Author Topic: Running Avast! and Norton together  (Read 13723 times)

possible248

Running Avast! and Norton together
« on: May 28, 2007, 04:36:16 PM »
I want to run Avast! and Norton together. I understand that you can't run both at the same time,
but I don't want to uninstall Norton as I'm only "trying out" Avast!. Can't I disable Norton somehow and let Avast! continue with its work without it having to disable any features?

I hope I can and I would appreciate an answer.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Running Avast! and Norton together
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 04:48:55 PM »
Norton is possibly the worst AV to try and run with another and there numerous topics in these forums of conflict problem even when it is supposedly uninstalled with the remnants that remain.

Having two resident scanners installed is not recommended (whether that be NAV or another)as rather than provide twice the protection it can cause conflicts that could leave you more vulnerable.

So it isn't just not running at the same time as Norton gets very deeply embedded into the system and conflicts can arise from Virtual Device drivers in Legacy registry keys.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

possible248

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 05:00:51 PM »
I understand that having two resident scanners is not recommended. I've also seen some of
those other threads.My question was that was there a way for me to temporarily disable Norton.

Judging from your reply, there isn't a way to disable Norton as it get so embedded in the system.
I guess that if I cannot uninstall Norton to just "try" Avast!, that means that I can't use Avast!
as long as Norton has to be on the system for me to use in case Avast! doesn't work out.

Thank you for your quick reply and I really appreciate your answer, although I do wish that
I could try Avast! with still having Norton, but having it disabled.

tsilo

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 05:17:23 PM »
If you want reformatt your machine do it  ;D no problem

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 05:45:41 PM »
Can't I disable Norton somehow and let Avast! continue with its work without it having to disable any features?
No. There isn't such an option.

If you want to use avast and the free Symantec on-demand scanner that comes with Google Pack, go ahead. They work together fine 8)
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 06:19:24 PM »
<snip>
Judging from your reply, there isn't a way to disable Norton as it get so embedded in the system.
I guess that if I cannot uninstall Norton to just "try" Avast!, that means that I can't use Avast!
as long as Norton has to be on the system for me to use in case Avast! doesn't work out.

Thank you for your quick reply and I really appreciate your answer, although I do wish that
I could try Avast! with still having Norton, but having it disabled.

That is correct not whilst you still have NAV installed.

You can uninstall NAV, reboot and try avast, but if you can't do that then installing avast would be pointless. On occasion it may be required that you may have to use the NAV removal tool if thee are any remnants of the NAV uninstall left.

If avast finds any elements of Norton it will usually disable some of its processes to avoid a conflict and if that happened your evaluation experience of avast would be of an AV that isn't functioning fully or possibly not at all.

If you were able to either have a dual boot system or a Virtual Machine set-up then you could possibly test avast, but that (dual boot or AM) in itself isn't the simplest of tasks.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 06:35:32 PM »
I think it would be worth the while to uninstall Norton & running the Norton removal tool.  avast is easier on system resources than Norton as well I think avast! is a better anti-virus.   One of my co-workers bought a new laptop & put Norton on it.  Shortly afterwards she got a virus & took it back to Best Buy.  Cost her $50 to clean up.

You can aways put Norton back on you computer.  avast! is easy to remove.  If by chance you get an infection with avast!, free help is available here to get your system cleaned up.  This is the best support forum on the internet!  DavidR is one of the best.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007, 07:27:27 PM »
I think it would be worth the while to uninstall Norton & running the Norton removal tool.  avast is easier on system resources than Norton as well I think avast! is a better anti-virus.
avast worths a try for sure...

You can aways put Norton back on you computer.
I won't do that ;D

avast! is easy to remove.
But when you use it you get a *fanatic* of it against NAV... I mean, you'll love it...

possible248

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 12:51:42 AM »
I see that I really have no choice except to uninstall Norton to even see the full
power of Avast!. I really appreciate your help on this forum.

This is the best support forum on the internet!  DavidR is one of the best.

Yes, from my observation, this is an awesome support forum and to the extent of
my knowledge, DavidR is very smart.

Once again, thank you for your help.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2007, 01:08:48 AM »
The avast support is one of the best I have come across, very responsive, and many avast users giving their time to help other avast users and potential avast users.

Careful you will have me blushing  :-[, not so smart, just been at it for a while, learning from my mistakes ;D

There are many very happy avast users who were Ex NAV users.

Welcome to the forums.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2007, 02:44:36 AM »
There are a lot... me included...

Offline jadinolf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2007, 12:52:26 PM »
There are a lot... me included...
Add me to the list.

I had NAV2005 on three computers. Switched to avast! and threw NAV away.
printed on 100% recycled bytes