Author Topic: Avast has no right downloading itself in a windows update.  (Read 1636 times)

Offline bayonetta14.1974

Avast has no right downloading itself in a windows update.
« on: July 01, 2021, 08:19:37 PM »
Hi sorry if this is in the wrong place mabay someone can move this to the right place.

I am just writing to say that I hate this stinking company with every fibre of my being. To say I am furious with them in an understatement.

Reason I despise them with a passion is that they have no blooming right downloading themselves on a Windows update.

A few weeks back I did one of my usual (I have my Windows 10 PC set to automatic update) updates and when it finished updating I found this stinking virus called Avast Antivirus had downloaded itself onto my PC.

So I tried to ignore it because I wasn't sure it could be uninstalled but after several weeks of constant pop-ups and it opening irtself up I looked online last week to see if it could be uninstalled and imagine my joy when I saw that IObit Uninstaller (which I have had installed for a few years) would get rid of it. I unstalled that garbage Avast as fast as possible.

I have no idea what that virus that calls itself Avast does nor do I care. Never looked at it once because in my eyes it was a virus that dowloaded itself without my permission.

Avast have no blooming right downloading itself without asking for my permission first. Doing that makes them in my eyes one of the biggest viruses going. I know why they do it as it is the only way they are going to get people to use this stinking garbage.

Oh in case you are wondering for anti-virus programmes I use Norton 360 Premium and IObit Malware Fighter (free version)

Offline tyler01

• tyler4402
Re: Avast has no right downloading itself in a windows update.
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2021, 08:53:26 PM »
Avast is not a virus, it is a very good anti virus, but I agree with you nothing should be secreted onto your PC without your agreement, it sounds like the update you are using has added Avast to your PC may be as a free trial or as usually its called a PUP.
I have used Avast (Free version) for more than 12 yrs, unfortunately, the company was sold and now most disreputably the popups have started and they are a flaming nuisance, if you actually pay for the program there are about 7 other extras you could also pay for or you will get the dreaded popups.
My point is the internet was made for the people, and not to  be commandeered by the likes of M'soft Google and Amazon so the regulators whoever they are should make international law make secreting anything onto your PC from a nasty virus to a free trial PUP illegal, with very high penalties to suit   
Robert

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2021, 11:47:30 PM »
Avast doesn't install itself. Especially not with a Windows update.
There may be some programs that when you install them, they may offer Avast as a
separate install but, if you use the custom install, it's something you can prevent.
The bundled install is something that's part of another programs install. It isn't Avast installing itself.
If you care to share details and are looking for help, then please provide those details.

Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline bayonetta14.1974

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2021, 12:29:12 AM »
There may be some programs that when you install them, they may offer Avast as a
separate install but, if you use the custom install, it's something you can prevent.
The bundled install is something that's part of another programs install. It isn't Avast installing itself.
If you care to share details and are looking for help, then please provide those details.

What a load of garbage.

It was a Windows update that installed it. I didn't have it before the update then I had it.

I know for a fact it wasn't on my PC untill the update.

It wasn't from anything else either.

Never heard of Avast ubtil it downloaded itself on to my computer.

Think about it why would I install Avast when I have 2 far superior anti-virus programmes installed.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2021, 02:41:55 AM »

It was a Windows update that installed it. I didn't have it before the update then I had it.

I know for a fact it wasn't on my PC untill the update.

It wasn't from anything else either.
<snip>

How/why the hell would a windows update install it, can you really see Microsoft including any antivirus (exception being Windows Defender) in a windows update. 

Just think if that was what would happen if avast was installed by a windows update, the Avast and various forums would be on fire with it. Not to mention MS would be getting flamed also for installing a 3rd party antivirus with a windows update.  Especially as they have their own AV in Windows Defender antivirus, which has to be disabled to install another antivirus.

Yes you might well have noticed it after the windows update, which requires a restart to be applied.  So too would Avast need a restart to complete the installation.

There have been instances of programs installations having avast antivirus as a pre-checked option, though I have never come across one.  I normally do a custom install of any program I install to ensure I only get what components I want and don't get any unwanted linked programs.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2021, 02:48:02 AM »
Think about it why would I install Avast when I have 2 far superior anti-virus programmes installed.
Likely due to lack of knowledge, never install more than one AV on a system at any one time.

Avast also isn't installed via Windows update, though programs such as CCleaner can install Avast if the user is not careful to untick the prechecked boxes during install.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2021, 03:55:30 AM »
Likely due to lack of knowledge, never install more than one AV on a system at any one time.

Avast also isn't installed via Windows update, though programs such as CCleaner can install Avast if the user is not careful to untick the prechecked boxes during install.

A simple Google search will result in dozens of articles to inform of the negative impact ofhaving more then ONE anti virus installed on the same OS.

Here is just one article.

https://www.kaspersky.com/blog/multiple-antivirus-programs-bad-idea/2670/