Author Topic: Avast! Script Blocker Problem  (Read 16597 times)

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
Avast! Script Blocker Problem
« on: May 24, 2007, 09:18:06 PM »
I'm a new I.T. Consultant for a few churches and their associated schools.  I've used other Anti-virus programs in the past, (AVG, McAfee, etc...) but I'm still pretty new to Avast.

I'm having a problem with Avast 4 Server Suite.  I have the ADNM Console installed and I have all of the clients controlled with it.

The problem is that there is a specific website that the teachers here are using that seems to being blocked (not blocked exactly, but it takes a LONG time to load, and prevents css from running. Ex. it shows html code in these forms on the website and doesn't show certain buttons or pictures etc.) by avast when they access it.  We initially thought it was the content filter on their sonicwall router, but later we found out that it's the script blocker, preventing css and other scripts from running on this website (we found this out by using Mozilla, and Avant Browser and since those browsers aren't being protected by avast, they work great).

Can I go somewhere in the ADNM console and make an, "allowed" website, where the script blocker won't run, (like a white-list) and then update the clients to make it work for them as well?

I don't know, but the ADNM software seems to be a little cumbersome, it's like you have to set the settings that you want, and then install the software on all of the clients, and hope that everything is set right the first time, otherwise you're stuck with it.

It seems to me like there should be an easier way to do things like reset the avast password on all clients, update avast program settings on the fly, and have all of the agents on the individual clients update the information.

Maybe there is a way, and I just haven't found it yet.  I don't really know.

Thanks for everyone's help in advance for my ignorance!
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Avast! Script Blocker Problem
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 10:07:00 PM »
We initially thought it was the content filter on their sonicwall router, but later we found out that it's the script blocker, preventing css and other scripts from running on this website (we found this out by using Mozilla, and Avant Browser and since those browsers aren't being protected by avast, they work great).

Did you try to stop (or maybe uninstall) the Script Blocker provider on one client and see if it helps?

Can I go somewhere in the ADNM console and make an, "allowed" website, where the script blocker won't run, (like a white-list) and then update the clients to make it work for them as well?

No. The Script Blocker works differently than you expect, I think. The browser (IE in this case) extracts the scripts from the page and passes them to Script Blocker. It scans them for viruses and if everything is OK, the browser continues execution. There's no whitelist... and the scanning itself shouldn't affect the execution in any way.

I don't know, but the ADNM software seems to be a little cumbersome, it's like you have to set the settings that you want, and then install the software on all of the clients, and hope that everything is set right the first time, otherwise you're stuck with it.

You can modify the settings in ADNM (such as modifying the resident task) and propagate it to the clients; no need to reinstall for sure.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 05:31:34 PM »
Yes, by disabling the script blocker, there doesn't seem to be a problem apparently.  I say apparently because I'm not at this location right now, but one of the teachers there said that it worked when she disabled it.  I don't really know why it would cause the website to be so slow, or prevent them from using it since you said that it just gets code passed from the browser to avast then executes if there is no problems.  I know that there is no viruses, so why it takes so long is very strange.

Anyway, I don't want to give the password away to disable anything for all of the other teachers, because they tend to forget things, and I know that if they disable it, they won't remember to turn it back on when they're done with that website.

I also don't want them to disable anything else or mess with the settings, so giving them the password is out of the question.

The teachers have been dealing with this problem for a couple of weeks, and school's about to be out for summer, and I'm thinking that we're just going to use the different browsers next year.  As for now, they said that they can deal with it.

As for the advise about modifying the resident task, I appreciate that, and I'll have to look to see what else I can do with it.
Thanks again for your help!
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 06:44:08 PM »
Is there any way we could try to reproduce the problem ourselves (if it's bound to a specific website)? If it's really a Script Blocker problem, we'd like to investigate it...

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 07:53:13 PM »
Not to the best of my knowledge (I don't have a login, since I'm just the I.T. guy that works for them once a week) and it's all for grading or something that the teachers use.  I don't think they want anyone in there but the teachers themselves.  I can however give you the website if that helps you in anyway...

stjoanarc.archbalt.rubiconatlas.org

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 08:00:48 PM »
I found something else as well.  On the vendor's site, there is a "test drive" ability.  If you're willing to take a look at it, (ie. don't have anything else to do on a slow day) then go here http://www.rubicon.com/AtlasTestDrive.html and check it out.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 03:05:48 PM by scythe944 »