Author Topic: Additional features for future avast! versions...  (Read 65572 times)

tsilo

Re: Additional features for future avast! versions...
« Reply #75 on: June 07, 2007, 07:16:33 PM »
Yes will be good to detect more ad/spy, I was surprised when  my Vista's Security Center dont showed me that Avast! do Spyware and other malware protection too  :-\  It mean's Alwil team undetstand that Avast! isn't effective against ad/spy?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #76 on: June 07, 2007, 08:59:23 PM »
Since avast is the only AV that I know that started this, why not improve?
I'm not so sure about this... Symantec detects also, Grisoft has AVG anti-malware (antivirus + antispyware), etc.

It mean's Alwil team undetstand that Avast! isn't effective against ad/spy?
Microsoft Vista Security Center understood that... not Alwil team...
The best things in life are free.

tsilo

« Reply #77 on: June 08, 2007, 12:11:08 AM »
Funny... Microsoft Vista Security Center understood that but Alwil team don't  ;D

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #78 on: June 09, 2007, 04:48:57 PM »
for some reason i believe that Alwil needs to merge / buy someone in similar way like Grisoft took control over Ewido
but i guess it may be way harder than for Grisoft (as they got tons of $ from investors :)

let say combination/merge with application like PrevX2, SSM and A-Squared (Emsisoft) or even Czech team behind Spyware Terminator
each of them got something what Avast! missing in 'overall' security scheme (today AV should go beyond usual AV from past)
and via merge Avast! benefits / enrich + more staff to work together and so on ...
btw. these applications i mentioned as just example, there are more other indie/small projects worth to mention like GMER, etc.

also i really hope the malware analysis process become faster than now (including promised improved submitting system)
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

tsilo

« Reply #79 on: June 09, 2007, 06:00:54 PM »
I think no, will be more effective to research on the net more ad/spy infectionts and add them to signatures. If Alwil will by some AS product, Avast! will became recource hog. AVG is fast AV, but AVG Anti-Malware isn't. Alwil must take example from Avira, I think Antivir is not only best AV product, also best AS product too..

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #80 on: June 10, 2007, 12:08:22 PM »
Avast is an excellent antivirus application. Please don't try to turn it into a Norton.
There are plenty of suites around for those that want them.
Dedicate resources to maintaining Avast's very capable abilities. That might include adding spyware/trojan signatures, with some kind of link for removal techniques if cleaning can not be accomplished by the AV*. But even that isn't necessary; there are some very good spyware/trojan removers available. Some free.
There may be some niches open there that Avast could maybe explore, if the team thought it was worthwhile doing.

* The type of removal/treatment required for trojans, which often load spyware or rogue applications, is quite different from that required for virus/worms. Whole new ball game, really.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

tsilo

« Reply #81 on: June 10, 2007, 01:43:49 PM »
Norton? :)
Did you know that:
1. Norton 2007 detection is better than Avast?
2. Norton have better ad/spy detection, and vista security center recognize it in this component also, Avast! don't
3. Norton have exccellent anti rootkit removal, Avast! don't
4. Norton heuristic works without FP-s.
5. Norton is very light on system resources !!!
6. Norton on-demand scanning time is much faster than Avast!
7. Norton have self-defenc, Avast! don't

I know Avast! is much better configurable, skins etc...but these steps aren't important.
And did you know why Norton 2007 have these abilitys? because every year Symantec improve this product adding new importan  and critical features... but Alwil don't !
I post this not because I don't like Avast! , because people don't sleep, it's time to do something better with more and importan features than current version Avast!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #82 on: June 10, 2007, 02:41:54 PM »
I find your espousing Norton somewhat confusing, in one breath, you say Norton is great and yet in your previous post you talk of avast not becoming a resource hog.

I think no, will be more effective to research on the net more ad/spy infectionts and add them to signatures. If Alwil will by some AS product, Avast! will became recource hog. AVG is fast AV, but AVG Anti-Malware isn't. Alwil must take example from Avira, I think Antivir is not only best AV product, also best AS product too..

Norton is by far one of the greatest resource hogs as is proven many times in these forums by those who have uninstalled it and moved to avast. I can't see that changing in so short a time, one version update and when you add all these additional functions, resources should increase.

You say you don't do this because you don't like avast, but the tone of many of your posts is exactly the same, if you really think nav 2007 is so great then all you have to do is buy it and test if the reality matches the advertising hype that you posted. Or you could try NOD32 or Kaspersky AVG and Antivir that you also think is best throw into posts.

