Author Topic: Additional features for future avast! versions...  (Read 65935 times)

occultdestroyer

Additional features for future avast! versions...
« on: May 30, 2007, 05:24:16 PM »
These are some of the key features(I think) that could make avast! the NEXT BIG THING if(and only IF) they want to be known as the #1 FREE AV!

1. Anti-rootkit capability - Avira's AntiVir has stepped up ahead of competition for this innovation, giving it away for the Free Edition.

2. Better adware/spyware detection - avast! can detect 33% of in-the-wild spyware! Not bad for an AV software, considering its free! But then again it would be better if it detects at least 70% of spyware. That could be a great compliment for your other anti-spyware programs!

3. Low memory storage for new virus definitions - Unfortunately, this is avast's major weakness. Unlike other freeware AVs, like AVG and AntiVir, it takes up 2x the space on hard disk.

Other than those, avast has no problems. Oh, and for those who wonder why avast's virus definitions are not relative to virus names, it's because they are ENCRYPTED, which is good. Hope somebody out there finds this post useful!   :D

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Additional features for future avast! versions...
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 05:31:54 PM »
3. Low memory storage for new virus definitions - Unfortunately, this is avast's major weakness. Unlike other freeware AVs, like AVG and AntiVir, it takes up 2x the space on hard disk.

That somehow surprises me - how big are the definition files of AVG or AntiVir?
Anyway, I'm quite sure the size of avast! VPS file won't be decreased (on contrary, maybe). But I must say I find it rather funny to call it a "major weakness"  ;D
Today, when many program installers have hundreds of megabytes, new operating systems takes gigabytes of disk space... and a 7MB definition file is a problem? ;)

Offline calcu007

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
  • I'm lamma!
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 05:48:53 PM »
The virus definition space is not a weakness, it can or will increase because everyday there are new viruses. That suggestion don't has sense. It had nothing to do with Avast ability to remove or detect virus
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 05:50:56 AM by calcu007 »
Asus Intel i7 8GB RAM , Win 8.1 64 bit, Avast IS

occultdestroyer

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 11:34:52 AM »
To igor:
That's easy for you to say. Perhaps you have a new OS such as Windows XP/Vista? But for users of old OS(I run Windows ME), it is a problem. The more the bytes, the more the space it takes up and eventually slows whole system performance. I am just clarifying that it is safe to say that avast is good for those users with high-performance OS and processors w/ lots of hard disk space. As for me, I'm sticking with AntiVir because it isn't a system hog like avast. But this does not mean that I am underestimating the capability of avast to detect viruses. According to latest studies, avast was able to detect 85% of in-the-wild viruses while AntiVir was able to detect 91%+. Do your research ifyou don't believe me..

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 02:19:31 PM »
I've used avast in Windows Millenium.

1. It's not a resource hog. On contrary, I even tried it on Windows 95. Which is your Standard Shield protection level: High or Normal? Normal is the best balance between protection and performance.
2. It's not affect the system performance using more disk space. Two things aren't related. You could use Windows Me in a faster computer, with a good (big) HDD.

According to latest studies...
Well... tons of studies are released every day, some of them serious, some biased...
Antivir is a good antivirus, for sure. But I don't think it has the avast configurability and features.
The best things in life are free.

occultdestroyer

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 04:05:03 AM »
Look, I'd really like to upgrade my processor speed and my hard disk drive.. but the problem is I still don't have the money. I've only a blue collar job, working as a repairman in a computer shop. And if I HAD the money, I wouldn't settle for free antivirus software, wouldn't I? There are plenty of excellent paid-for AV products out there, like Kaspersky and NOD32, which beats the rest in the competition.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 04:36:43 AM »
And if I HAD the money, I wouldn't settle for free antivirus software, wouldn't I? There are plenty of excellent paid-for AV products out there, like Kaspersky and NOD32, which beats the rest in the competition.
Yes, you will.
avast is better than a lot of paid antivirus... The worst competitor of the Pro version is the Home free one 8)

mauserme

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 04:55:18 AM »
For sure I'll agree with you on point 1, and partly on point 2.  But the downloadable definition file for avast! = 6.98 mb while Antivir = 14.9 mb compressed.  If the size of avast! definitions is a problem for you then Antivir must be more than twice the problem.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2007, 07:48:10 AM »
Hi occultdestroyer, great to have your input.
...users of old OS(I run Windows ME)...
Based my observations, the term "Windows ME user" could be considered an oxymoron, but back to your main points.

You'd like Avast! to detect more spyware (2.), which would require a larger definition database, but you'd also like "Low memory storage for new virus definitions" (3.), i.e. a smaller definition database. I'm afraid you really can't have all your shopping in one bag and not have that bag be heavy. ;D

Now, as to the relative bloatedness of Avast's definition file, Igor says it's currently 7MB. I don't know about Antivir but AVG's current "u7iavi8354t.bin" is 9,125KB, or about 8.9MB.

Exactly how little RAM do you have? I have a 98SE laptop with 80MB that is hardly slowed by Avast! and even a 95OSR2 desktop with 48MB (which I admit is more a curiosity than for everyday use) that works well enough but does take a really really long time to apply Avast! program updates.
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

occultdestroyer

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2007, 08:40:27 AM »
Ok, I must admit, I think I over-exaggerated on point #3.. The current AntiVir version(w/ the anti-rootkit capability) might have bigger definitions files, but the older versions(AntiVir w/o anti-rootkit) takes up much less space than any other AV freeware. Back then avast was not that popular, and AVG and AntiVir were the only MAJOR competitors in freeware AV. It's no wonder so many patronize AVG and AntiVir.

Anyway, going back to the related issue.. All these points I have stated are just my opinions on how to be the better AV, and we should always look forward to changes. Avast, AVG, and AntiVir all have their own strengths and weaknesses.. but based on editors'/users' reviews and overall experience, AntiVir topples them over.

Avast is still one of the best out there, no doubt about it, but it will never be as good as Kaspersky or NOD32..

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2007, 10:22:52 AM »
but it will never be as good as Kaspersky or NOD32..

always good to know we have occultdestroyer peering into crystall balls and dreaming future dreams in which avast is firmly ranked for all time. Not much help to be had from that quarter then.

tsilo

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2007, 11:44:18 AM »
I think will be good to make Avast! on-demand and realtime scanning speed faster, according latest test it has average speed.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2007, 02:16:47 PM »
But it will never be as good as Kaspersky or NOD32.
You're exaggerating again...
I think avast is better than NOD32 right now.
The detection of Kaspersky is better than avast but I did not try it to know about other features (resources usage, configurability, etc.).
Take care: a biased review is worse than ignorance in my opinion.

mouniernetwork

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2007, 09:47:40 PM »
but it will never be as good as Kaspersky or NOD32..

always good to know we have occultdestroyer peering into crystall balls and dreaming future dreams in which avast is firmly ranked for all time. Not much help to be had from that quarter then.

Well Avast is better than Kaspersky right now, checkout the latest Av-compartives.org test results  ;)

Al968

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2007, 09:55:26 PM »
Colour me confused on the latest av-comparatives May Retrospective tests, whilst avast has Received an Advanced rating, there would appear to be some issues with the bottom line detection percentages and the category awarded.

Some AVs have had a reasonable percentage, yet they have only received a Standard assessment and some with a lower percentage have received a higher assessment 'Advanced' category ???
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security