I find odd, there is spyware everytime you get off web????

It also just now said i was not protected, said i had no av and ask me to install ClamAV for free...WTF

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a good program
Paid version gives real time protection
Free version on-demand scanning only
For more details visit: http://www.malwarebytes.org
/index.php

Also i posted to no virus infections on the above poll, even so i did have a false positive didn't count it though.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 01:07:09 PM by pete319 »

brockey01

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2009, 08:05:52 PM »

Are you talking about Windows Security Center or the popup that Spyware terminator has? if its ST's just ignore it because they added a while back. theres a box that you can check that says do not show again.

there next verison will have full x64 driver, game mode to suppress popups of realtime/hips. and the system tray icon for ST will let the user know what it is doing now, IE: scanning,updating,etc

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2009, 01:58:04 AM »
I installed ST, i have ran a few scans and found nothing.....which I find odd, there is spyware everytime you get off web? ???
I find this comment perplexing.
I expect to find no malware during a scan, and am surprised if anything is detected, by any scanner. (Now and again I see the odd item blocked by Avast, and the firewall and hosts file obviously keep stuff out.)

If, to you, "spyware" = "cookies", that would be normal. Cookies are a minor privacy issue, can be easily deleted without special tools, and are not really spyware. A user would undoubtedly pick up several durin any browsing session.
I always clean them, as part of a routine, but they are no big deal.

If, on the other hand, you really are experiencing spyware after every browsing session, something is seriously wrong.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.