Author Topic: Avast Causing Internet Connection Problems!  (Read 5500 times)

tonybologna

Avast Causing Internet Connection Problems!
« on: June 06, 2007, 10:07:54 PM »
Hello! First of all, I have been using Avast Home Edition for about 3 years now. I like this anti-virus program. There have been some minor issue in the past with this home edition but nothing that couldn't be easily fixed. However, I have been experiencing internet problems off & on now for over a year.

I couldn't get the problem resolved back last year so I done a complete re-install of the OS which was probably needed anyhow. Everything was back to normal with the internet until recently. I have been experiencing off & on problems again with getting on the internet. What I did this time is "Pause" the "Web Shield" protection with Avast & all of a sudden things go back to normal again.

Now, I tried numerous things in the past but nothing seemed to work. This time it appears that the "Web Shield" is causing the problem. I can disable numerous other programs but only after stopping/pausing the "Web Shield" does the internet work properly again.

I even had my ISP out to our home a couple times last year to try to resolve the problem because I thought it was a connection problem on their end. Nothing was ever found & even the technician guy didn't know what might be wrong on the PC to cause the issue. This just showed that no problem was happening with the outside connection so their had to be a problem on the PC.

I didn't really search through the forums before posting because I remember trying to find something last year to help me out but never came across anything. What might be causing the issue here guys? Does the "AshWebsv.exe" file become corrupt/damaged or what is exactly happening? BTW, I am running Windows XP edition! Thanks!  ???

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast Causing Internet Connection Problems!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 11:49:32 PM »
There has to be something else in the mix as you wouldn't have been having problems on and off, the web shield should either work or not and not be an intermittent problem if nothing changes.

There have been a number of program updated during the last year and after each one depending on your firewall you will be asked permission for ashWebSv.exe (the web shield) to connect, if you fail to allow that it won't work.

What is your firewall (ZA from your earlier Post if not changed, free or pro) ?
Does it allow ashWebSv.exe internet access (ZA has a habit of forgetting settings even when set to allow, see below) ?
- If it does delete the entries for them and do a manual update and reconnect to the internet, this will force the firewall to ask permission again.

Also see, http://www.avast.com/eng/webshield_issues.html.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

tonybologna

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 04:19:27 AM »
There has to be something else in the mix as you wouldn't have been having problems on and off, the web shield should either work or not and not be an intermittent problem if nothing changes.

There have been a number of program updated during the last year and after each one depending on your firewall you will be asked permission for ashWebSv.exe (the web shield) to connect, if you fail to allow that it won't work.

What is your firewall (ZA from your earlier Post if not changed, free or pro) ?
Does it allow ashWebSv.exe internet access (ZA has a habit of forgetting settings even when set to allow, see below) ?
- If it does delete the entries for them and do a manual update and reconnect to the internet, this will force the firewall to ask permission again.

Also see, http://www.avast.com/eng/webshield_issues.html.

When I update/upgrade to a newer version of Avast Home I have no warning messages probably due to using the Windows SP2 Firewall. If this doesn't pertain to the Web Shield then why does the internet work when I stop the Web Shield? Now, granted in the past I haven't really tried this to see what might happen. I just thought of this today when I couldn't all of a sudden access the internet.

This problem really goes in like a cycle. It will happen for a couple days & go away for a while but come back again at a later time. In the past I hadn't tried anything with the Web Shield so this was a first attempt on that part of Avast. I just know this is getting really aggravating indeed. What's so weird is that I have Accuweather on my desktop & even when I can't access the internet via IE or Firefox(have both browsers) I can still get the weather updating with the temperature from the system tray. It's like it applies to my browsers only & not anything that would update from the system tray. Anyhow, thanks for the response but I still am searching for a fix.  ???

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 03:25:21 PM »
Are you also still using ZA as well ?

This is the problem of intermittent problems, since nothing has changed in the web shield interface then it should work as normal. When you can't connect what error messages are displayed, it may point in a direction that could help ?

How do you connect to the internet ?
Does your ISP have you use a proxy to connect ?
Do you use any other software that uses an internet proxy (web accelerator, etc.) ?

Accuweather probably doesn't use port 80 so doesn't go through the web shield proxy.

I would read the webshield_issues link I gave in my last post and see if there is anything there that rigs a bell.

You could also manually set-up the browsers to use the web shield proxy and see if that helps.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

tonybologna

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 03:46:01 PM »
@DavidR:

Are you also still using ZA as well ?

No! I was a previous user of ZAP but that was way before the recent re-install of the OS. I think the last time I used ZAP was in early 2004 so that shouldn't be an issue.

When you can't connect what error messages are displayed, it may point in a direction that could help ?

Well, with IE7 I get the famous error message of "The Page Can't Be Displayed". With Firefox, I am getting basically nothing except for the "Done" reading from the bottom left corner where the page loading bar displays. The "Done" status appears almost immediately upon trying to view any site but just a total blank page appears.

How do you connect to the internet ?

We have a cable modem(high-speed) & it is pretty new because when these problems started last year Charter(ISP) gave us a brand new one.