I don't understand all these contradictions if you feel something is best, why aren't you using it, don't bother to explain. I don't make any claims about avast other than it is a good anti-virus that does well in various tests and best is a very subjective word, avast meats my needs/requirements and has worked fine for me for over three years.

You want a lot from your free version of avast, all the functionality of other paid for AV options with no free version. I too want to see avast improve, but I'm not continually bashing it, lets not forget that this is the official 'support' forum for Alwil paying hosting, etc. for your promotion of NAV, etc. I don't bash avast because it doesn't have a dedicated AS or some other function (I don't want avast to become a bloated suite), when I can use an application that meets my needs so I can have what I feel is best for me.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

occultdestroyer

« Reply #83 on: June 10, 2007, 04:35:39 PM »
DavidR, for your information, some of us avast users are also using other AV software. I generally use AntiVir as an OD scanner since my laptop is as old as the Statue of Liberty(Windows ME, 191MB RAM, Pentium 4, and 27GB total hard disk space). And yes, I still don't have the money to buy a new one. But I noticed that CPU usage is lesser with AntiVir compared to avast. I don't know, perhaps the OA scanner?  ??? I'll try switching OA scanners from time to time for analysis . 8)

xivspartanvix

« Reply #84 on: June 11, 2007, 09:57:20 AM »
Just throwing my say into the whole thing, norton has so many problems when uninstalling, and if you have norton sercurity suite, there are viruses and other risks that can and are designed take over norton suite, so then that leaves you where? Only with a vulnerable pc and about 70 dollars in the red. If your like me and you don't have 90MB of your RAM to spare by purchasing norton, you'd go with a smarter choice with avast! antivirus. Just my opinion, :)

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #85 on: June 11, 2007, 11:12:09 AM »
Cripes! Didn't mean to start a Norton-bashing campaign! There's nothing wrong with Norton for those that want to go that way, I'm sure there are many Norton users who are quite satisfied with it.
I intended only to use the name as synonymous with "suite". (A bit like something going wrong is known as a "murphy". Perhaps soon to be a "bush".)
So to be clear, I think Avast is excellent at what it does full stop. No need to try and turn it into something more comprehensive, and with it probably bloated.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #86 on: June 11, 2007, 09:07:02 PM »
Grisoft as they got tons of $ from investors :)
Do you know more about this?

let say combination/merge with application like PrevX2, SSM and A-Squared (Emsisoft) or even Czech team behind Spyware Terminator each of them got something what Avast! missing in 'overall' security scheme (today AV should go beyond usual AV from past)
I follow this... an anti-malware module (registry scan and protection, protection of the hosts file and browser hijacking, etc. would be a good add-on to avast.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #87 on: June 11, 2007, 09:09:28 PM »
If Alwil will by some AS product, Avast! will became recource hog.
Not necessarily... this is not Symantec. We're not suggesting a resource hog or suite. Just improvements on avast protection.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #88 on: June 11, 2007, 09:16:23 PM »
1. Norton 2007 detection is better than Avast?
Not for all kind of infections...

2. Norton have better ad/spy detection, and vista security center recognize it in this component also, Avast! don't
avast has better spyware detection than Norton in recently tests.

3. Norton have exccellent anti rootkit removal, Avast! don't
Maybe. avast does not manage rootkits.

4. Norton heuristic works without FP-s.
avast uses generic detection. Without FP? You won't make me believe Norton is perfect...

5. Norton is very light on system resources !!!
Is this a joke? ???
Norton is a resource hog and it is not as configurable as avast. For sure.

6. Norton on-demand scanning time is much faster than Avast!
Depends of your configuration but, indeed, avast does not have a fast on-demand scanning.

7. Norton have self-defenc, Avast! don't
Indeed. avast will have this feature on next versions.

I know Avast! is much better configurable, skins etc...but these steps aren't important.
In your opinion...

And did you know why Norton 2007 have these abilitys? because every year Symantec improve this product adding new importan  and critical features... but Alwil don't !
avast updates, program updates, are even more frequent than Symantec ones.

I post this not because I don't like Avast! , because people don't sleep, it's time to do something better with more and importan features than current version Avast!
We all want a better product. But, be careful: don't mess your opinions with the truth 8)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #89 on: June 11, 2007, 09:21:33 PM »
Cripes! Didn't mean to start a Norton-bashing campaign!
It's not a campaign... it's the practical experience of tons of ex-Norton users...

So to be clear, I think Avast is excellent at what it does full stop. No need to try and turn it into something more comprehensive, and with it probably bloated.
We don't want bloated-all-in-one-SystemWorks-like-suites... we just want avast better as you want 8)