Author Topic: Additional features for future avast! versions...  (Read 65841 times)

andy214ever

Re: Additional features for future avast! versions...
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2007, 07:26:43 PM »
emm sorry ;)..actually wich AV is the best AV according to the AV comparative???is that NOD32???may i give some opinion,,,,i ever use the KAV 6(kapersky)b4 and the detection is quite good same as what Tech have wrote but avast also with good detection too ;D....and it is more easy to use if compare with KAV6....KAV 6 is quite complicated.......sorry if i had say something that make anyone unhappy....
 :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2007, 07:45:15 PM »
OK :)
After tests, av-comparatives testes Kaspersky 7 too (both AV and IS) and how I see you can't find this result, so there is link http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/ergebnisse/kav7.pdf
On the main page, there is a  Comparatives link and then select the Retrospective/ProActive Test May 2007, Online and that is the one which I have been talking about, the latest av-comparatives test.

@ andy214ever
Best is a very subjective word, what may be best for some might not meet others requirements, system resources, doesn't support their software, etc. so detection rates are only one (an important one yes) category in the overall process of selecting an AV that suits your requirements.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

andy214ever

« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2007, 08:19:33 PM »
ooo...thanks...is there any different between avast home and avast Pro?i means different in detection rate or some kinds else...

mouniernetwork

« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2007, 08:26:45 PM »
ooo...thanks...is there any different between avast home and avast Pro?i means different in detection rate or some kinds else...

No not at all, its the level of configurability and more scanners  :)

Al968

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2007, 09:20:08 PM »
Click here to see the differences between avast Home & Professional versions.

Like al968, Pro version has Script Blocker provider and other configurable features: automatic managing infected files, scheduling for on-demand scannings, Enhanced user interface, etc.
The best things in life are free.

occultdestroyer

« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2007, 09:29:03 AM »
To Tech:
I'm not exaggerating. NOD32 is way better than avast. Get your facts right, please. According to av-comparatives.org, only NOD32 had the highest certification level for Retrospective/ProActive tests with 68% overall. Avast has only 26%!

To al968:
Did you even bother to read the tests? Correct me if I'm wrong, only 6 AV had the highest certification level (AntiVir, AntiVirusKit had the highest overall, eScan, F-Secure, Kaspersky w/c I think is better than AntiVirusKit, and TrustPort AV)

occultdestroyer

« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2007, 09:46:36 AM »

Best is a very subjective word, what may be best for some might not meet others requirements, system resources, doesn't support their software, etc. so detection rates are only one (an important one yes) category in the overall process of selecting an AV that suits your requirements.

I agree with that. That's the reason why I decided to post this.....post. Anyway, even as technology continues to progress, people who do not have the money are not capable to follow with the times. That's why I'm still stuck here with my Windows ME... my hard disk space is a mere 27GB(lower than iPod video) and 128MB RAM. It would be better if avast updates with smaller bytes for definitions files without obstructing it's ability to detect the viruses. Everday it updates my CPU and slows it to a crawl, causing CPU freeze, etc.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2007, 12:18:06 PM »
I'm not exaggerating. NOD32 is way better than avast. Get your facts right, please. According to av-comparatives.org, only NOD32 had the highest certification level for Retrospective/ProActive tests with 68% overall. Avast has only 26%!

First, you can't base your opinion just on one test. For example, in the recent AV-Test.org test, NOD was way below avast!, if I remember correctly. Second, the latest av-comparatives.org test was pro-active - i.e. something very artificial; the normal user won't use 3 months old virus signatures, right? So, it's an interesting test, but certainly not the one to base your opinion about real detection capabilities on.

It would be better if avast updates with smaller bytes for definitions files without obstructing it's ability to detect the viruses.

Sorry, but we can't affect the number of appearing viruses. So my guess is that the number/size of updates will more likely grow in future, not the oposite.

tsilo

« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2007, 12:43:20 PM »
I think say that Avast! is better that NOD32 it's not true. It's because NOD32 durring long times have:

1. self defence, Avast! haven't.

