Author Topic: Additional features for future avast! versions...  (Read 65569 times)

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
Re: Additional features for future avast! versions...
« Reply #90 on: June 12, 2007, 09:00:52 AM »
Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it!
For my requirements, Avast! Home is very good the way it is and while I would be very happy to see improvements in detection rate for all types of malware, shorter response time and faster on-demand scanning, I would not like to see any of these or other "features" introduced if they detracted from Avast's current medium-to-low on-access scanning resource usage level.

As to the Which is the best AV debate......some random thoughts.

Truth:
No software is perfect, there is no (absolute) best, there is only adequate.

Opinion:
It is unwise to use more (or indeed less!) than one resident-scanning AV on your PC. So we each need to choose one.
When choosing, it is problematic to compare free and commercial AV due to fundamental differences in the relationship between the user and the developer/supplier.
E.g. Norton AV vs Avast! Pro = fair choice, however Norton AV vs Avast Home = apples with oranges.

Devo sang; "Freedom of choice, is what you got", but generally, exercising choice is something we human beings are not very good at (which is why advertising is an "industry" rather than just a bureau for the publication and dissemination of product specifications), but we will nevertheless make a choice as best we can, given the rational, emotional, intuitive, aesthetic and other faculties at our disposal.
And if having made our choice, we discover that another human being who's found themselves in roughly the same circumstance, has chosen differently.......you know the rest.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 09:09:00 AM by Vladimyr »
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #91 on: June 16, 2007, 02:47:59 PM »
Grisoft as they got tons of $ from investors :)
Do you know more about this?

let say combination/merge with application like PrevX2, SSM and A-Squared (Emsisoft) or even Czech team behind Spyware Terminator each of them got something what Avast! missing in 'overall' security scheme (today AV should go beyond usual AV from past)
I follow this... an anti-malware module (registry scan and protection, protection of the hosts file and browser hijacking, etc. would be a good add-on to avast.

i'm sure You know already that Intel Capital invested 16 millions USD into Grisoft in Summer 2005
and i remember correct there one more large venture capital investment into Grisoft in past 2y

---

what i wonder ... after reading some of answers in this forum ... why people fear Avast! to implement more features (let say scanning shields/modules) ...
that it become bloated and slower ?

how so IF You can disable them, i mean i would prefer to get these features, options and detections as optional part of Avast!

ofc before that happen , i would like to see something change in process of newly submitted stuff (7-30 days to add some samples is weird)
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #92 on: June 17, 2007, 11:46:52 PM »
what i wonder ... after reading some of answers in this forum ... why people fear Avast! to implement more features (let say scanning shields/modules) ... that it become bloated and slower ?
If modules are firewall, etc. they will bloat avast.
If modules are an antispyware module, rootkit scanning, etc., I think it will make avast better.
Just my opinion.

how so IF You can disable them, i mean i would prefer to get these features, options and detections as optional part of Avast!
Nowadays you can: prevent installation or disable the modules after being installed. The scheme seems perfect.

ofc before that happen , i would like to see something change in process of newly submitted stuff (7-30 days to add some samples is weird)
I think this is not related to the software itself but with the company reliable.
The best things in life are free.

occultdestroyer

« Reply #93 on: June 23, 2007, 01:16:16 PM »
Ok! I've just finished thoroughly analyzing Avast and AntiVir  8). Sorry fro the late update  ;D
Both have almost identical low CPU usage, but avast technically uses more kernel modules. In regards to detection rate(rootkit detection excluded), AntiVir outperformed avast in a slight marginal rate. But auto-updating is quite slow with AntiVir, perhaps because of rootkits definitions. AntiVir definitions also take up more hard disk space than Avast(another plus point for Avast  :))

I also had the time to download another free AV software: AOL Active Virus Shield.
It does not have the anti-spyware ability of Avast, but virus detection rate is better since it is powered by a stripped-down version of the latest Kaspersky AV engine. It also has a real-time scanner and a "Mail Anti-Virus" very similar to Avast's Mail Shield module.
It is very light in resources and does not hog the system down. Practically a good substitute AV for both avast and AntiVir users.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #94 on: June 23, 2007, 02:07:00 PM »
It's a pity that neither Antivir nor Active Virus Shield could be used as a second, non-resident, antivirus side-by-side with avast (resident).

mouniernetwork

« Reply #95 on: June 23, 2007, 04:49:50 PM »
Any ideas why doesn't Avast doesn't allow stock markets to sell its share ?
It could raise some money needed for more staff  :)

Al968

morab

« Reply #96 on: June 23, 2007, 10:16:39 PM »
I would like to spend some money to  ::)

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #97 on: June 25, 2007, 06:08:45 AM »
It's a pity that neither Antivir nor Active Virus Shield could be used as a second, non-resident, antivirus side-by-side with avast (resident).

