Author Topic: Problems with Avast and Wireless Internet  (Read 4506 times)

suite_pee39

Problems with Avast and Wireless Internet
« on: June 03, 2007, 10:40:25 AM »
Hello Everyone,

I just bought a new laptop on Thursday and with it came a free wireless router. Now setting up the wireless router...lets just say they should've paid me the 80 dollars it is worth seeing I had to go through 2 days worth of stuff in order to get on the internet. After being on hold for hours, I was finally able to establish a network connection with my laptop. It is equipped with Windows Vista and I have already downloaded the version of avast that is suitable for Vista. Now, the thing that puzzles me is why my internet has suddenly stopped working. I go online and the window reads: "Internet explorer cannot display the webpage." My Windows Firewall is currently off, the Toshiba representative made sure of that, and now I am completely lost as to what to do in order to have both avast and a wireless connection with my laptop. Please help me for I am truly frustrated. Thanks in advance.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Problems with Avast and Wireless Internet
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 04:13:43 PM »
If you disable avast WebShield, will you be able to browse the Internet?
The best things in life are free.

suite_pee39

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 08:25:35 PM »
how do you exactly do that?

drhayden1

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 08:56:13 PM »
Right click the avast (a) icon in the taskbar.
Choose "On-Access Protection Control"
click on details tab
click on web shield and click on the tab that's says terminate :)
click on pic to enlarge ::)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 09:01:09 PM by drhayden1 »

neal62

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 09:22:59 PM »
You say "Now" etc... Do you still have a established "Network Connection" for your laptop via the wireless method?

suite_pee39

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 07:15:49 AM »
now was meant to be used as a segway lol. i have the wireless connection set up. its just that for some reason when i downloaded avast, i wasnt able to get on the internet. when i uninstall avast..everything is fine so i have no idea whats going on. the avast icon isnt even in the place where the time is and all the other icons..hmm is this normal?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 03:46:27 PM »
Did you try what was suggested by Tech about web shield ?
What is your firewall ? Does it allow ashWebSv.exe internet access ?
- If it does delete the entries for them and do a manual update and reconnect to the internet, this will force the firewall to ask permission again.

Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

The icon being missing is most certainly not normal and may be a symptom of an underlying problem.

avast! icon missing - As a temporary measure until this is resolved you can create a desktop shortcut for this file C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashDisp.exe (the avast icon and interface to the providers).  Right click on the file and select Send To, Desktop (create shortcut). You will need to run this after each boot until the problem is resolved.

What other security based software do you have that might block new startup entries, e.g. Spybot S&D (TeaTimer), AdAware (AdWatch), SpySweeper, Spyware Doctor (StartUpGuard or OnGuard), PrevX, WinPatrol, ProcessGuard, etc. ?

Check the option in the Appearance tab of Program Settings. Or Make a link to ashdisp.exe in your startup folder.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

suite_pee39

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2007, 11:07:54 PM »
hello again :D just wanted to thank everybody who helped me. im actually typing from my laptop as we speak! whoooo hoo im so happy the internet works now. but i do have another question...since i turned off WebShield..doesn't this mean that my internet will not be protected by Avast? I'm only assuming...could someone please clarify this for me?  ???

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2007, 12:37:36 AM »
Not completely, the web shield intercepts traffic before it gets into your browser cache/hard disk, without it the scan newly created/modified files option of the standard should scan files as they arrive on your HDD.

Depending on the settings of the standard shield, Customize, Scanner Advanced, see image, the Red Line shows the area of interest and the Red arrow, if that was checked every downloaded file would be scanned. I suggest a browse of the avast help file.

However, disabling the web shield I would say is removing a symptom of the underlying problem, which we haven't established.

Can you answer the other questions please.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security