2. Heuristic detection, Avast! have poor heuristic or generic detection, we all know that 26% it's not a good result.

3. Ability detect rootkits, according these test Avast! have very poor detection of polimorphic viruses.

4. Speed, NOD32 on-demand and realtime speed is super fast, while Avast! speed is average.

When Avast! will have these abilitys we may can say Avast! is better than NOD32 :) and according av-comparatives NOD32 is best product of 2006, it always get advaced+ ( Avast! very rarely, I don't remember such case  ??? ). So, Alwil must work harder to make Avast! better than NOD32!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 12:49:40 PM by tsilo »

mouniernetwork

« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2007, 02:09:01 PM »
I think say that Avast! is better that NOD32 it's not true. It's because NOD32 durring long times have:

2. Heuristic detection, Avast! have poor heuristic or generic detection, we all know that 26% it's not a good result.

3. Ability detect rootkits, according these test Avast! have very poor detection of polimorphic viruses.

4. Speed, NOD32 on-demand and realtime speed is super fast, while Avast! speed is average.

When Avast! will have these abilitys we may can say Avast! is better than NOD32 :) and according av-comparatives NOD32 is best product of 2006, it always get advaced+ ( Avast! very rarely, I don't remember such case  ??? ). So, Alwil must work harder to make Avast! better than NOD32!

Well said.

@occultdestroyer
Please can you try to be a little more possitive about this issue.
Please do also note that Antivir for example got a good detection rate but had also a very high number of false possitive  :P

Al968

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2007, 03:07:31 PM »
I think avast is better than NOD32 right now.

I agree... is an expected feature...

Are you using a test with 3 month-old signatures as a definitive argument against detection.
What NOD32 does, a common avast user with virus database updated will get it... Read Igor's post.

I agree, the rootkits will be a very good feature for avast.

I did not remember my tests with NOD32, but on-demand scanning of avast is not fast.

When Avast! will have these abilitys we may can say Avast! is better than NOD32 :)
No.
You're taking *your* features and make *your* statement.
I continue with mine: avast has better support, much better configurability (NOD32 has a poor one as far I remember),  avast updates works better (in my memory of NOD32 usage)...

and according av-comparatives NOD32 is best product of 2006, it always get advaced+ So, Alwil must work harder to make Avast! better than NOD32!
In fact, NOD32 is not free, this is decisive for the comparison...
In fact, NOD32 could *learn* a lot from avast...

tsilo

« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2007, 03:09:55 PM »
Yes, but we talk about NOD32 :) and NOD32 have few FP-s, I think we must take only goo examples  8) and if ESET can make good heuristic with few FP I think Alwil can at last try to do it  ::), I know it's not easy.
About AntiVir I can say that they always work quickly with FP-s and with samples too.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2007, 03:14:46 PM »
Yes, but we talk about NOD32 :) and NOD32 have few FP-s, I think we must take only goo examples  8) and if ESET can make good heuristic with few FP I think Alwil can at last try to do it  ::), I know it's not easy.
They've chosen the 'generic signatures' and not the heuristic modules. Yes, they can try... but the policy seems not to follow the generic detection but the generic signatures...

About AntiVir I can say that they always work quickly with FP-s and with samples too.
It's a pity that it does not work anymore (with an easy way) as a second, non-resident, scanner :'(

tsilo

« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2007, 03:27:59 PM »
About NOD32 support and cofiguration I can say that it's very good, updates too. Only thing is that NOD32 don't have free version...
And are you interesting in what Avast! and NOD32 are equal? :) , it's virus submition, both companys never answer  E-Mail and both need too much time (even never ) add to signatures viruses user send them. In this case AntiVir an Kaspersky are excellent!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2007, 03:55:29 PM »
NOD32 support
Forum?

cofiguration
If you learn to tweak avast deeply, NOD32 configurability is far far far behind...

updates too
Not that bad, but, for me, avast has more configurability in this point too, more available servers (even for free version, not like Antivir and AVG).

Only thing is that NOD32 don't have free version...
Well... isn't it one of the most important things on comparison?

And are you interesting in what Avast! and NOD32 are equal? :) , it's virus submition, both companys never answer E-Mail and both need too much time (even never ) add to signatures viruses user send them. In this case AntiVir an Kaspersky are excellent!
Fully agree.