....there's always the old KAV for DOS (see screenshot). AFAIK it's still being updated.  ;D

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #98 on: June 25, 2007, 06:20:44 AM »
Ok! I've just finished thoroughly analyzing Avast and AntiVir  8). Sorry fro the late update  ;D
Both have almost identical low CPU usage, but avast technically uses more kernel modules. In regards to detection rate(rootkit detection excluded), AntiVir outperformed avast in a slight marginal rate. But auto-updating is quite slow with AntiVir, perhaps because of rootkits definitions. AntiVir definitions also take up more hard disk space than Avast(another plus point for Avast  :))

I also had the time to download another free AV software: AOL Active Virus Shield.
It does not have the anti-spyware ability of Avast, but virus detection rate is better since it is powered by a stripped-down version of the latest Kaspersky AV engine. It also has a real-time scanner and a "Mail Anti-Virus" very similar to Avast's Mail Shield module.
It is very light in resources and does not hog the system down. Practically a good substitute AV for both avast and AntiVir users.

As part of an evaluation exercise, I recently compared time taken to run 'OpenOffice.org Writer' from fresh boot with various AV. PC was Celeron 850mhz, 256MB RAM.
Comodo AV 2.0 Beta, 103 seconds
PC Tools AV 3.1, 40 seconds
Spyware Terminator with CLAMAV plugin, 37 seconds
Avast! 4.7 , 33 seconds
CA Antivirus 8.4, 29 seconds
AVG (Antivirus) 7.5 , 27 seconds
AOL Active Virus Shield, 26 seconds
Avira PEC, 25 seconds
NO AV installed, 20 seconds

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #99 on: June 25, 2007, 08:16:27 PM »

....there's always the old KAV for DOS (see screenshot). AFAIK it's still being updated.  ;D
Where did you find it... I've dig into its website and found nothing... http://www.kaspersky.com/sitemap
Nothing in Google (first results) either... Can you post a link to download?

Here the staff says there is no more Kaspersky for DOS: http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=1419

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #100 on: June 26, 2007, 04:31:49 AM »
Here the staff says there is no more Kaspersky for DOS: http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=1419

Hi Tech

Sometime last year I got KAVDOS downloader/installer/updater/scanner for use in NT/XP from Art Kopp's website, but from a quick look at his current home page (http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg) I don't think he is making it available any more. I also have his earlier F-Prot for DOS package.

WGet is used to download the program and definitions. Screenshot KAVDOS_FTP.JPG shows source address.

The installer is "KAVDOSNT.EXE", 612KB.  Let me know if/how you want me to send it to you.  :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #101 on: June 26, 2007, 05:59:21 AM »
WGet is used to download the program and definitions. Screenshot KAVDOS_FTP.JPG shows source address.
The installer is "KAVDOSNT.EXE", 612KB.  Let me know if/how you want me to send it to you.  :)
I've sent you a PM. Thanks.

Pk77

« Reply #102 on: June 27, 2007, 01:01:30 AM »
Norton? :)
Did you know that:
1. Norton 2007 detection is better than Avast?
2. Norton have better ad/spy detection, and vista security center recognize it in this component also, Avast! don't
3. Norton have exccellent anti rootkit removal, Avast! don't
4. Norton heuristic works without FP-s.
5. Norton is very light on system resources !!!
6. Norton on-demand scanning time is much faster than Avast!
7. Norton have self-defenc, Avast! don't

I know Avast! is much better configurable, skins etc...but these steps aren't important.
And did you know why Norton 2007 have these abilitys? because every year Symantec improve this product adding new importan  and critical features... but Alwil don't !
I post this not because I don't like Avast! , because people don't sleep, it's time to do something better with more and importan features than current version Avast!

Use Norton if you think so, i continue thinking that Avast is a better product in many aspect and i never get a virus in my 2 pc's.
I think it's more important the numebr of updates, the flexibility and configuaration tools that the pro version offer.

carioca

« Reply #103 on: June 27, 2007, 02:39:05 AM »
 ;D
Hi! we could say for the next avast features to be the number one:"Avast Antivirus 4.7 Professional edition lacks important tools found in other antivirus products, such as antirootkit protection, antispyware, and antiphishing protection."

These are some of the key features(I think) that could make avast! the NEXT BIG THING if(and only IF) they want to be known as the #1 FREE AV!

1. Anti-rootkit capability - Avira's AntiVir has stepped up ahead of competition for this innovation, giving it away for the Free Edition.

2. Better adware/spyware detection - avast! can detect 33% of in-the-wild spyware! Not bad for an AV software, considering its free! But then again it would be better if it detects at least 70% of spyware. That could be a great compliment for your other anti-spyware programs!

3. Low memory storage for new virus definitions - Unfortunately, this is avast's major weakness. Unlike other freeware AVs, like AVG and AntiVir, it takes up 2x the space on hard disk.

Other than those, avast has no problems. Oh, and for those who wonder why avast's virus definitions are not relative to virus names, it's because they are ENCRYPTED, which is good. Hope somebody out there finds this post useful!   :D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #104 on: June 27, 2007, 03:58:29 AM »
Hi! we could say for the next avast features to be the number one:"Avast Antivirus 4.7 Professional edition lacks important tools found in other antivirus products, such as antirootkit protection, antispyware, and antiphishing protection."
It would be good improvements indeed.