Does your ISP have you use a proxy to connect ?

No proxy involved.

Do you use any other software that uses an internet proxy (web accelerator, etc.) ?

No!

Accuweather probably doesn't use port 80 so doesn't go through the web shield proxy.

Probably so!

I would read the webshield_issues link I gave in my last post and see if there is anything there that rigs a bell.

Read through that last night but nothing seemed to ring a bell though.

You could also manually set-up the browsers to use the web shield proxy and see if that helps.

I may try that as an option to see what happens.

I know you gave me some options & things to try here but what are some things that might cause the internet to work when stopping the Web Shield? You state that something else is otherwise interfering with the connection but I have manually disabled program one at a time to see if anything else might be in conflict but nothing happens. However, when I stop the Web Shield all is back to normal & at normal surfing speeds for my connection. Thanks again!  ???

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 04:00:50 PM »
Honestly I haven't the first idea why this would be happening intermittently as it is, and in the past anything like this was associated with a firewall (commonly ZA) somehow getting amnesia even though an application was allowed access nothing happened, deletion of the ashwebsv.exe entry forces it to ask again and restored things to normal.

I have had the same happen on my firewall once and whilst browsing suddenly no more access, same firefox symptom, checked firewall ashwebsv.exe allowed access, deleted entry, answered yes and bingo back in business.

Now the XP firewall (if it can be accurately called that) doesn't have outbound protection, however, it may still have an entry for ashwebsv.exe. I think the manual setup to use the web shield proxy may be you best bet.

How to disable transparent web shield proxy and allow only those browsers you want use it:
In avast! go to Web Shield provider, Customize..., Basic tab, blank the redirected HTTP port field (remove the 80). Now no browser can use webshield unless you manually configure it to use Web Shield.

For IE - broadband users: - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for IE. I don't know if this is correct for IE7, I don't use it.
For Firefox users - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for Firefox

As  final aside, I believe you should be using a full firewall. Whilst the windows XP firewall is usually good at keeping your ports stealthed (hidden) it provides no outbound protection and you should consider a third party firewall.

Any malware that manages to get past your defences will have free reign to connect to the internet to either download more of the same, pass your personal data (sensitive or otherwise, user names, passwords, keylogger retrieved data, etc.) or open a backdoor to your computer, so outbound protection is essential.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2007, 04:21:37 PM »
tonybologna, why don't you give a try in one of other two free firewalls like Comodo and PC Tools?
I've give up on ZA and passed to Comodo. Bob, another 'old' forum member, did the same to PC Tools...
Better protection, stability and not all bells & whistles like in ZA nowadays.
The best things in life are free.

tonybologna

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2007, 05:00:39 PM »
@DavidR:

Now the XP firewall (if it can be accurately called that) doesn't have outbound protection, however, it may still have an entry for ashwebsv.exe.

I have went into the XP Firewall & allowed the ashWebsv.exe but that too hasn't helped. I had already placed Avast in the "Exceptions" list a long time ago but I went & allowed each Avast service individually but to no avail.

As  final aside, I believe you should be using a full firewall. Whilst the windows XP firewall is usually good at keeping your ports stealthed (hidden) it provides no outbound protection and you should consider a third party firewall.

I have used so many third-party firewalls in the past. At some point in time there are always some type problems happening with all of the ones I've tried. Now, I have already d/l to Comodo firewall some time ago & have been thinking about trying that one out.

@Tech:

tonybologna, why don't you give a try in one of other two free firewalls like Comodo and PC Tools?

Like I stated to DavidR, I have d/l the Comodo firewall & had been thinking about using it. I don't like the reviews about the PC Tools firewall. I have read too many that have complained about it. Comodo seems to have pretty good reviews so I may try it out. I agree with DavidR in that the regular Windows XP Firewall isn't the best but with all the other issues with these third-party firewalls then I'm just worried.

I can't now think of the one I was using before turning back to Windows but it worked so well for a while & then problems started. Sunbelt/Kerio is what it's called. Just came to mind. Anyhow, thanks guys & I'll see what I can do!  :)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 05:03:21 PM by tonybologna »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 05:58:15 PM »
I would personally be more concerned about the risk of having no outbound protection (with all that goes wit it) than having some issues with a third party firewall.

The one you are unlikely to have tried is PC Tools Firewall and there are many forum members using it. Not to mention if you are having problems, you aren't on your own, we will help if we can.

tonybologna

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2007, 01:50:21 AM »
OK guys! I removed Avast & added Comodo Firewall. Now, things are back to normal again. I am going to re-install Avast to see if the problem pops back up again. I feel that somehow the Web Shield becomes corrupt/damaged after a period of time or something along those lines. I mean the internet problem goes away when stopping this service when I'm having internet issues. I have tried about everything else I know but this is the only thing that solves the problem. Thanks guys & I'll get back later after testing Avast out again.  ;)

Carsac

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2007, 03:25:05 PM »
Hello guys,

I have the same problem with my netconnection. It has started some days ago. I use Kerio personal firewall as well. However, I am trying the Comodo, I hope it will solve the problem.