Author Topic: Additional features for future avast! versions...  (Read 65892 times)

occultdestroyer

Re: Additional features for future avast! versions...
« Reply #60 on: June 05, 2007, 06:42:44 AM »
To alanrf:
Definition of tech-savvy - interest in electronics, disregarding one's capability to buy.
Defintion of tech-heads - people with the know-how about computers and gadgets.

Get the point  8)

tsilo

« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2007, 12:22:43 PM »
If we talk about Avast! features, I want to ask one question: is there any way to speed up Avast! on-demand and realtime scanning?
For me personally is very important how fast AV works.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2007, 02:31:40 PM »
Is there any way to speed up Avast! on-demand and realtime scanning?
Shortly, not. Keeping the same configuration and scanning level, no you can't tweak this. This is how the engine works. If they could make it better, for sure they will do it.
Lowering the number and the type of scanned files, you can.
Changing the open/created/modified files being scanned you can change on-access performance.
The best things in life are free.

tsilo

« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2007, 04:09:21 PM »
But I remember one of the previous versions Avast! was tweaked and on-demand scnanning took little time that usually. It's not possible in future versions? As I remember it was version 4.7.936

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #64 on: June 05, 2007, 05:07:26 PM »
I think that you can be assured that Alwil will want that too, they are unlikely to just do it once but to strive to achieve better performance.

When you ask for something like that in isolation without any information (what sensitivity you run Standard Shield on or settings for on-demand scans or your system specs, RAM, CPU or the data on it or other running applications, etc.) then it is hard to say if it is avast scans that are slow.

avast in its updates have also added more unpackers, so more archive files can be scanned so that is going to have an impact on performance as the additional capability will require more scanning.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2007, 07:11:25 PM »
But I remember one of the previous versions Avast! was tweaked and on-demand scnanning took little time that usually.
I do not remember or this was not possible... can you post a link to this information?

tsilo

« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2007, 07:22:19 PM »
http://www.softpedia.com/progChangelog/Avast-Professional-Edition-Changelog-6457.html

WHAT'S NEW IN VERSION 4.7.936:

* higher performance of the scanning engine (especially on new CPUs) and faster start of the avast! system service on OS boot

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2007, 07:31:25 PM »
There was some optimisation of the scanning engine, however for the most part the major improvement was in the core 2 duo processors as the optimisation took advantage of that processor. I saw only a marginal improvement.

Version 4.7.936
January 12, 2007

* higher performance of the scanning engine (especially on new CPUs) and faster start of the avast! system service on OS boot
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2007, 03:08:43 AM »
http://www.softpedia.com/progChangelog/Avast-Professional-Edition-Changelog-6457.html
WHAT'S NEW IN VERSION 4.7.936:
This is not a *tweak* on the engine, something that the user could do, but, on contrary, improvements on the core of the engine.
These improvements are always possible, but they're not *tweaks* in the common sense of this technical term.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2007, 08:35:06 AM »
occultdestroyer

I admit it, I fell prey to your continuation of this worthless thread and your desire to define the world in your terms.  I confess that, wanting to make this a place of genuine and worthwhile discussion, I gave in and continued to participate in this thread against my better judgment.

Esteemed contributers Tech and DavidR may continue their (in my view misguided) efforts to engage you in rational debate but they are, I suspect, futile and at least this one will appear in this thread no longer.

Enjoy the field under your current identity, you will probably need to change it to play further. 

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #70 on: June 06, 2007, 08:49:06 AM »
If you think that Avast is a resource hog, then you haven't been running Norton.  I ran Norton for years until switching to avast, and i have to say I'm very impressed!

True, so True. There is no way Avast can be called a resource hog. As for detection rate, Besides Avast, I've only used Norton and AVG and Avast beats the both of them.
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #71 on: June 07, 2007, 04:27:13 AM »
Hi alanrf
occultdestroyer
I admit it, I fell prey to your continuation of this worthless thread and your desire to define the world in your terms.  I confess that, wanting to make this a place of genuine and worthwhile discussion, I gave in and continued to participate in this thread against my better judgment.....
I noticed that you had. If a kind moderator moved it to 'General Topics', would that at least slightly ease your suffering?
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

occultdestroyer

« Reply #72 on: June 07, 2007, 03:00:28 PM »
alanrf, don't be such a spoilsport  :P. Anyway, I'd like to recommend another prospect that avast could add for future versions.. adding a "Registry Shield" for the on-access scanner will greatly increase internet security since some malware(tracking cookies) and a few viruses sometimes happen to be hiding in cookies in the temporary folder.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #73 on: June 07, 2007, 03:28:21 PM »
"Registry Shield" could be a feature of the antispyware module, in my opinion.

Tracking cookies would be another thing... but not like the above, that I think is in the same 'line' of the antivirus (antimalware) product, to block 'cookies' could bring us to a suite... We don't like suites, we prefer layered defense, not all the eggs in the same basket. It will be very dependent of the browser used in each system. I won't add this feature to avast antivirus.

occultdestroyer

« Reply #74 on: June 07, 2007, 03:48:35 PM »
Ok........ why'd you even bother making avast detect 33% of spyware in the internet? Since avast is the only AV that I know that started this, why not improve?